Would you trust eBay sale like this..?

BeatdaddyBeatdaddy 22 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I'm bidding on a record at the moment which is well over $100 so far, the seller has only sold 1 record before and the high bidder has bought nothing (0), both seller and high bidder were registered around the same time. It seems fishy to me and smacks of bid ramping, what would you think?I've got my limit for what I think it's worth at the end of the day and will stick to it.Cheers

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Don't worry, if you aren't sniping it at the last second, 99 percent chance you'll get outbid anyway...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    These days I am very warry of dodgy looking sellers on ebay. If it were me, I would pass on that kind of scenario. Could be legit, but I wouldn't want to test the water with my $100.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I've got my limit for what I think it's worth at the end of the day and will stick to it.

Cheers

is that you P*t* ?

Anyhow, I wouldn't trust him blindly. I'd consider emailing him and asking for some "proof" as a credible seller. Even a referral from someone who might have done business with him outside of ebay?

You can also think about getting some paypal protection plan if you are going to pay via paypal.

Good luck,

M

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I'm bidding on a record at the moment which is well over $100 so far, the seller has only sold 1 record before and the high bidder has bought nothing (0), both seller and high bidder were registered around the same time. It seems fishy to me and smacks of bid ramping, what would you think?
    I've got my limit for what I think it's worth at the end of the day and will stick to it.
    Cheers

It's all too common a practise mate. And if you know what your ceiling is, I guess there's no point in sniping.

Trust all is good with you though, mate - any Eden Projects lined up?

G

• BeatdaddyBeatdaddy 22 Posts
    I'm bidding on a record at the moment which is well over $100 so far, the seller has only sold 1 record before and the high bidder has bought nothing (0), both seller and high bidder were registered around the same time. It seems fishy to me and smacks of bid ramping, what would you think?
    Cheers

It's all too common a practise mate. And if you know what your ceiling is, I guess there's no point in sniping.

G

Hi G
    I do have a snipe and have not put in any bids on the bay itself. This is maddening though as I've been after the record for bleeding years, sod it, here's the record in question, have a look yourself and see what you think, it's late today.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4746498755

you missed our last eden show, 1100 people, QSO absolutely rocked it! Maybe another show later in the year.
    Cheers
    P

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I didn't know about that Eden, mate! I'ld have loved to have seen the boys play there. Bet that was proper rockin'.

That bidding history looks very suspicious. He's upped his own bid by $10 by the looks of it. I think you have a case, P....but what can you do except sit it out.

I got some news for you, mate - any chance you can PM me your phone number cos my phone crashed a while back.

I didn't know about that Eden, mate! I'ld have loved to have seen the boys play there. Bet that was proper rockin'.

That bidding history looks very suspicious. He's upped his own bid by $10 by the looks of it. I think you have a case, P....but what can you do except sit it out.

I got some news for you, mate - any chance you can PM me your phone number cos my phone crashed a while back.

uummm, maybe I'll cancel my snipe, arrrgggghhhhh I so want that record! What would you think it's worth anyway? My snipe is not far off what the bid is now and what I believe is about right.
    I'll PM you my number right now.
    Cheers
    P

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    uummm, maybe I'll cancel my snipe, arrrgggghhhhh I so want that record! What would you think it's worth anyway? My snipe is not far off what the bid is now and what I believe is about right.

I'll PM you my number right now.

Cheers

P

Cancel your bid if you're not sure, mate and check your pm's. Is it the 7" your looking for of Hecto-mania or the LP as a whole.

I'll call you later, P.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    It is a bit risky cause you've got a dude who could quite easily take yo money and run - if his buddy is hiking bids then it makes it more likely.

Normally people gain trust on ebay by selling cheap stuff first where theres less risk involved.

Yo, what is all the using asterisks in peoples names about?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it ain't worth that...

I mean, it may go for that, but it ain't "worth" that... meaning it's a very good record, but not a great record. A couple nice latin soul cuts, a couple totally nerdy boogaloo cuts (that dinosaur crap is AWFUL), and a couple good latin cuts. Solid but not grail-worthy. Buy a stack of less expensive, better records with that dough.

my 2p.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    DJ Friendly has a copy up now for 75 quid.....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Cheers

Trust your instincts.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Cheers

G

what makes you think he is shill bidding ? the dude that is the high bidder registered in april, the seller registered in july.

i'm sure shill bidding is pretty common though how things are going for on ebay lately.

dave

Hi G
    I do have a snipe and have not put in any bids on the bay itself. This is maddening though as I've been after the record for bleeding years, sod it, here's the record in question, have a look yourself and see what you think, it's late today.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4746498755

you missed our last eden show, 1100 people, QSO absolutely rocked it! Maybe another show later in the year.
    Cheers
    P

what makes you think he is shill bidding ? the dude that is the high bidder registered in april, the seller registered in july.

i'm sure shill bidding is pretty common though on ebay.

dave

well, on deeper ivestigation by contacting all concerned I was happy that all was legit on the sale and bidding. But to my horror got massively outbid anyway, ARSE!