Where's the rest of your band at?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Known fact that there an ample amount of strutters "makin beatz".How many of you play in bands, or play real time music?I have no band, but my friend Ben and I have played music on and off for the last 5 or 6 years. Here's him on the drums and me on the guitar. Improvised:http://www.zshare.net/audio/99817140ae5462/

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Real interesting guitar sounds you're getting there man, just Reverb?.

I'm a guitarist for a newish soul band here in Vegas.

I wish I had enough money to buy the gear to make beats in my bedroom. But for now, I gotta do the real instrument thing.

Eventually I'm gonna get some tape machines and teach myself to record proper. But for now we got a little digital setup in my garage.

We've been together for about a year now, and I need to get back to recording.

http://www.myspace.com/dopamineflux

(check out La Reina, it's my favorite from the session)

- spidey

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I play guitar well enough to be in an occasional band. Used to gig on the semi-regular in pubs and local dives. Here's an awful band name for you: Batman's Pants. I play a ropey '69 Strat and a '90 PRS. I find it less alluring to play live these days than was once the case. Mine and the band's 'musical direction' has diverged over these 25 years. Maaaan. I want to be George Benson or Ryo Kawasaki and they want me to be more Paul Weller. That ain't a match made in heaven.

I have an old 8 track recording 'desk', drum machines, roland guitar synth etc for homemade one-man-band purposes. One day I may get round to tranferring to cd. I may even go for some 'private press' (aka vanity publishing) action and try to slip a few pre-weathered copies into the wild and see if they end up on ebay in 5 years time as some long lost psych raer. That's my aim anyway.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i scraatch rekkards in a band called Black Belt Jonezin, its hella fun.

myspace.com/blackbeltjonezin

• I'm a guitarist for a newish soul band here in Vegas.

you're working with the drummer from TOTEM??? that's crazy. reina is real chill.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    they want me to be more Paul Weller.

Do you have a silly haircut like Paul Weller?

they want me to be more Paul Weller.

Do you have a silly haircut like Paul Weller?

No!

I have my own silly haircut

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Mazinga Phaser: singer now lives in Korea
    bass player now lives in Kansas City
    drummer is the drummer for "The Marked Men"
    trumpet player now lives on the top of some mountain doing geological work
    other guitar player I assume stil lives in Dallas

Secret Machines: makin records and tourin the world (I iwsh I was still in that band)

Pointy Shoe Factory Violin player joined the Eels
    Sax player? I have no idea
    Singer now in "The Great Tyrant"
    Drummer makes Cartoons
    Bass player, I have no idea, assume he is still in Denton

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Mazinga Phaser: singer now lives in Korea
    bass player now lives in Kansas City
    drummer is the drummer for "The Marked Men"
    trumpet player now lives on the top of some mountain doing geological work
    other guitar player I assume stil lives in Dallas

Secret Machines: makin records and tourin the world (I iwsh I was still in that band)

Pointy Shoe Factory Violin player joined the Eels
    Sax player? I have no idea
    Singer now in "The Great Tyrant"
    Drummer makes Cartoons
    Bass player, I have no idea, assume he is still in Denton

Spidey, the guitar is running through an Re501. A beautiful piece of gear. I'm pretty sure I was running echo, reverb, SOS, and chorus on that recording.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Spidey, the guitar is running through an Re501. A beautiful piece of gear. I'm pretty sure I was running echo, reverb, SOS, and chorus on that recording.

Nice, I love space echos. Never seen a 501? I use a Roland Jc120 amp. It'd be cool to have one that incorporated some of the features of a space echo. The only thing I use is the Vibrato, not much use out of the Chorus, except to fatten up a weak delay.

Sounds like a fun project man. Do you guys get dirty looks like my band does cause your a DJ? People aren't real privy to there being DJ's in bands, and we're always trying to come up with new ideas that has him do things that isn't just scratching. Such as on La Reina, he's the Qui????.

you're working with the drummer from TOTEM??? that's crazy. reina is real chill.

Thanks for checkin our stuff out, man. La reina is probably the song I'm most proud of writing, I've only been playing guitar for about 3 years now.

- spidey

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

Sounds like a fun project man. Do you guys get dirty looks like my band does cause your a DJ? People aren't real privy to there being DJ's in bands, and we're always trying to come up with new ideas that has him do things that isn't just scratching. Such as on La Reina, he's the Qui????.

no not at all, folks seem real receptive. at most gigs there is usually a few peeps on my side of the stage just watching what im doing kinda like studying the cuts, i think it opens up a lotta eyes to "dj music" some shows i will mix records to open and between sets as well so its cool. we are a 9 man hip hop band with a horn section and keys but also do shows w/ funk and soulful rock bands as well.