How many new albums do you listen to a week?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
new albums or albums you haven't got around too? i'm telling you, using soul seek in conjunction with the the $5 fee is overkill, i have 200 albums i've yet to listen to in entirety. From this moment on I'm trying to commit to like 3 new albums a week and listen to them twice at least. Cause with soulseek it's like im a kid at a candystore afterhours, and i broke in, and i've stuffed my mouth with bits of candy here and there and its got my tastebuds phucked. i wish we had 4 brain quadrants or something so i could listen to two albums simultaneously and speed up the process.i'm the same way with books too though. i got tons of books i haven't read yet, but when im at the book store and i see a nice cover and its got a nice description on the back, there's another purchase right there. need discipline to listen to music right...cause i've been treating songs like singles rather than hearing the concept of the album. i'm on benzocaine, nyquill, antibiotics and a flu like a motherphucker, pardon the rambles.

Comments

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

i wish we had 4 brain quadrants or something so i could listen to two albums simultaneously and speed up the process.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey AlieNDN,

I don't record shop as much as I used (sheer volume related), but I usually listen to 5-7 LPs per week, on average. This rate spikes up to around 10-15 if I get on a roll on the weekend, where I'll stay up really late sometimes checkin' out LPs I've found, or things I haven't heard in a while. My listening rates vary generally, but I've tried to estimate the best I could. I don't really keep count.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For me it varies, depending on my mood and how much personal time I have.

I'm like you - I don't always listen to new records on the day I buy them. I knew I was a serious accumulator after I got to that point. I've got my "to be listened to" pile set up on the side, for sure. But I couldn't give you a numerical estimate. Shit just happens when it happens.

Also...there are some days when I am really tired, yet still feel like hearing some music. During those times, I'll shoot straight for something I already own that I've heard already. With untested records, I'm always keeping an ear out for The One Track I Never Wanna Hear Again, at least so I can write a Post-It note saying "AVOID TRACK 3 ON SIDE TWO!" or whatever. But there are some nights where I'm too tired to play rock critic, so that's when I'll listen to records I've had for a while (some of which I'm still getting to know).

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yeah, soulseek is a killer, ill go on binges and download 30 albums in a night, and have a full harddrive in the morning, not to mention a stack of records (that keeps getting larger) that i need to listen to...

id say i listen to about 7-10 new (to me) albums a week, the car ride to and from work helps with this...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Damn...a whole LP??? Maybe five or six new ones a week. I'm listening to new songs like 24/7, though.

• Getting a portable mp3 player (iriver H140) increased my ability to listen to new music about a millionfold. I no longer feel like I have this whole collection I'm not listening to. The shuffle function guarantees I hear tracks I haven't heard in a minute. I actually enjoy commuting now.

I also feel that most soul/funk/jazz lps are not really concept-type albums that need to be listened to from start to finish.

• Damn...a whole LP??? Maybe five or six new ones a week. I'm listening to new songs like 24/7, though.

Same here. Searching out and listening to new songs all the time, albums more like 2-4 a week. A good track is easier to find than a good album imho.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I also feel that most soul/funk/jazz lps are not really concept-type albums that need to be listened to from start to finish.

true, but myself i like to hear the whole thing at least once so ill know what im missing. if its all good, cool; ill know to play it all the way thru next time. if there are some things i need to skip past, then ill do that too.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Getting a portable mp3 player (iriver H140) increased my ability to listen to new music about a millionfold. I no longer feel like I have this whole collection I'm not listening to. The shuffle function guarantees I hear tracks I haven't heard in a minute. I actually enjoy commuting now.

that's a good point. actually i think a portable mp3 player would help my endeavours, do u recomment the iriver h140? hows the battery life? sound quality?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A good track is easier to find than a good album imho.

YES.

i used to dl a grip of songs off napster>kazaa>soulseek. Now i buy records and i listen to maybe 1 or 2 new things every week. i would say that's very few among people on this board but i need to pay for a GRIP of other shit before records. but it's kinda good in a way too, because when you are broke, you actually LISTEN to your records, instead of just collecting.

• Getting a portable mp3 player (iriver H140) increased my ability to listen to new music about a millionfold. I no longer feel like I have this whole collection I'm not listening to. The shuffle function guarantees I hear tracks I haven't heard in a minute. I actually enjoy commuting now.

that's a good point. actually i think a portable mp3 player would help my endeavours, do u recomment the iriver h140? hows the battery life? sound quality?

Watch me rant here

and, in the last couple of weeks, the Rockbox software is almost finished, which enables gapless playback, onthefly playlists, crossfading, improved visuals and navigation, plus a ton more.

No software needed, the pc or mac just reads it like an external HD.

Though they have been replaced by the H340 model (which is also great), the H140s are still available where i got mine,

advancedmp3players

16 hour battery life (and will last 3-4 years and you'll be able to replace it yourself when the time comes).

Sound quality kills the Ipod.

• Weird, I just checked that old post I linked to and you replied to my post about it on that thread too.

Just get it already.

Thank me later.

Oh, yeah, and the Rockbox firmware enables you to play Game Boy games on it too!!!

no joke.

wickedness, i wanted to sample the sony one before i made a decision, but the iriver's got features galore!

• Options
    8-10 a day and too many 45's to fathom.

K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    wickedness, i wanted to sample the sony one before i made a decision, but the iriver's got features galore!

I have had the iRiver H120 20GB MP3 Jukebox for a while now. It has kept me sane travelling all over the country, on planes tranes and automobiles. Its quite easy to use, small enough (bigger than an ipod though), and pretty flawless. Battery life is pretty competent, too.

It adapts perfectly to PC, Mac, etc. Also works as a great storage device. I am considering selling my current one and buying a newer model, so hollar if you want a mad discount.

Okay, and regarding albums...I'm not sure. It's hard to keep track of how many times I might repeat a song vs playing an album straight through. Maybe 20 albums and a bajillion songs? Saying....

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    never heard of soulseek, but sounds like a goldmine. does it work on macs?

i dont know about soulseek on macs, but in my opinion soulseek is to music like libraries are to books. it is too godamn thorough. i've learned/heard so much good sheit based on searching artists i liked and checking out names i never heard of in people's folders. and seriously it makes me buy albums a lot more.

• Well today's been an anomaly cuz I'm home from work feeling under the weather and all I've done is listened to some recent finds. By the end of the day I'll have listened to around 7 lp's. I tend to listen a lot when I'm home on my Mac. At work I ALWAYS have CDs with me - I try to record vinyl that I pick up to CD just so I can listen at work. (Soon - our workspace is being redesigned and I'm being moved to a different area. I'ma bring in a turntable at that point so I can just bring some vinyl with me and listen at work.)

And if anybody knows the answer to this I'm all ears:

Does Soulseek work with Macs?

• use SoulSeex

i got my g5 about a month ago and have had 0 problems with it running. the environment is a little different from the windows version (cleaner and some things will take a minute to realize where they are). download it!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    About four new albums a week, depending on what I'm sent. But when there's good money coming through, 10-20 a week.

I don't even touch Soulseek anymore, unless I'm looking for one particular song.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    alieNDN I'm with you, I have about 200 records sitting in a couple shelves I have not even listened too once! The worse part is that some of them have been sitting there for at least 2 1/2 YRS!!!!

During the school year though it's tough to find time to listen to records. I got work after work grading papers, I have to pick up my kid, help him with his homework, usually cook, plus my girlfriend wants lots of face time when she gets home. So overall, while school's in I'm lucky if I get through 3 records a week.

Fortunatley, I have summer's off so I can get through about 5-10 LPs a week while I'm on vacation.

I also don't needle drop on records, rather I listen to them all the way through plus I write reviews of everything I listen to which makes the whole process take a little longer as well.

Besides not listening to all these records I bought months and years ago, there's also the inverse that I hardly listen to my old records at all. That one or two times I listen to an LP when I buy it might be the only time I ever listen to that record. That's kinda sick if you think about it.