Frank Derrick / Spiritual Jazz comp

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
not sure about the spirituality but this no jive track is tightbtw into the spiritual tip check this outhttp://es.youtube.com/user/BeyondBodyAndSoul

Comments

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Looks like a great selection. I've been curious to hear Lloyd Miller.

On a side note, did anybody ever see that Cairo Jazz Band (original) LP being offered?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    not sure about the spirituality

listen paquelas, please email jazzman gerald on our behalf. He needs to verify the spirituality of this record against the following semi-official SS list of ingredients:

Jesus, Allah, Moses, Isis
    hathor, falcons, Norwegian forest twigs
    the wind, opium, nag champa, Ishvara
    harp, upright bass, recorder, pan flute, silence
    oud, the modal yodel, tra la la
    Thembi, djembe, bengey
    flowing robes and twiddley doo didgeredoo
    sacred basil, crushed red pepper, pistachios, Lucas limon salt
    and a fez

If any 15 of the above are in some way referenced, or implicated on his record, I will buy. However, >5 tracks does not a Spiritual jazz record make. Don't blame me for that, blame Jimster.

btw, some discussion here a while back on the alleged racist nature of the cover.
    Best not to stir that up again.

• this no jive track is tight

yes it is !

b/w

Generique / Milan:

there was some talk of Cairo Jazz Band lp's that have changed hand on the Fryer Mantis board - send Francis (also on SS) a pm for more info...

no cairo jazz band LP ever changed hands on the board, worse luck, but i remember the ebay copy from about 5 years ago (pre-popsike anyway) - could have been gerald that won it in fact - i think it went for ??1500 or something? can't remember, but loads anyway. How many other copies are known? Obviously gerald has it, but i don't know of any others. There's a 45 of egypt strut, too.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing, how many are "known"? I have one, and a copy of the 45 (is not on the LP btw). Never heard of another copy 'till now.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Jesus YES
    Allah NOT REALLY
    Moses YES
    Isis ARGUABLY
    hathor NO
    falcons, NO
    Norwegian forest twigs NO
    the wind, NO
    opium - HEROIN, POSSIBLY
    nag champa NO
    Ishvara NO
    harp NO
    upright bass YES
    recorder NO
    pan flute NO
    silence NO
    oud NO
    the modal yodel NO
    tra la la YES
    Thembi NO
    djembe NO
    bengey NO
    flowing robes ALMOST CERTAINLY, SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE
    twiddley doo didgeredoo NO
    sacred basil NO
    crushed red pepper NO
    pistachios NO
    Lucas limon salt NO
    and a fez NO

INSTEAD:
    Sacred modal scales revealed by God in the Temple of Solomon and preserved by the Uighurs
    Santur
    Africa
    Poetry
    Politics
    Criminals
    Private press

hello Francis

what's Allah NOT REALLY mean?

preserved modal scales sounds good.
    But on balance, the spirituality level of the comp is weak according to the checklist.
    I will still buy though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    btw, some discussion here a while back on the alleged racist nature of the cover.
    Best not to stir that up again.

Reminds me of the "Missa Luba" cover.

the 45 was on ebay too recently and went for over $1000. (My feeble attempt was nowhere near good enough on that either).

There is at least one other salah ragab LP (apart from the neveen one, the heliopolis one and the sun ra one), but i have no idea what it sounds like.

Yeah, I saw the 45.

There's one made in France that's called something simple like Belly Dance and I have another that's a lot like other Egyptian instrumental popular music (and not bad at that.) Both have traditional instrumentation.

• skel said:
    btw, some discussion here a while back on the alleged racist nature of the cover. Best not to stir that up again.

not trying to instigate but i've been meaning to pick up this reissue comp for a minute. i just can't get past the cover though, have a vague memory of a thread here discussing it but the search engine produces nothing. was it deleted?