Best (tightest) concert you've ever seen

2»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Pharoah Sanders damn melted my face off.
    Incognito's 25th Anniversary gig, with live string section.
    Roy Ayers with the late Zach Breaux on guitar.
    I also second Maceo with the JBs, funkiest you will see. The drummer was Dwayne Dolphin and he killed it. Singing those jawns all the way home.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Apart from Guru & Prem, I have never seen a tight rap-show. It appears to be a contradiction in terms.

WHAT DO THEY BRING TO THE LIVE TABLE? I already know the words.

• Tim Dog, Funkdoobiest, RA the Ruggeb Man, Timbo King, Hell Razah & other unknown Wu-afiliates in Munich in 2005 was dope!!!

Large Professor together with Camp Lo was also nice...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Abdullah Ibrahim Trio
    Jackie McLean Sextet
    Masada

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Masada

yeah. i've come to hate john zorn, but i have to admit masada was always extremely tight.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Tight rap show is kind of an oxymoron in my personal experience.

Fishbone back in the late 80's were on some stop on a dime shit. I remember one show when after every song Angelo kept saying stuff like "Tighter than a mosquito's asshole!" and "Tighter than a duck's butt, and that's waterproof!". Like even he was impressed with how good they were that night.

Helmet on the Strap It On tour were crazy too. Just pulverizing grooves.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, Fishbone was/is amazing live.

Glad I was able to catch Nirvana in a club.

A Z-Ro show is an experience not to be missed.

And the 3 Kings...Sizzla, Capleton, and Anthony B are each of-the-chart incredible performers.

But most importantly, if you've never witnessed Rebirth Brass Band doing the Blackbyrds' Do It Fluid (woke up this morning with its bassline repeating in my head), you are really missing out.

• Chuck Brown on his 70th b-day (he took the back seat at times, but the show was amazing)

Half Pint
    Shinehead
    Mikey Dread

Medeski Martin and Wood have killed it a few times when I caught them in Denver.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Ditto, with Public Enemy being an exception (that was a pretty tight presentation back in 1989). De La and Tribe were both 2 of the lamest shows I have witnessed in any genre, so I am always pretty skeptical about rap shows being about anything besides 'being there'.

Ditto, with Public Enemy being an exception (that was a pretty tight presentation back in 1989). De La and Tribe were both 2 of the lamest shows I have witnessed in any genre, so I am always pretty skeptical about rap shows being about anything besides 'being there'.

Whatever...you don't like rap.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

OOOHHH, iceburn.gif

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Ok....hey if you have seen good rap shows, good for you! I would say most rock shows are only good for 'being there' too, as most bands (like most rappers) coming to live performance don't have live chops anymore. It just doesn't seem like it's as important to newer generations in ANY genre.

Ok....hey if you have seen good rap shows, good for you! I would say most rock shows are only good for 'being there' too, as most bands (like most rappers) coming to live performance don't have live chops anymore. It just doesn't seem like it's as important to newer generations in ANY genre.

I've got one question for you: Which in this picture is you?

• Probably the time I saw the Sir Douglas Quintet, backed with a horn section at Maxwells in Hoboken in 1990.

Honorable mention to shows by the Chesterfield Kings and the Lyres, also at Maxwells in the mid-to-late 80's, and Santana at the Palladium in NYC in 1979.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    A Z-Ro show is an experience not to be missed.

[he parks the Crently on the dance floor]

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAYLPrnLQ9k&feature=related this is the most radioactive concert ever! enjoyed ever single minute,in a field surrounded by all the top artists in the house/techno scenes bowing down to the masters KLING KLANG RULES

• Any of the times I saw At The Drive-In.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    So many good shows.

Christ On A Crutch-their last show ever at the Hoedown Center in Richland, Washington, circa 1992 or so. All of them had been living in Seattle for years, but before they moved from D.C., they had made the Tri-Cities their home with a few members being from here, namely Nate Mendel and Eric Akre, both of whom were in Diddly Squat. They had come out with Crime Pays When Pigs Die[/b], which is still one of the best albums of the early 90's, but I think they all wanted to move on and do/try new things. As it was their "homecoming", there was an incredible buzz around here and we were going to be able to say goodbye, so to speak.

They began with "Intro", and if you're familiar with the song, they did it with as much power as the album. It gets to the mellow "country" part, and while Carrie Akre was not there to sing, everyone in the crowd played along and sang. Two guitar vamps later, the entire place yells out "STOMP!", and the entire place goes nuts. I was up front taking pictures, and it didn't let up for the next 90 minutes. They did "North Richland", "Fish People", "Christian's Crack Diary", "You Crack Me Up", I believe they also did "Folsom Prison Blues", but what got the crowd nuts was when they went back and did two Diddly Squat songs. Then it was all over.

Other bands that blew me away:
    Buzzov??en
    Sore Jackson
    Gas Huffer
    Pantera (Pink's Garage, Honolulu, 1991)
    Anthrax (Tacoma Dome, circa 1987; Metal Church opened)
    Slayer (Spokane Arena, circa 1992; Clash Of The Titans Tour)
    The Accused/Wehrmacht (Benton/Franklin County Fairgrounds, November 1988)
    Lenny Kravitz/Ozomatli (Paramount Theater, Seattle, November 13, 1998)
    Medeski, Martin & Wood (Moore Theater, Seattle; 4/1/99)
    Medeski, Martin & Wood (Moore Theater, Seattle; 6/1/00)
    Medeski, Martin & Wood (Paramount Theater, Seattle; 4/12/01)
    Michael Brecker Quartet (Richland High School Auditorium, 1998)

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    probably Sonny Fortune/Rashied Ali.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    probably Mr Bungle, back in 2002

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

wait... thinking better, probably it was the George Russell Orchestra