Finest, Cheapest External MacBook Soundcard?

FamousMortimerFamousMortimer 201 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I am having a hard time getting record rips to sound good on my macbook line in. Thinking about getting an external setup. Any suggestions? Do they still make imic's? I used to have one of those and it seemed to work well enough.I posted this on Waxi but they are too busy rubbing heitkotter solution on their groin.Thanks soulstrut.

Comments

• have you checked best buy or some similar website for an imic? like the uh... griffin website? best buy says "coming soon".

I bought a gemini ikey and hated it for awhile then realized it was messing up cause I would forget to switch the phono/line thinger. but that is more expensive then an imic. but not quite in the super expensive range.

you could also look for a used imic.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have an M-Audio Firewire Interface and it sounds dandy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I have an M-Audio Firewire Interface and it sounds dandy.

Yeah, those M-Audio hundred dollar cards are perfect. Yo could also go with something from Lexicon if you wanted-I think the Alpha is their most stripped down joint.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    imic doesn't sound much better than the line in. The m-audio fw is your best bargain performer.

• hmm thanks. which m-audio are you guys working with? most of the models i'm seeing are a little beyond my means. i was hoping to get something in the $100 range.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    hmm thanks. which m-audio are you guys working with? most of the models i'm seeing are a little beyond my means. i was hoping to get something in the $100 range.

M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface

I got mine off eBay for around $125.

• 2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for Macintosh Drivers, December 10, 2007
    By M. DeHaan "diabolical hampster"
    Each day I have to reboot my machine because the audio outputs either stop working or start to pick up a lot of noise/static. Searching around the internet seems to indicate M-Audio drivers for OS X are not to be held in high regard.

If you havea Mac, I would think twice about buying M-Audio audio interfaces. (For the record, I have OS X 10.4.11).