Seattle Eats - what's good?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'll be in Seattle this weekend for a conference and am trying to find a place to eat that's not too $$$, isn't pizza, isnt vegetarian, isn't Ivars (much as I do like Ivars, actually) and is closer to downtown vs. the U. I'll be straight-up: I've been to Seattle at least a dozen times and I've yet to have a memorable meal there. I'm not trying to diss: I blame myself for not doing more to find better places to eat. Ergo, here I am, asking.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Have you tried the Noodle Ranch downtown? The yam curry is very good.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I think Chan Dog has this handled. I'm extremely low brow with my food selections.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Noodle Ranch is the first place I thought of too!
    It's good solid Pan-Asian noodle style.
    This is really Chan's thread he is the real foodie on here.
    I would recommend The Baguette Box on Pine, at the very bottom of Capitol Hill, grubbin'
    upscale sandwiches.
    Or the Honey Hole on Pike, also on Capitol Hill.
    Or you should hit up Salumi's for good authentic Italian Sandwiches, it's run
    by Mario Bitali's parents-Anthony Bourdain went there when he came through Seattle.
    That's just off the top of the dome.

Pop conference huh?
    I'd say holler but I'll be in Portland for the Night Owl Record show.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I ate at some random greasy spoon type spot a few years ago that had the biggest and best omelet I have ever had...thus=memorable.

Quick Google search says Beth's Cafe was the spot. Not fancy, not a "date" spot, but worth a visit.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    haha...noodle ranch made me think of spaghetti warehouse

ashame you choose to eschew vegetarian
    seattle boasts Cafe Flora...one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the country. doesnt really even matter that its veg. top of the line.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can't do pan-Asian noodle folks. I'm a noodle snob and there's just no possible way this place could be that good.

I'm with low brow though so Jake - hit me.

Salumi's sounds promising.

• MTKMTK 45 Posts
    Izzy's is a high end pizzeria that mainly caters to high end clientele, you should give them a shot.

If you don't mind me asking would this be for the EMP Pop Conference?

EMP, no doubt.

I'm going to skip pizza. I've been burned too many times before - it's just not worth it.

• MTKMTK 45 Posts
    My suggestion was merely a well disguised zinger - Izzy's is the most white trash pizza buffet on the face of the planet bar none

I actually heard someone at the Evt Izzy's ask for "3 buf-fits", it was pretty awesome.

Sounds like you've been here plenty of times so I will spare the obvious choices but I like the pad thai in Lower Queen Anne, blue water taco in lower queen anne is also good, and than brothers Pho on capitol hill is great too

See: now this is what I'm talmabout:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-asadero-seattle-2

Only...some place closer to downtown since I'll be driving a pickup truck with no room for extra peeps.

I'm going to skip pizza. I've been burned too many times before - it's just not worth it.

Burned by pizza?
    You mean like hot cheese sticking to the roof of your mouth?

Even the worst pizza is still pretty good, IMHO.
    Except maybe for the 90sumthin cent a slice pizza you
    get in Van Can.

Peep: when I was there last year (also for EMP), I somehow got talked into walking something like 20 blocks to go to this "great pizza place" which might very well have been but turned out to have a 40 minute wait (this after walking half an hour already) to sit down. And this after we had passed up more than a few perfectly serviceable pizza spots on the way over anyway. So there's no way I'm going to try for pizza again this year. I don't care if it's supposed to be better than Grimaldi's + Mozza combined.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Oliver,

Check you PMs. I'll be around all weekend. We can go eat at some good spots. The Canadian hommie Sipreano will be at the same EMP event and he is down to go out for dinner. You, Jake Weezey, Spireano and me should do dinner while you guys are in town.

Chan

Peep: when I was there last year (also for EMP), I somehow got talked into walking something like 20 blocks to go to this "great pizza place" which might very well have been but turned out to have a 40 minute wait (this after walking half an hour already) to sit down. And this after we had passed up more than a few perfectly serviceable pizza spots on the way over anyway. So there's no way I'm going to try for pizza again this year. I don't care if it's supposed to be better than Grimaldi's + Mozza combined.

Waiting for pizza is wack agreed, shits is supposed to be fast.

Was it Via Tribunali? That is the only place in Seattle with good pizza. The other good pizza spot is down south by the airport at Filibertos.

• Piecora's on Madison isn't bad for a slice.

Co-sign on the Honey Hole on Pike - that spot is FIRE.

Piecora's on Madison isn't bad for a slice.

Sorry hommie, Piecora's on Madison is Wiki-Wiki-WACK!!!!!!!!

• Seattle has the great breakfast/brunch spots. Man, I miss those. There's a place at the top of Queen Anne, the Five Spot. Pretty close to EMP, but you have to walk up a big a big ass hill. They don't fuck around with the breakfast in there.

• And I'm a fan of Dragonfish for the sushi. Good happy hour if I remember right.

Seattle has the great breakfast/brunch spots. Man, I miss those. There's a place at the top of Queen Anne, the Five Spot. Pretty close to EMP, but you have to walk up a big a big ass hill. They don't fuck around with the breakfast in there.

Breakfast at the Five Spot is good.

And I'm a fan of Dragonfish for the sushi. Good happy hour if I remember right.

Sushi at Dragonfish is NOT good.

• Haha, I was waiting for that. I remember some people not loving it, but I'm no sushi aficionado.

Piecora's on Madison isn't bad for a slice.

Sorry hommie, Piecora's on Madison is Wiki-Wiki-WACK!!!!!!!!

I like Piecora's alright, but I like Pagliacci so what do I know.

Chan: I'll check the PM. It'd be cool to get up with folks - maybe for dinner tonight (it's the only free night I have since my wife and kid get up to Seattle tomorrow). I think Joe Schloss might be in the house too.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    better check out the kingfish... i think its on 12th on the backside of capital ill. i could tell you $5-6 spots to grab a quick bite all day long, but if you're looking for a good meal, kingfish doesn't disappoint. hit up red mill for the fat burgers. mae's phinney ridge cafe is also a dope breakfast spot - or it was anyway. eff a ivar's, spud's fish and chips is the best fried fish in town. there's one on alkai and one on green lake. also, mama's mexican kitchen used to be good too. but i digress, i'm sure chan is the man.

chan, did you ever go to "2 dagos from texas?" it was on first and vine, that place was the shit until it went out of business. i miss that joint.

I like Kingfish but like a lot of upscale soul spots, I find the food to be good but overpriced.

Chan is talking Vietnamese - I can deal with that.

I like Kingfish but like a lot of upscale soul spots, I find the food to be good but overpriced.

Chan is talking Vietnamese - I can deal with that.

Word. It's on. Just got a text from the one Jake Weezey and he will join us for dinner tonight. We'll go to a REALLY good Vietnamese spot in Chinatown. Call me as soon as you are done at the EMP thing and I will get you directions to the restaurant. Have a safe flight up here today and I hope you are not flying on American.

better check out the kingfish... i think its on 12th on the backside of capital ill. i could tell you $5-6 spots to grab a quick bite all day long, but if you're looking for a good meal, kingfish doesn't disappoint. hit up red mill for the fat burgers. mae's phinney ridge cafe is also a dope breakfast spot - or it was anyway. eff a ivar's, spud's fish and chips is the best fried fish in town. there's one on alkai and one on green lake. also, mama's mexican kitchen used to be good too. but i digress, i'm sure chan is the man.

chan, did you ever go to "2 dagos from texas?" it was on first and vine, that place was the shit until it went out of business. i miss that joint.

Kingfish is good, but the food at JoAnna's on 25th & Cherry is really good soul/southern food. We had the guys from JoAnna's come out and cook for Earth Wind And Fire and Stevie Wonder and all the band and crew were raving about the food. Spud's fish and chips on Alki is the realness and Red Mill burgers are EXTRA OFFICIAL!!!!!! I love their verde burger with the green chile.

• I'll be in Seattle this weekend for a conference

anything of the panels in particular you're excited about?

also, cosine on the 5 Spot - and it's just over a mile from the EMP (head up Quenn Anne hill). Just don't go there between 10am-1pm on the weekends. It would be great for a Friday morning breakfast tho.

the other place I'd suggest is about 5 blocks south of the EMP on 5th Ave and it's called Panos Kleftiko. If you're into real greek food, it's legit. Futhermore, it's right next to Cafe Vita, which is near the best coffee in town, IMO.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Schedule is tight but will try to catch up with ya'll tonight!!! If not fall through the See sound lounge for a drink afterwards. 115 Blanchard bet. 1st and 2nd ave. I will be playing as well.