1, 2 Pass It appreciation

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm sure it's been posted before, but came across the video and damned if the collaboration still isn't dope.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I seem to remember a remix of this being a little better?
    And Mad Lion is forgetable

• You diss Mad Lion you diss yourself.

Within the past year I've picked up like 6 Mad Lion 12s at swap meets and thrifts and I like them all. KRS-One boom bap along with growled reggae vocals sounds good to my ears. But, you know, I'm not real hip hop.

You diss Mad Lion you diss yourself.

Within the past year I've picked up like 6 Mad Lion 12s at swap meets and thrifts and I like them all. KRS-One boom bap along with growled reggae vocals sounds good to my ears. But, you know, I'm not real hip hop.

Plaese to report to the Confessions of a Backpacker thread.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I seem to remember a remix of this being a little better?
    And Mad Lion is forgetable

I prefer the remix as well. The original is ill, but the Premier mix is my favorite.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I always liked this track. Primo + Charles Mingus = All good. The remix loop has got horns in it and I think the drums are different. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    HOORAY for being a good song.

But, BOO for being such a good song that it made/makes me unable to reject every single thing that Fat Joe has ever done.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    You diss Mad Lion you diss yourself.

I'm currently dissing myself then....

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The original and the remix are both hot. None of the MCs are performing brain surgery on the mic, but they all sound dope over those beats and I find myself remembering ever single word of everyone's lyrics. The teacher played himself with that "David Koppel" line, though.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    None of the MCs are performing brain surgery on the mic, but they all sound dope over those beats and I find myself remembering ever single word of everyone's lyrics. The teacher played himself with that "David Koppel" line, though.

"your career will be as short as my part in Who's the Man"

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

i gotta agree but Tek and Steele kinda killed it in the video.

• Options
    Yep, I do for this still.

• i really like that tune!

"motherfuckers know who's the best, if it ain't fat joe than it must be lord finesse"

-> no, it is not fat joe
    -> yes, it is lord finesse

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

But, BOO for being such a good song that it made/makes me unable to reject every single thing that Fat Joe has ever done.

saying...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Milo's remix was always okay to me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I will never be able to hear this song without hearing doo-wop dropping it out at the end of the "don't grab this mic, the shit's..." and going "TOOO HOOOOOTTTTTTTT"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yes, but Fat Joe sucked as usual on the song, so his track record of suckitude remains unblemished...he just happened to appear on a good song (and get some good beats on his earlier projects).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

yep. aside from this and maybe 1-2 other guest shots, the guy's whole career has been garbage. his only good song was primo's mix of shit is real and that's thanks to primo. no talent. no idea why is still around. hatt me now.

where's that Fat Joe appreciation thread? I think it was "Fat Joe is actually a good rapper" and as I recall the one deej initiated it. I bet there's some genius observatons in there...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    you wouldnt say that to his face, though

tek and steele are always dope, but the whole song is kindof boring. besides krs going "biddip biddip"

yep. aside from this and maybe 1-2 other guest shots, the guy's whole career has been garbage. his only good song was primo's mix of shit is real and that's thanks to primo. no talent. no idea why is still around. hatt me now.

where's that Fat Joe appreciation thread? I think it was "Fat Joe is actually a good rapper" and as I recall the one deej initiated it. I bet there's some genius observatons in there...

Ill rep him. The first album is cool.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    my friend always though that joe would just staunch everyone to get on all those records. Why else would dudes put him on. I like his first album and that premo and dj slip remix of shit is real is fire. 12 Pass was rinsed so hard over here that my eyes used to glaze over every time it was dropped. But its nice to hear again after a space of a few years.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I really like "John Blaze" from ~1998 w/ Nas, Rae, Pun and Jadakiss... but it would be better without Joe.

There's not a single good track released under dude's name that you can't say that about.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    It's funny, I heard Joe's new terd on the radio the other day and I think I actually said out loud, "Fat Joe really needs to stop making records." I'm a golden-era real schitt rider and it takes a lot for me to say stuff like that and mean it. The more I think about it, the more I hate on most if not all of his output.

Like Faux said (or at least implied), his "good" tracks are good despite him, not because of him.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "Never liked ball so to hell with the Rucker"

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    you wouldnt say that to his face, though

haha what's your point? if that were the criterion for acceptable rapp criticism this board would have about a quarter as many poasts and poasters, and "hip-hop journalism" as we know it would cease to exist.

(now that I think about it, neither of those is such a bad outcome...)