SS set sale sellers (fuc!< ebayR)

beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Dear SS set sale sellers, Can you please stop listing all your grippables on ebay? will you just price them and sell them via the set sale forum?? I hate using ebay for several reasons, and set sales on here seem to go REALLY fast when theyre quality lps so sellers please think about us lil dudes who dont wanna use ebay.. thanks.peace.p.s. my local record store closed so yeah its totally on you now..

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    yo, man people put up alot of set sales but selling on the forum isn't always consistent. I know this from past experiance so ebay is a great way to get rid of alot things you don't want or need.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    funny, I was going to start a similar tread today too. Why not try the board before the bay?

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    yo, man people put up alot of set sales but selling on the forum isn't always consistent. I know this from past experiance so ebay is a great way to get rid of alot things you don't want or need.
    im saying just ebay the terdiest (dont bite!) pieces and price the heat..

This subject has been discussed and sellers (myself) will say it. Nothing against SS but the sales just aren't consistent and I'm talking about putting up some good records. I buy off of here also and when you see some sellers only sale 2 records out of 20, ebay is the best alternative.

Another point that was brought up was the discussion about 100 to 500 dollar records being sold. People just aren't gripping them on these boards, so once again many just bypass the set sale thing and head to ebay.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What's wrong with eBay?

It's fun!

What's wrong with eBay?

It's fun!

Best place to move terds!!

i buy $100 lps on here. im not braggin im just sayin i know it happens. i dont blame a seller for trying to get what they can for their wares but dont sleep on the marketplace available here. whats the worst that happens, you post em here they dont all sell and THEN ebay em..im not telling sellers to do extra work for the grippers benifit, i just know ebay takes their percantage, and after paypal etc. another added benifit is that things can sell right away, no week long bidding games...i dont expect stark reality to appear on here for cheap im just frustrated seeing alot of nice records go off to ebay to sell for generally accepted market values.. why not just price and sell here and then ebay the terdish remainder? it seems i recall many ss set sales being almost sold out in a day or two w/ quality lps available..

i buy $100 lps on here. im not braggin im just sayin i know it happens. i dont blame a seller for trying to get what they can for their wares but dont sleep on the marketplace available here. whats the worst that happens, you post em here they dont all sell and THEN ebay em..im not telling sellers to do extra work for the grippers benifit, i just know ebay takes their percantage, and after paypal etc. another added benifit is that things can sell right away, no week long bidding games...i dont expect stark reality to appear on here for cheap im just frustrated seeing alot of nice records go off to ebay to sell for generally accepted market values.. why not just price and sell here and then ebay the terdish remainder? it seems i recall many ss set sales being almost sold out in a day or two w/ quality lps available..

Last week, I know what you're talking about. Dude, had a copy of OV wright for cheap (hint conditon) and some other nice things. I missed that one, fast hands grip.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    fryers board has separate ebay plug / set sale forums, because everyone got sick of the 10-1 ratio of ebay adverts to things which you could buy.

I think it works quite well - i can check peoples ebay auctions if I like, but i check ebay all the time anyway, when I look at the sales board its nice to see things which are actually for sale, rather than adverts for an auction somewhere else. I know what i look at more.

Yeah, this is one thing that irks me - I wish people would at least
    have to put "eBay" in the heading if it's just an eBay link ... I hate
    when the heading is "Rare Soul LP's For Sale!" and you click on it to
    just find a link to 10-day eBay auctions. Every once in a while somebody
    will post an eBay link that interests me, but 99% of the time I'm only
    looking at the sales forum to check for set sales.

Man, but I love it when four or five set sales pop up at once and theres alot of good stuff available. It happened last month but do to some financial commitments....i missed out.

I hate when the heading is "Rare Soul LP's For Sale!" and you click on it to
    just find a link to 10-day eBay auctions.

4 or 5 sales at once is a waste (for me).. i just want one good set sale every other day or so. deal.

Friday I was just waiting for a good set sale to pop up!!!
    When I have money to spend,thats when I fiend for a set sale.
    When I'm broke all the good shit gets sold on SS!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There is more to this than "price the good records here and sell the bullshit on eBay". It doesn't really work like that. At the end of the day, the money is on eBay not here. Selling on forums is also far from the beautiful hassle free expression of brotherly love that some people make it out to be. I'm not saying that set sales aren't a great way to sell records, or that eBay is always so much better, but these threads are always super bias. Dudes who want Skull Snaps without the bidding war talking up the evils of eBay... until they find some gross $300 modern soul record then it's off to eBay with their 17 feedback points.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    gross

I like how this sounds.

MONSTER PSYCH LP

BREEZY BOSSA LP

GROSS MODERN SOUL LP

• people must shift stuff on the set sales here - as i seem to miss out on everything i want to grip

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    people must shift stuff on the set sales here - as i seem to miss out on everything i want to grip

It's the problem with living in a dif. time zone.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    do what thou wilt.

I log in every 20 mintues when at home and every hour to check the classified sales section to see if something new is up... I stay up late as well.

• people must shift stuff on the set sales here - as i seem to miss out on everything i want to grip

i've grumbled to myself aboutthis many a time. especially with the pricing on the setsales here and on waxidermy still being about a million times cheaper than buying the records here in the UK!!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    people must shift stuff on the set sales here - as i seem to miss out on everything i want to grip

i've grumbled to myself about this many a time. especially with the pricing on the setsales here and on waxidermy still being about a million times cheaper than buying the records here in the UK!!!

Plastic Wax < Set Sales x 1,000,000 + 1

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There is more to this than "price the good records here and sell the bullshit on eBay". It doesn't really work like that. At the end of the day, the money is on eBay not here. Selling on forums is also far from the beautiful hassle free expression of brotherly love that some people make it out to be. I'm not saying that set sales aren't a great way to sell records, or that eBay is always so much better, but these threads are always super bias. Dudes who want Skull Snaps without the bidding war talking up the evils of eBay... until they find some gross $300 modern soul record then it's off to eBay with their 17 feedback points.

i very regularly get better prices at set sale than I i have done on ebay. The opposite is also true of course, depending on teh record, but if you know its a $50 record, why not try it at $50 first, instead of watching 13 watchers not bid after a week. If I find a $300 modern soul record, my instinct is to flip it for $300 immediately to someone on soul-source or fryers, and ebay it if it doesn't sell, because if it doesn't sell immediately to the people who are said to want that sort of thing then they quite possibly don't, and it thus quite probably isn't worth $300 and you might as well let the vicissitudes of ebay-bidders paypal funds sort it out i.e. see it go for $137.56. I don't want Skull Snaps, bidding war or not, but if I did, it would be far easier for me to see one at set sale and then pay out the money being asked.

What's your point?

I was just trying to explain why eBay dealers aren't generally going to offer the cream of their crop on a message board. If you are trying to sell one or two or ten in demand records at a time set sales are great. If you have 50 or 100 or 500 to sell and you want respectable prices for mediocre shit like Dennis Coffey fried chicken panties and one-tracker high school band bonerz then you need to run it on a list with shit like Roy Ayers He's Coming, etc.

• Plastic Wax < Set Sales x 1,000,000 + 1

plastic wax is the shining beacon in an otherwise fairly shite bristol record shopping experience.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Plastic Wax < Set Sales x 1,000,000 + 1

plastic wax is the shining beacon in an otherwise fairly shite bristol record shopping experience.

I always preferred Prime Cuts. Plastic Wax is only good when the soul dude is there and you can go look out the back. I never found much in the shop, and they have piles of crap to wade through. Was I missing out?

I have to have a special point? I don't really, beyond what I said: I was just trying to explain why ebay doesn't always work best, especially for people who aren't ebay dealers, the same type of people I assume you're referring for most of your post e.g. these dudes with the skull snaps and modern record who you are suggesting are the guilty parties when it comes to whinging about ebay. It's not always people who 'don't want a bidding war' from the buying end: sometimes from the selling end its easier to go straight ahead with a set sale rather than risk the hoped for war turning out to be a minor skirmish.
    on this one. The guys with SKULLSnaps that are complaining about EBAy are doing so because situations that occur "Like the whole non paying bidder or charge backs,lost packages". The same complaints come about with the Set Sales on here.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's just simple mathematics. A successful list sells 2/3 of the records on it, if you're posting a list of maybe 30 items across different price ranges you're looking at MAYBE 750-1000 bucks at most.

Whereas on ebay, if I've got a list of 100 items, 90 of them will sell and I will make 4k.

I like to do set sales for a short list of items that I think people will want but I do not like "thinning" out my ebay stash to cherry pick for the message board lists - it makes the auction list a lot less strong.

Also for what it's worth I have had less and less success selling records for the prices I want on these set sales... if something's priced very cheap it's going to fly but I'm not really interested in selling records for 25-50% less than I can otherwise get.

I like doing these set sales but as a seller I kind of resent being told that I need to be doing them instead of ebay. Fuck that shit.

• Plastic Wax < Set Sales x 1,000,000 + 1

I always preferred Prime Cuts. Plastic Wax is only good when the soul dude is there and you can go look out the back. I never found much in the shop, and they have piles of crap to wade through. Was I missing out?

i've pulled loads more great stuff out the front than the back -- as the sou ldude knows what verythings worth - but loads of stuff slips through the gabs out the front.
    im trying to think of some examples now.....

pink fairies albums for ??2. some killer libraries for a fiver a pop. amon duul albums for ??4. more vinyl vulture classics in the ??1 & ??2 bins than you can shake a stick at. its fun going through all the crap as it's got a really high turnover rate.

prime cuts is cool - but prices are high with not so much turnover ... moog indigo on the wall for ??60 for about 3 years

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I'm not feeling Plastic Wax that much, they don't let you listen to records very often (never a good look in a record store) and have all that unpriced stuff under the shelves. Plus you have to look in ??1,2,3 etc... bins really often to find any heat and even then it's in beat up condition.
    Occasional bargains though...

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    It's just simple mathematics. A successful list sells 2/3 of the records on it, if you're posting a list of maybe 30 items across different price ranges you're looking at MAYBE 750-1000 bucks at most.

Whereas on ebay, if I've got a list of 100 items, 90 of them will sell and I will make 4k.

I like to do set sales for a short list of items that I think people will want but I do not like "thinning" out my ebay stash to cherry pick for the message board lists - it makes the auction list a lot less strong.

Also for what it's worth I have had less and less success selling records for the prices I want on these set sales... if something's priced very cheap it's going to fly but I'm not really interested in selling records for 25-50% less than I can otherwise get.

I like doing these set sales but as a seller I kind of resent being told that I need to be doing them instead of ebay. Fuck that shit.

agreed...I think it comes down to

A) will the people on here pay the prices for the cherry stuff that you want
    B) will you lose out money on ebay because those key things aren't there...

example, I'm doing a 45 auction coming up...got a M- copy of "Theme From Black Belt Jones"...now do I offer it on here, and put a price that is what I would get off of ebay...or do I put on ebay and hope that it goes buck wild (as sometimes happens), and in turn that the attention that record brings helps to get the records around it to sell for more....

the probelm I see is this....you do get the quick money off of setsale...but, is it what you could get? and how much may you have lost because of not having that with the other records....I'm just using this as an example...believe me the theme from black belt is not the crown jewel of my auctions...haha...

you have to look at it from the seller viewpoint...not the guy who likes records, and shit like that....we're talking record dealers...which is the logic behind johnny's very salient points...what up johnny! me and my girl want to come back out soon...will bring trades next time

My luck with set sales has been dismal. My very first sale I did alright but lately...Nope and the good stuff I have I trade or sale when I'm checking out record shows.