Ebay Australia forces all users to use paypal

PunditPundit 438 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I can see a slate of alternative auction sites opening up in june somehow... news story here EBAY Australia users will be forced to use the company's online commerce website PayPal under new security measures prohibiting direct deposit and money orders as payment methods.From June, all items on eBay Australia will have to be paid for online using a PayPal account or a Visa or Mastercard transaction through PayPal. Buyers will still be able to pay for an item with cash if they are picking it up in person.PayPal, which is owned by eBay, charges a fee of between 1.1 and 2.4 per cent per credit card payment, which will be collected on top of existing charges to list and sell items through the auction website.eBay trust and safety director Alastair MacGibbon said forcing PayPal to "stand in between buyers and sellers" would reduce the likelihood of conflict and increase consumer confidence."eBay is no longer willing to stand aside and allow payment methods on the site that are proven to be less safe for consumers," he said."You're four times less likely to have a problem on eBay if you pay with PayPal than, say, if you used internet banking."Mr MacGibbon said he expected a "small but vocal minority" of users to oppose the changes, which will force all eBay Australia sellers to use a PayPal account."There are always some people who take a while to accept change," he said."Most sellers already have a PayPal account. If you've been a new seller for the last year and a half you've had to be offering PayPal anyway in your listings."But boosting buyer confidence would stimulate activity and ultimately benefit sellers, and eBay, Mr MacGibbon said."By reducing the likelihood of things going wrong and by increasing buyer confidence there will be a stimulus to the five or so million eBay users in Australia," he said."If it's good for buyers, it's good for sellers and therefore good for eBay."The changes also include an increase to the PayPal Buyer Protection scheme claim limit for Australian users, from $3000 to $20,000.Mr MacGibbon said figures for how many people had accessed the protection fund in Australia were not available."Clearly it's discretionary... (but) you don't have a buyer protection program in place that you don't intend to pay out," he said.International eBay sites would monitor the changes made in Australia and decide whether to follow suit, Mr MacGibbon said.All items listed on eBay Australia must offer PayPal as a payment method by May 21, while payment methods such as direct deposit and money orders will be banned from

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What a crock. I have used direct bank deposit numerous times for both buying and selling on ebay inside Australia. Everyone prefers it and I haven't had a single problem in relation to any of those transactions.

paypal on the other hand...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I use paypal for everything I sell/buy on eBay, might suck for some, but won't really change the way I do things... I registered for a US account anyways... that might be a way around it?

And... Mark, if you want to pay via direct deposit

"Buyers will still be able to pay for an item with cash if they are picking it up in person."

I'm sure you can just say you will be doing a pick up and then just deposit the cash into the persons account...

Australia's been suckin' ass on the whole mp3/dj/record game lately.... someone post some good news about the land down under for once...

typical farken whingin' aussie carnts...

Yeah, if you're not in Auatralia and buying and selling with Australians it won't make any difference.

The current benefit id though that you can pay really easily with netbank and there's 0 fees for buyers or sellers and the payment is pretty much instant. It's like free paypal.

Say you're doin' a pickup.

netbank them. have them send it. have them mark it off paid.

easy.

unless you're dealing with people with shitty feedback... who you shouldn't be buyin' records from in the first place.

?? maybe i'm missing something but it seems simple to get around it?

b

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    more a case of go get fucked ebay as far as i'm concerned.

Yeah Bev, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. In some cases I do do locl pick-up anyway.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    http://web.ebay.co.uk/businesshub/index.php?page=safe_payments

This probably is best here, if it is not already widely know about.

no raers for you j***!

did u forget, you live in Brisbane... home of the shit?

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

no raers for you j***!

did u forget, you live in Brisbane... home of the shit?

To clarify: I believe B***n is disparaging the crappy (no pun intended) home city we share, rather than declaring it to be "the shit".

Sheep has the deepest crates in Brisneyland (correct me if i'm wrong dude)

Seriously,

combined with all this mp3/dj/ebay drama in the newswire...

and mutherfuckers starting a FIGHT at my hommies WAKE in Brisbane....

and the small country town styles combined with the tall poppy syndrome....

I'm seriously considering moving away for good, if not overseas, at least to another state... it's too slow... don't you think Bobby?

Oh dude, after splitting my time between here and Melbourne (where the ex was living) most of last year - the place drives me crazy. Old geezers look me up and down on the street with contempt coz I'm wearing a scarf. And the quiet racism is pretty fucked too. One of my best freinds is Thai and I go out alot with her and her young son (whose dad is white aussie) just shopping and stuff, and the looks we get are pretty nasty some of the time.

I wouldn't mind bringing up kids here, but thats not really in the immediate future so I don't think i'll be here much longer.

I feel the same, perfect place to relax, great place to bring up kids... lots of room... but I feel like people's heads are seriously 15 years back sometimes... anyhow, I'll quit my bitchin'

did u hear about the fight at the DJ Angus memorial gig?

No? WTF? Some lame beef i'm sure. Did you catch this on youtube -

yeah, nostalgic and unfortunatley sad shit for me to watch....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=122481012

listen to the tune he did with a flav shout out... dude was kinda coming back hard...

Definitely a sad day for the scene here.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Looks like this might come back to bite ebay in the arse.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/watchd...8025245331.html

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Looks like this might come back to bite ebay in the arse.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/watchd...8025245331.html

LOL - this definitely wouldn't go over in the US, hopefully they will be thwarted in Aus as well...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Well I kinda hope they do fuckup and give some others a shot at the pie. Plus I've just setup an online store for our shop so screw em.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    it's not like you're buying any bona fide raer from ebay australia anyway, all the good shit is on the us and uk sites.. occasionally the very odd things turns up...