The Horror Movie Thread

2»

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    And I'm not gonna front - I thought the US remake of "Ringu" was scary as shit.

Speaking of remakes, I thought both Grudge movies were decent. They have their acting flaws but were nice visually ... and were legitimately creepy much of the time.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

imagery like this is starting to feel pretty derivative to me in these newer horror movies: pale, big-eyed kid staring creepily from a corner or behind you in a mirror or in a closet...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

imagery like this is starting to feel pretty derivative to me in these newer horror movies: pale, big-eyed kid staring creepily from a corner or behind you in a mirror or in a closet...

I feel you but a creepy ass kid is always gonna be a creepy ass kid.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I saw El Orphanado recently and it had some real scary moments in it. Recommended.

Big cosine. Good movie that manages to scare without relying on the same set of tired devices that crop up in pretty much every other horror flick these days.

High Tension was great as well, as Bassie mentioned.

Recently saw the Elfin Lied series, which is anime, but highly entertaining and super gory nonetheless.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Anyone seen The Ruins yet?

Anyone seen The Ruins yet?

See, this is exactly the type of boring, predictable, phoned-in horror that has been done to death. A small group of young, white, college students get caught up in a swell of events that they don't understand ("Why are they doing this to us?"), and we watch as their numbers dwindle until only the one or two characters are left that the audience could tell were unkillable from the opening credits. Sometimes even these characters die, in which case we're expected to leave the theater talking about how grim the movie was.

That said, I am perfectly happy to see The Ruins. I'm a total sucker for this stuff.

Its getting so much hype I had a glimmer of hope it might be different

I didn't realize people were so amped for it. Like I said, I'll happily shell out to see it. Would be a nice surprise if it managed to explore some new ground...or at least cover familiar territory in a novel way.

I don't know if people are amped to see it, I was reffering more to media/critic hype, but I guess all the Saw movies have gotten a lot of hype too and they are more shock than anything.

I don't know if people are amped to see it, I was reffering more to media/critic hype, but I guess all the Saw movies have gotten a lot of hype too and they are more shock than anything.

Gotcha. My first impression of The Ruins was Touristas meets Temple of Doom.

The Saw movies are hilarious.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    ALL you folls need to watch "Tenebrae!" Argento's best film and one of the best horror movies EVAR!!!!!!!

Agreed. Check out this guys youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ToeMas123
    He has up'ed Tenebrae, Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, Phenomena, Suspiria and some other crazy movies. It's kind of annoying watching movies on youtube but some of these movies are hard to find...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    has there been a good US horror flick in the last 10 years?

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    has there been a good US horror flick in the last 10 years?

- spidey

Serious? I havent heard shit about this flick? King is still doin it in 08?

I don't even look at it as a S. King movie. Frank Darabont delivered what is possibly the illest twilight zone episode ever.

I wish there was a zombie movie I could rep in 08, but nobody does zombies right anymore. Even Romero don't do zombies right anymore.

- spidey

• Just saw High Tension, thought it was OK.

Not scary at all, really.

This is what I call "dvd horror", horror movies that look and sound fabulous including alternate endings/director cuts/special unrated versions (oooh! gotta see this!!), but ultimately fail to deliver the fright.

Also saw Cronenberg's The Dead Zone which is solid.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm looking forward to seeing El Orphanado, looks like it could be good. I'd say fans of the Evil Dead type movies should check out Feast. Despite its Project Greenlight roots, it's a far better example of the type of B movie Robert Rodrigues was trying to make with Planet Terror.

I'm hoping the movie of World War Z turns out. I really liked the book, which is pretty much a guarantee that the move will be a disappointment.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I saw El Orphanado recently and it had some real scary moments in it. Recommended.

Big cosine. Good movie that manages to scare without relying on the same set of tired devices that crop up in pretty much every other horror flick these days.

Yeah I had high hopes for this and expected to be let down but it's a very decent ghost film with some proper creepy moments (the ending was a slight let down but that's kind of par for the course with ghost movies).

Despite being a massive fan of eighties gore and bodyhorror I really don't enjoy the current wave of torture horror films at all. In general they're not scary or enjoyable - give me a dummy decapitation over a cgi tendon slice anyday of the week.

As for more recent offerings, if you don't mind watching films shot on digital video there are lots of movies around that attempt to capture the eighties gore cinema with varying degrees of success. Films such as slither and feast:

Though to be honest there's so many from the "golden age" left to watch that I'm still catching up with those made 20 years ago. When it comes to modern horror I tend to stick with the asian contributions (though I could quite happily never watch another film with a spooky japanese child in).

I wish there was a zombie movie I could rep in 08, but nobody does zombies right anymore. Even Romero don't do zombies right anymore.

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    Anything from these guys

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

YES

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

Exactly, those were the worst excuse for zombies. I've ever seen on film. They weren't zombies, they were crackheads.

- spidey

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Me and a friend of mine had a discussion as to whether this was technically a zombie movie. See, zombies are undead, so somebody has to die and come back to life (or un-life) to be a zombie. In 28 days/weeks later, they never die, they just get infected with the weirdo virus. Hence not zombies.

• ANGEL HEART

Me and a friend of mine had a discussion as to whether this was technically a zombie movie. See, zombies are undead, so somebody has to die and come back to life (or un-life) to be a zombie. In 28 days/weeks later, they never die, they just get infected with the weirdo virus. Hence not zombies.

Technically speaking NO.

But If you look at how Zombies have become the Horror Genre's political statement Monster. This falls into the modern Zombie motifs since Dawn Of The Dead.

Omega Man/I Am Legend arent classic slow moving undead creatures, but they still embody the same otherness typically displayed in these last dude on earth vs the unfortunate humans left flicks.

It depends on how rigid ur definition is.

If it runs. It aint a zombie.

- spidey

If it runs. It aint a zombie.

- spidey

Hahaha.

Zombies?

Hardly, take it back to the OG brotha.

Hollywood can eat a dick for that remake.

- spidey

I feel ya.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

#1 in Netflix queue!