CHARLTON HESTON R.I.P.

Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Washington Post...... Rest In Peace

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I wonder if it was hard to get the gun?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

R.I.P. ...but who will get all those guns ? ?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    We'll never forget ya, buddy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    he's kissin she-apes in the clouds with a big harpoon gun

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    RIP

And that completes my final report until we reach touchdown. We're now on full automatic, in the hands of the computers. I have tucked my crew in for the long sleep and I'll be joining them soon. In less than an hour, we'll finish our sixth month out of Cape Kennedy. Six months in deep space - by our time, that is. According to Dr. Haslein's theory of time, in a vehicle travelling nearly the speed of light, the Earth has aged nearly 700 years since we left it, while we've aged hardly at all. Maybe so. This much is probably true - the men who sent us on this journey are long since dead and gone. You who are reading me now are a different breed - I hope a better one. I leave the 20th century with no regrets. But one more thing - if anybody's listening, that is. Nothing scientific. It's purely personal. But seen from out here everything seems different. Time bends. Space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. That's about it. Tell me, though. Does man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?

Well then, Earthmen a missing link salutes you. Bless you, my descendants.

- spidey

• RIP

And that completes my final report until we reach touchdown. We're now on full automatic, in the hands of the computers. I have tucked my crew in for the long sleep and I'll be joining them soon. In less than an hour, we'll finish our sixth month out of Cape Kennedy. Six months in deep space - by our time, that is. According to Dr. Haslein's theory of time, in a vehicle travelling nearly the speed of light, the Earth has aged nearly 700 years since we left it, while we've aged hardly at all. Maybe so. This much is probably true - the men who sent us on this journey are long since dead and gone. You who are reading me now are a different breed - I hope a better one. I leave the 20th century with no regrets. But one more thing - if anybody's listening, that is. Nothing scientific. It's purely personal. But seen from out here everything seems different. Time bends. Space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. That's about it. Tell me, though. Does man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?

Well then, Earthmen a missing link salutes you. Bless you, my descendants.

- spidey

Very classy, D.

RIP Chuck - The last of a dying breed.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    People tripped out how Charleston Heston crossed over to the right wing.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

Dont want to speak ill of the dead but this prick stood up against rap music in the early 90s for promoting violence in its lyrics (I think Cop Killer was the track in particular, which wasnt even rap) will being the top dog in the NRA. Forgive me if I have zero respect for this guy

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Dont want to speak ill of the dead but this prick stood up against rap music in the early 90s for promoting violence in its lyrics (I think Cop Killer was the track in particular, which wasnt even rap) will being the top dog in the NRA. Forgive me if I have zero respect for this guy

I remember that whole ordeal. The song Cop Killer!! Funny now how Ice-T went off to play a cop on TV.

• Dont want to speak ill of the dead but this prick stood up against rap music in the early 90s for promoting violence in its lyrics (I think Cop Killer was the track in particular, which wasnt even rap) will being the top dog in the NRA. Forgive me if I have zero respect for this guy

*COUGH COUGH*

Heston campaigned for Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960. When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961. During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."

Following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, Heston and actors Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart issued a statement calling for public support of President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968. He opposed the Vietnam War and said he voted for Richard Nixon in 1972.

So the guy had different views later in his life, as Im sure we ALL will (This is the way of the world) - does that make him a bad person?

He was a gun-toting, pro-life, symbol of the American Right. Every argument needs to have at least two sides, I guess. I can't be mad at him for that.

Besides, Body Count Frickin' sucked anyway. Anybody rocking that shit today? It was a novelty act.

The guy was a decent actor who gave over-dramatic performances in some really classic movies. He knew he was lampooned on the regular and wasn't afraid to join in on poking fun at himself. I can respect that.

"Prick" is a little harsh, don't you think?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    And that completes my final report until we reach touchdown. We're now on full automatic, in the hands of the computers. I have tucked my crew in for the long sleep and I'll be joining them soon. In less than an hour, we'll finish our sixth month out of Cape Kennedy.
    Six months in deep space - by our time, that is. According to Dr. Haslein's theory of time, in a vehicle travelling nearly the speed of light, the Earth has aged nearly 700 years since we left it, while we've aged hardly at all. Maybe so. This much is probably true - the men who sent us on this journey are long since dead and gone. You who are reading me now are a different breed - I hope a better one.
    I leave the 20th century with no regrets. But one more thing - if anybody's listening, that is. Nothing scientific. It's purely personal. But seen from out here everything seems different. Time bends. Space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. That's about it. Tell me, though. Does man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving? Well then, Earthmen a missing link salutes you. Bless you, my descendants.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I remember that whole ordeal. The song Cop Killer!! Funny now how Ice-T went off to play a cop on TV.

Isnt there an audio file floating around on the Net which features Heston reading out the lyrics to cop killer to the board? I heard somebody had chopped it and put beats under it...anyone heard it?

Never been a big fan, but the way he came off on Bowling For Columbine didnt make him look too humane or caring...(but that coulda been Mr Moore's sus editing!).

How did he die?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE, y'all.

If ever a 21-gun salute was in order, it would be for this guy.

RIP

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    regardless of his strong views that people may not agree with.

R.I.P. sir.

peace.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Word. RIP to a silver screen legend. That's how I prefer to remember him as.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

Never been a big fan, but the way he came off on Bowling For Columbine didnt make him look too humane or caring...(but that coulda been Mr Moore's sus editing!).

I'd act the same way if I wanted Michael Moore's holy-than-thou ass off my property. That "leave the picture of the dead girl on his porch" shit was really eyeroll worthy. Touch Of Evil rules

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    fuck the haters, that dude stood up for what he believed in, PERIOD. I gotta respect a dude like that. Plus I'm a card carrying member of the NRA. Gun laws are some ever changing things and he stood up for peoples rights to not get took by those laws.

RIP

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah
    what we need is more people with guns in america!!!

rip
    Astronaut Taylor

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts

Please tell me he was shot. If not, then damn you all to hell.

• The clip of him reading the lyrics to "Cop Killer," at a press conference is one of most unintentionally hilarious things ever put on tape.

That is how I choose to remember him...

• Please tell me he was shot. If not, then damn you all to hell.

Great movie star b/w crazy old coot.

Makes me want to go home and run a triple feature of 'Planet of the Apes', 'Soylent Green' and 'Omega Man'....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Makes me want to go home and run a triple feature of 'Planet of the Apes', 'Soylent Green' and 'Omega Man'....

That's what i have planned these next couple of days, but w/ the first two Apes joints.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I wonder if it was hard to get the gun?

I knew that that would be the joke made 'round the world, so to speak, so when it came on the news last night I had to hurry up and comment on that so I could at least make my wife laugh before she heard every say it the next day.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    fuck the haters, that dude stood up for what he believed in, PERIOD. I gotta respect a dude like that.

well

Plus I'm a card carrying member of the NRA

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Im a gun owner...but I cant get with the single minded scary passion about gun rights that folks like Chuck have.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    fuck the haters, that dude stood up for what he believed in, PERIOD. I gotta respect a dude like that.

there are lots of people who have stood up for what they believe in, doesn't make me want to respect them. I think it really comes down to what you are standing for, no?

George Bush believes we must fight the war in terror at all costs, so should I respect him since he believes in that, PERIOD?

Heston cracked me up in Omega Man , he was so over the top in that movie.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

well

Plus I'm a card carrying member of the NRA

haha, dude, I was a gun owner in California at the time. If you're not knowin...Cali has some of the most FUCKED gun laws in the country. My membership kept me up on ANY and ALL changes in legislature relating to me possibly getting pulled over on the way to the shooting range and getting a felony charge because I was maybe transporting my gun in the wrong part of my car or some dumb shit like that. It's seriously an invaluable resource in that regard. Plus you get discounts on all kinds of cool shit, it's like AAA for guns.

I shoot at the range frequently, I'm interested in shooting competitively eventually. I don't see how being a member of a club that keeps you informed on matches, offers discounts on accessories, promotes safety in the home, gives you tips on methods that can help you shoot better, etc. is a bad thing.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

I shoot at the range frequently, I'm interested in shooting competitively eventually. I don't see how being a member of a club that keeps you informed on matches, offers discounts on accessories, promotes safety in the home, gives you tips on methods that can help you shoot better, etc. is a bad thing.

I don't think any of those things were the reasons for the ...

Guns just aren't that cool man.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    says a guy with "locked and loaded" as his location?