what a ruins a song/tune more for you...

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
...a squeaky Junior Walker-esque sax soloing the entire goddamn time...or a shrill blues harp wheezing all over everything...Im sayin sax...nothing I hate more than a good groove goin and then a goddamn 1 to 2 bar squeal and lame ass soloing never letting up...I hate that shityour choice?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I like both. What ruins it for me is an extended or gratuitous guitar solo. I hate those fast little repeated notes up high ala Alvin Lee, Slash and all the rest.

I just listened to CCR IHITTGV the other day. It has a horrible 6 minute guitar solo that ruins another wise good song.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ...a squeaky Junior Walker-esque sax soloing the entire goddamn time

Ha... yeah that's a real deal breaker. Every time I hear one of those I'm always waiting for the voice over
    "It's Saturday Night Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

See Monk Higgins thread...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Strings do it for me on a lot of disco tunes.

• Strings do it for me on a lot of cti[/b] tunes.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have no love for the flute. A surprising number of funk songs use it, and I'm not happy to hear it. Googie Rene's "Firebird" gets a strong groove going, but then along comes that honey-sweet flute tryin' to re-set the pace...sorry, gets on my last nerves.

And I'm a harmonica player myself, so I can appreciate somebody like a Big Walter Horton or a Lee Oskar playing melodically. But when I hear somebody, usually on a rock record, playing it in that wheezy, indifferent Bob Dylan style, I put on the brakes real quick. Like Captain Beefheart sez, "gimme that harp, boy/it ain't no toy." For some reason, I can tune it out in a garage-rock song - the Nuggets box contains some of the worst harp blowin' known to man and I STILL love it. But the rest of the time...definitely not.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I have no love for the flute.

BAN!

I just listened to CCR IHITTGV the other day. It has a horrible 6 minute guitar solo that ruins another wise good song.

John Fogerty is a really good guitar player when he keeps it brief - his solo on "Bad Moon Rising" doesn't say much, but utters what needs to be said. But "Grapevine" is just flat out repetitive, like he lost interest halfway thru.

sometimes a song JUST DOESN'T NEED a chord modulation. im getting into a melody, sometimes i wanna MARINATE on that, i dont need some overambitious arranger changing up on me

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I find those drumsolos that seem to be necessary on pretty much every single jazzrecord kind of useless. Hardly ever do they add something.

• Lame vocals/lyrics...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Lame vocals/lyrics...

Yup... this one actually made me laugh. It starts out all funky as hell with tight drums and horns... I'm thinking sweeeet!

And then in come the vocals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310035546387&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

• djrdjr 511 Posts

guitar solos.

I just can't stand them.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Lame vocals/lyrics...

Yup... this one actually made me laugh. It starts out all funky as hell with tight drums and horns... I'm thinking sweeeet!

And then in come the vocals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310035546387&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

I am glad I am not fluent in portugese...I would probably end gettin rid of some brazilian raers....a lot of the tropicalia stuff lyrically is of "My head is hat, I have a refridgerator with a hat in it" steez

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    i am very picky about the sax. i love some plaeyars like all get out, but some just dont add anything. it is basically just another bad "guitar solo".

im a organ solo / old soul music typ-ah mutha

I have no love for the flute. A surprising number of funk songs use it, and I'm not happy to hear it. Googie Rene's "Firebird" gets a strong groove going, but then along comes that honey-sweet flute tryin' to re-set the pace...sorry, gets on my last nerves.

And I'm a harmonica player myself, so I can appreciate somebody like a Big Walter Horton or a Lee Oskar playing melodically. But when I hear somebody, usually on a rock record, playing it in that wheezy, indifferent Bob Dylan style, I put on the brakes real quick. Like Captain Beefheart sez, "gimme that harp, boy/it ain't no toy." For some reason, I can tune it out in a garage-rock song - the Nuggets box contains some of the worst harp blowin' known to man and I STILL love it. But the rest of the time...definitely not.

Ahhh the Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Neil Young harmonica thing. I never could figure that out. If you want a harmonica in the song, hire a harmonica player.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Ahhh the Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Neil Young harmonica thing. I never could figure that out. If you want a harmonica in the song, hire a harmonica player.

I like flute...James Rivers "Bad Bad Whiskey"...that shit is fire...and as far as harp goes, I can listen to Slim Harpo or Lazy Lester all day, but that shit wheezy stuff sucks

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I have no love for the flute. A surprising number of funk songs use it, and I'm not happy to hear it.

Not even on James Brown's "Popcorn with a Feeling"?

Co-sign whoever said shitty vocals, that's 80% of latin rock/soul/funk records.
    Also when a songs tempo changes abruptly or just for the chorus. Like in CSNY's "Chicago." "We Can Chaaaayyyaaaannnngggeeee the wooooorrrrrllllddd" way to ruin it fellas!

Co-sign whoever said shitty vocals, that's 80% of latin rock/soul/funk records.

I might quibble with precentages within genres, but

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

guitar solos.

I just can't stand them.

I'm not mad at guitar solos in general, but guitar players need to realize that guitar solo needs to be composed, just like a song. You have to have ideas and hooks and little melodic bits to make it memorable and interesting. Even in heavy metal songs where you're trying to be all shredtastic, you have to have melody in there. Otherwise, you're just taking up time pointlessly.

on the other hand, I have to hate on those solos on soft rock turds where there's all kind of reverb and distortion and the dude's all trying to let his notes soar like an eagle. Dude, you're playing for Richard Marx, cool out. needless (melo)drama in a guitar solo is an awful look.

I have no love for the flute. A surprising number of funk songs use it, and I'm not happy to hear it.

Not even on James Brown's "Popcorn with a Feeling"?

Offhand, I don't even remember how that one sounds - I got more James Brown records than is considered legal, and I haven't committed 'em all to memory. But the James Brown example that came to my mind was the JB's' "Doing It To Death." I don't lift the needle when the flute solo comes around, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    No doubt, the song is on "It's a Mother!" (if you care to revisit it). I've had a lot of people say they don't like the flute, but do like that one song a lot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Im feelin this though.

Im feelin this though.

Yeah, after peeping their mid-seventies Saturday Night Live appearance, they get a pass. And I have a weird affection for Herbie Mann's "Hijack" and "Memphis Underground," but that's IN SPITE of the flute, not BECAUSE of.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

That's almost the whole genre right there.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

That's almost the whole genre right there.

Reason why I avoid the genre for the most part.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

guitar solos.

Yep - how many good to great reggae songs have been ruined by this? A lot!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    When rappers start using the fag word. It makes a good jam unplayable for me because I don't want to alienate & offend anyone in the crowd.

• strings can be bad in disco, especially bad disco, but what is worse to me (in re: to disco) is a congo/timbale/bongo player stuck on stupid (i.e. repeat) for the whole damn song. always exceptions, but none off the top of my skull.

solos in general suck. live, perhaps. but on record they can get a bit yawny. we get it. you know all the appropriate notes in the scale. trophy is in the mail.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Female vocalists singing curse words..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Female vocalists singing curse words..

That's pretty specific! Can you give a couple of examples?

Like singing singing? Not rapping or punk rock yelling/shouting, but singing?