CHARLTON HESTON R.I.P.

2»

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't see how being a member of a club that keeps you informed on matches, offers discounts on accessories, promotes safety in the home, gives you tips on methods that can help you shoot better, etc. is a bad thing.

I think people take issue more with stuff like assault weapons or (gasp!) licenses to own guns, where the NRA's positions seem way extreme, especially with the amount of gun violence in this country. No hunter or competitive shooter needs an automatic weapon. No one should be able to go to a gun show and avoid background checks or waiting periods.

As a seemingly responsible gun owner, don't you think that a gun should require a similar testing and licensing procedure to driving a car?

I think along with the helpful hobbyist info you mention, a lot of people take issue with the tacit endorsement of the position that any asshole should be able to freely buy machine guns.

RIP to Heston, but I dont think his advocacy was a net positive for this country....

• fuck the haters, that dude stood up for what he believed in, PERIOD. I gotta respect a dude like that.

well

In the 1950s and '60s he was one of a handful of Hollywood actors to speak openly against racism and was an active supporter of the Civil Rights Movement.

srsly, you need to take a time-out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The supreme court will soon rule.

Does the second amendment say "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." or does it say "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."?

We will soon find out.

Back to Chuck. He is great playing over the top roles in over the top movies. Did he ever give a nuanced performance in "good" movie?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    says a guy with "locked and loaded" as his location?

lol

oh shit I forgot about my witty wordplay on the location section. although it appears to contradict my entire argument I assure you it is not what it looks like.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I don't see how being a member of a club that keeps you informed on matches, offers discounts on accessories, promotes safety in the home, gives you tips on methods that can help you shoot better, etc. is a bad thing.

I think people take issue more with stuff like assault weapons or (gasp!) licenses to own guns, where the NRA's positions seem way extreme, especially with the amount of gun violence in this country. No hunter or competitive shooter needs an automatic weapon. No one should be able to go to a gun show and avoid background checks or waiting periods.

As a seemingly responsible gun owner, don't you think that a gun should require a similar testing and licensing procedure to driving a car?

I think along with the helpful hobbyist info you mention, a lot of people take issue with the tacit endorsement of the position that any asshole should be able to freely buy machine guns.

RIP to Heston, but I dont think his advocacy was a net positive for this country....

that depends on what your position is. I personally plan on buying an AR-15 for 3 gun competition shooting. That's pistol, shotgun and rifle and right now there's not a clip loaded rifle out there that's more versatile, more accurate out the gate and more easily adaptable than the AR-15. Now I'm not saying ANYONE needs a fully automatic rifle, that's just silly. But that rifle is available as a simple semi-auto single shot rifle that's probably one of the best short range competition rifles made, PERIOD.

If I'm gonna compete, I'd like to be able to buy the best tools to compete with, wouldn't you agree?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I shoot at the range frequently, I'm interested in shooting competitively eventually. I don't see how being a member of a club that keeps you informed on matches, offers discounts on accessories, promotes safety in the home, gives you tips on methods that can help you shoot better, etc. is a bad thing.

I don't think any of those things were the reasons for the ...

Guns just aren't that cool man.

to you maybe not, to me, they're a passtime and protection. And if someone ever decided to break into my house in the middle of the night, I'm fully prepared to deal with that fool.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    fuck the haters, that dude stood up for what he believed in, PERIOD. I gotta respect a dude like that.

mmhh regarding what DJdaze said, I meant that the "stood up for" is a bit dangerous to justify people actions...don't you think so ? ...I mean on a different level, we can say Pol Pot too, was somebody that stood up for what he believed in...

however you want a gun, you have a gun.