what a ruins a song/tune more for you...

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    flutes and orgasms

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Female vocalists singing curse words..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    flutes and orgasms

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    very few exceptions, but i generally hate steel drums

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I actually think the flute can be the funkiest of the non-percussion instruments.

For me, bad lyrics can undermine a song more than anything. I wish Lafayette Afro Rock Band had an instrumental of "Conga." A couple times, that song has come up on shuffle, the break gets my attention, and just as I begin to wonder why I was sleeping on it for so long, the singing comes in. Skip.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    any song where chris cornell sings and the name of the group isn't soundgarden.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I have no love for the flute. ...sorry, gets on my last nerves.

And I'm a harmonica player myself

Dude, Flute shreds the harmonica without question.

We're not talking about Zamfir the lonely shepherd.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Lame vocals/lyrics...

Yup... this one actually made me laugh. It starts out all funky as hell with tight drums and horns... I'm thinking sweeeet!

And then in come the vocals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310035546387&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

dude should have faded the song before the vocals in the soundclip and he would have gotten 30-40 bucks for it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

haha wtf was that???! never knew of its existence...was that produced by eazy e in his 187 um dre killa phase? haha holy shit

nope that's a real deal dre production. the one Jimmy Z apparently flopped; the world would have to wait over a decade before dre could make a superstar out of a corny white guy I guess.

but don't tell me you didn't rock the Jimmy'z pants.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts

That's pretty specific! Can you give a couple of examples?

Like singing singing? Not rapping or punk rock yelling/shouting, but singing?

Yeah like the soulful diva on an old Wu or Dre joint for instance singing sweetly about "fuck those so and sos"

I guess maybe punk rock riot grrls would not be as bad...

Just bugs me I guess, many of the other complaints here I agree with:

Guitar solos AGHK - unless you are Jimi...

ruins the song when the "ah yeah guy" appears in this video

I never cared for Puff Daddy's little grunts and whispers and schitt.

but mostly because he bit that whole thing from Pete and CL.

"I made that ****. That's my ****. I'm taking all my credit back from n*ggas that stole from me."

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I never cared for Puff Daddy.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    When Soulstrut starts sucking it off.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    SCREW YOU, HATTERS.

I WILL RIDE FOR:

FLUTE[/b]

BLOWY HARMONICA[/b]

STEEL DRUM[/b]

CHEESY VOCALS[/b]

FOUL-MOUTHED FEMMES[/b]

ORGASMS[/b]

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    SCREW YOU, HATTERS.

I WILL RIDE FOR:

FLUTE[/b]

BLOWY HARMONICA[/b]

STEEL DRUM[/b]

CHEESY VOCALS[/b]

FOUL-MOUTHED FEMMES[/b]

ORGASMS[/b]

aha! no sax! faux-groovy overplayed SNL sax grossness cant win.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm having trouble accepting that so many of you hate
    on guitar solos ... a guitar solo has always been a plus
    for me, often the dealbreaker if I'm on the fence about
    buying a 45, a good guitar solo can save a tepid track.

It's a big reason I love Detroit soul/funk tracks in particular,
    they tend to come through with the ill guitar break.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    ANTI SAX

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    b/w if you hate guitar solo you hate my freedombird

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

You just saved me from making an otherwise obligatory "you dudes are pussies" post.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Lame vocals/lyrics...

Yup... this one actually made me laugh. It starts out all funky as hell with tight drums and horns... I'm thinking sweeeet!

And then in come the vocals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310035546387&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

dude should have faded the song before the vocals in the soundclip and he would have gotten 30-40 bucks for it.
    straight up...Those vocals really kill the vibe.
    This definitely was a good example of "what ruins a song".

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

exactly what i'd expect from somebody who has kenny g. in his avatar (probably unironically)

((grin))

seriously, a harmonica going thru a Green Bullet microphone through a Fender tweed amp with that distorted sound...played by somebody who can PLAY...that is way more satisfying than hearing some flautist squeak out notes only dogs can hear...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    flute>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all other instruments! Phew...

Ok, something that ruins songs is bad bv's by kids. We did that.

Another one is when the singer refuses to accomodate the lyricists poetic licence.
    In particular: 'Who Will Buy' by Jon Lucien. It's a great song, he jazzes it up, it's all good. Love it to bits.
    But Mr Lucien, why sing the rhyme of 'leisure' and 'treasure' as 'leeeezure' and 'trezure'? It jars every time.
    The song was written by an english dude, we pronounce the two words to rhyme. Deal.
    Even if you disagree with the pronunciation, do it for the sake of the song.

I'm struggling to come up with another example though.....but if I do, I'll be angry about that too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Another one is when the singer refuses to accomodate the lyricists poetic licence.
    In particular: 'Who Will Buy' by Jon Lucien. It's a great song, he jazzes it up, it's all good. Love it to bits.
    But Mr Lucien, why sing the rhyme of 'leisure' and 'treasure' as 'leeeezure' and 'trezure'? It jars every time.
    The song was written by an english dude, we pronounce the two words to rhyme. Deal.

I'm struggling to come up with another example though.....but if I do, I'll be angry about that too.

Here's an example that pisses me off...I think it was a couple of years ago that Sam Moore (from Sam & Dave) released an album where he remade Don Covay's "It's Better To Have & Don't Need." However, some dufus made him sing it as "it's better to have and NOT need." I don't give a flying rubber fuck if it is proper English; we've gotten by with Covay's "don't need" since 1974. Since when does this song require a grammatical makeover? What next - if he adlibs "oh yeah," he's gotta redo it as "oh yes"? Straight-up bogus.

It probably wasn't even Sam's decision - I'm tempted to put that on producer Randy Jackson (from American Idol). And the album it comes from is weak anyway.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Here's an example that pisses me off...I think it was a couple of years ago that Sam Moore (from Sam & Dave) released an album where he remade Don Covay's "It's Better To Have & Don't Need." However, some dufus made him sing it as "it's better to have and NOT need." I don't give a flying rubber fuck if it is proper English; we've gotten by with Covay's "don't need" since 1974. Since when does this song require a grammatical makeover? What next - if he adlibs "oh yeah," he's gotta redo it as "oh yes"? Straight-up bogus.

It probably wasn't even Sam's decision - I'm tempted to put that on producer Randy Jackson (from American Idol). And the album it comes from is weak anyway.

HEARING YOU 300%
    take your linguistic hangups, and if you don't like it don't record the song!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I never cared for Puff Daddy's little grunts and whispers and schitt.

but mostly because he bit that whole thing from Pete and CL.

"I made that ****. That's my ****. I'm taking all my credit back from n*ggas that stole from me."

Amen, there's so many moments on Biggie's albums where a perfect decent intro is ruined by the Diddy's drivel.

On a similar vein, I've always been a big fan of Lauren Hill's X-Factor apart from those Frickin' "Yo,Yo"'s that sit just underneath the vocals the whole way through. As soon as my ear picked them out that was all I could hear.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

You just saved me from making an otherwise obligatory "you dudes are pussies" post.

AK! Not EVERY guitar solo ever recorded in the history of music! Just like a guitar solo can add flavour to a song, it can totally derail it from warm, even and driving to squealy, high-pitched cheese that doesn't fit into the rest of the song's mood.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

That's pretty specific! Can you give a couple of examples?

Like singing singing? Not rapping or punk rock yelling/shouting, but singing?

Yeah like the soulful diva on an old Wu or Dre joint for instance singing sweetly about "fuck those so and sos"

Ahhh - lol, I don't mind those at all, but I can see why they would be annoying. I thinks it works rather well in the My Loving is Digi intro