tax question, plaese to helping

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm doing my taxes on the turbotax machine and when i ran through my state return it says I owe nothing and I am not getting a refund. Do I still need to file it? Turbotax wants money to file it, but whats the point?Do i need to file it?Here's the skinny:I barely made any money last year and it was all under self employment tax. I didn't have any w-2's. I only had two 1099s and random income from music. After my deductions and whatnot I was down to a small taxable amount. If I owe nothing on the state and I am not getting a refund i can just skip it right? I don't want to pay $39 for nothing.

Comments

• edubedub 715 Posts
    pay 41 cents and the cost of an envelope by printing that shit out and sending it by mail...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    word. I'll have to figure out how to bypass it. Turbotax will not show you the actual forms unless you pay. They're smart. I bet I can figure it out though.

My taxes are sort of complicated because it's all self employment with deductions (schedule c), so I end up using turbotax because they generally find things I wouldn't on my own.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Dude, you haaaavvveee to file. No matter what.

Good thing state taxes are mad easy compared to federal, because you just enter in lines from the federal on the state.

Download the state tax pdf and fill it out yourself, normally it's a one or maybe two pager. Easy peasy.

• don't forget our presidents insanely brilliant plan to stimulate the economy by sending all tax payers $600. you don't file, you don't get it. so that $39 fee can be parlayed to a $561 profit. cha-ching.

i could be wrong about the sum, but i know g. dub is cuttin checks.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the state tax thing doesn't involve the federal stimulus package ziggy. That's federal.

I normally file both no question, but this year I was at home a lot and lived off of some saved up money. I just questioned whether or not I needed to do it when I saw it was $0 on my turbotax form. I owe the feds some money.

Ok, disregard this post. I shall be filing shortly.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Dude, you haaaavvveee to file. No matter what.

Thats not true - there is a minimum you have to earn (I think it used to be $8xxx)

• reading is not my forte. pardons.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    you do realize that the california state website will let you file your taxes online for free right?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you do realize that the california state website will let you file your taxes online for free right?

He's saying he uses this program because it figures shit out for you, its not the kind where you just plug the values into the form...