what a ruins a song/tune more for you...

13»

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    You can feel that type of singing on "Only built for cuban linx" although some singing on it IS cheesy the final scheme/output is well pulled off so it loses it's cheesiness in my opinion.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

It probably wasn't even Sam's decision - I'm tempted to put that on producer Randy Jackson (from American Idol). And the album it comes from is weak anyway.

Yo, dog. Don't front on Randy, dog. He was just doin' his thing. Doin' it real big, dog.

For real though. I agree. No changing the lyrics, unless you absolutely have to take out a curse word.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I have no love for the flute. ...sorry, gets on my last nerves.

And I'm a harmonica player myself

Dude, Flute shreds the harmonica without question.

exactly what i'd expect from somebody who has kenny g. in his avatar (probably unironically)

((grin))

seriously, a harmonica going thru a Green Bullet microphone through a Fender tweed amp with that distorted sound...played by somebody who can PLAY...that is way more satisfying than hearing some flautist squeak out notes only dogs can hear...

KENNY IS MY BOY FOR LIFE. Recognize the realness or fall back hateurs!

There are certain musicians who will do much more justice to their instrument than others , I think it is just the tone of a well played funky flute solo shines over a harmonica for me (I dig some Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf records with the harmonica though).

I'm not talking about dog whistle notes obviously.... however Kenny has been known to hit some scorching octaves that theoretically do not exist on the soprano sax.

Hit me up if you need him to play any birthday parties or bar mitzvahs , he can work for $25 a note.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Female vocalists singing curse words..

That's pretty specific! Can you give a couple of examples?

Like singing singing? Not rapping or punk rock yelling/shouting, but singing?

Yeah like the soulful diva on an old Wu or Dre joint for instance singing sweetly about "fuck those so and sos"

Ahhh - lol, I don't mind those at all, but I can see why they would be annoying. I thinks it works rather well in the My Loving is Digi intro

can anyone name who does the gawdawful female vocals on Galciers of Ice? in all honesty, I don't mind them; I actually think they work for the arrangement of the song. but -- *technically* speaking -- the girl can't sing. at all.

PS can someone explain this:

I remember when it was introduced, but I can't recall the correct application.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm having trouble accepting that so many of you hate
    on guitar solos ... a guitar solo has always been a plus
    for me, often the dealbreaker if I'm on the fence about
    buying a 45, a good guitar solo can save a tepid track.

You just saved me from making an otherwise obligatory "you dudes are pussies" post.

AK! Not EVERY guitar solo ever recorded in the history of music!

Oh, of course. I was just feeling aggy last night b/c a dude from Michigan was saying that he didn't like guitar solos.

Guitar solo shred =

Guitar solo noodle =

• Options

guitar solos.

I just can't stand them.

Although he's the guitarist It makes me in Sweet Power.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Pat Metheny is straight killing it!

"Not long ago, Kenny G put out a recording where he overdubbed himself on top of a 30+ year old Louis Armstrong record, the track "What a Wonderful World". With this single move, Kenny G became one of the few people on earth I can say that I really can't use at all - as a man, for his incredible arrogance to even consider such a thing, and as a musician, for presuming to share the stage with the single most important figure in our music.[/b]"

• when a great disco record is slappin' then there's like this fruity as key change/the step goes higher and these over the top strings come in.

Frickin' SHIT SOUNDS LIKE STR8 UP LOVE BOAT THEME JAMZ COPPACABANA REMIX BLUDZORS

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is embarrassing. Back around 1975, when he just had a few records, I liked Jimmy Buffett. So I got one of his records and I discovered something about him that drove me up a wall. He will kill the meaning and feel of a song to get a rhyme. I don't have an example off the top of my head, but he will be singing about something, say the way the moon lights your path as live your life. Only instead of saying life, he will say spoon so it rhymes with moon. Then he put out that Margarettaville song and it was over. Even though rhyming poptop with flipflop might have been the pinnacle of his career.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    longer rock gittar solos over funk songs (...funkadelic being a good example)

...although I do love the Isley's

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    longer rock gittar solos over funk songs (...funkadelic being a good example)

...although I do love the Isley's

i have never done this, but...

BAN

...um, for me, what ruins songs is when a good hard funky rock song comes in with some terrible, limp dick, byrds-inspired, harmony vocals... ugh,,,