Matthew Larkin Cassell

TomOTomO 169 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Ecoutez -Just thought I'd let all of you know (who don't know already) that his LP / EP 'Pieces' and 'Matt The Cat' are now out on P-Vine Jp CD. I'd love both of them on vinyl but there's no way I could afford them / find them!Give the man some deserved credit and pick the CDs up - hopefully he gets some nice royalty cheques from these official releases. A great musician and songwriter - I can't believe these records weren't bigger back when they came out.Take it easy,Tom

Comments

• Give the man some deserved credit and pick the CDs up - hopefully he gets some nice royalty cheques from these official releases.

He will - he chose P-Vine after shopping around at different labels. Too bad there won't be any vinyl reissues. That said, MLC will soon be releasing his first new work since the late seventies: a 12" EP w/ two new tracks, handwritten labels.... 100 copies

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Give the man some deserved credit and pick the CDs up - hopefully he gets some nice royalty cheques from these official releases.

He will - he chose P-Vine after shopping around at different labels. Too bad there won't be any vinyl reissues. That said, MLC will soon be releasing his first new work since the late seventies: a 12" EP w/ two new tracks, handwritten labels.... 100 copies

Paging Kinetic

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This album =

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Definitely. I don't get why this album is collectible, or listenable.

• Options
    Om just sold one of these OG's for $1,500!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    overhyped.. i know dudes that sweat this album and have thrown down stupid money on bids before hearing it.

i love that track on Kon & Amir, and I think it's amazing that it's collectable now... but that kinda price, I'd rather get 2 boscoe's!

• This album =

yea... it really really sucks.

maybe not your cup of tea...but doo doo ? cmon. thats a stretch.

ive got an instrumental version of heaven. far from doo doo.

as far as fools paying dumb $$ for ANY record...who cares really...i can think of many records aside from matts that people pay far too much for.

• Options
    ive got an instrumental version of heaven.

?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't get why this album is collectible

Big spending "funky" collectros got tired of the lack of prestige in owning Steely Dan and Doobie Bros records?

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    You Guy's are TRIPPING!I just heard the whole LP recently and I think it is really strong all the way around.The only Detraction I can see is the rather soft sleeve.This ain't some local pride shit either,that shit is fresh.Listen again.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I can usually look a terd straight in the mouth and convince myself I'm listening to good music.

I just couldn't do it with this one.

Honest talk here.

And I would be the first dude to jump on some hype bandwagon.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

i love that track on Kon & Amir

the only one of his i've ever heard, and i think it's great.
    and maybe it's all i need??

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

WHAA??? master reels? DAAAMN...

That song, along with In My Life are obviously the draw of the album itself. The other tracks are OK, but to me its a solid two tracker.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

WHAA??? master reels? DAAAMN...

That song, along with In My Life are obviously the draw of the album itself. The other tracks are OK, but to me its a solid two tracker.

I felt the same way, but after giving his albums some more listens I really think both are something special.

a couple of my homies are a big part of MLC getting his shine these days. good lookin out fellas!

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    This album =

Hehe Get theeself to the thread where people are hatin on Lo Borge's & Milton's Clube De Esquina - you might agree with them too. Each to their own and everything - fair enough you might not rave about these albums or reckon they're worth serious $$$, but anybody who listens to these MLC joints and can't appreciate the production, the brilliant musicians and songwriting, has something wrong with them.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Yea. I'm not postin too much these days, but if you're not liking Pieces at least A LITTLE bit, I'm wondering....what the fuck?

When I first heard In My Life - all I could hope for was that A) there was a whole album that it came from and B) that the whole album sounded like In My Life. It pretty much does.
    His voice if Frickin' ridiculous and the shit is so mellow the whole way through. If the house goes up in flames, Pieces is the one record I'm taking with me (if i had to choose).

Kon and I are definitely bias here, but even if it's not your cup of tea, appreciate the fact that this is a dude who had NO idea that anyone in the world gave two shits about what he had done 28 years ago. And then out of nowhere, the vinyl that probably sat on a shelf collecting dust is all of a sudden fetching $1500? It's just an amazing story - and he's the nicest dude in the world. Second lease on life, gentleman. And easy, he might be Monty Starking up in here....

• And , he might be Monty Starking up in here....
    Speaking of which, is Mr. Stark still around these days?

• MATT IS THE MU'FUCKIN DOOD RIGHT THERE!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    This album =

Hehe Get theeself to the thread where people are hatin on Lo Borge's & Milton's Clube De Esquina - you might agree with them too. Each to their own and everything - fair enough you might not rave about these albums or reckon they're worth serious $$$, but anybody who listens to these MLC joints and can't appreciate the production, the brilliant musicians and songwriting, has something wrong with them.

Agreed, I think you have to be a certain type of "mellow head" to understand the genius behind the "mellowness" of stuff like MLC, Milton Nascimento, or even stuff like early Bobby Caldwell, George Cables, etc.

Lots of piano driven mellow yet jazzy/dancey/boogie/modern will never be understood by break heads and certain types of diggers. It takes all kinds.

I can definitely see the appeal of MLC to the Japanese collectros and some Euro heads.

Disclosure: I THINK MLC IS DOPE (but I could never throw down for an OG though unless I won the lotto or something).

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    MLC is a great artist and I wish that the reissue was coming out on wax. If you can't hear that this is a very unique record then listen again. If I ever found a copy it'd be tough to part with.

Best part is that he's still making music and will be putting it out and making some well-deserved money.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You guys act as though this were the first and only guy ever in history to release an under-appreciated album that now sells for lots of money.

WHATEVER.

• subsub 311 Posts
    what a coincidence. i really slept on the masters of diggin album until i started an internship at k7/rapster a couple of weeks ago. that in my life track is my absolute fav on this one so i did some google research but i didn't come up with too much exept some reviews for the sampler. a couple of minutes later i went to the forum and there it is. a whole topic about "larkin cassel".

do you know whether those reissue cds only came out in japan or do they have a world wide distro? did anyone hear them so far? are all tracks as good as "in my life"? i need that cd...

• subsub 311 Posts

Give the man some deserved credit and pick the CDs up - hopefully he gets some nice royalty cheques from these official releases.

have you heard those tracks? are they good? who is "mlc" (i guess i should know, right? well then please school an unknowing german-lol).

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

have you heard those tracks? are they good? who is "mlc" (i guess i should know, right? well then please school an unknowing german-lol).

er.... MLC = Matthew Larkin Cassell

• subsub 311 Posts

er.... MLC = Matthew Larkin Cassell

. okay. i'm still tired and my perception is still in stand by. i thought MLC would be the label that will release the 12".

is there anybody who knows where this 12" will be sold / when it'll come out?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Agreed, I think you have to be a certain type of "mellow head" to understand the genius behind the "mellowness" of stuff like MLC, Milton Nascimento, or even stuff like early Bobby Caldwell, George Cables, etc.

I can definitely see the appeal of MLC to the Japanese collectros and some Euro[/b] heads.

Honourary member! 'Heaven' is simply great music imo. No if's, and's, or butt's

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah i'd really like to hear the rest of his album. i picked up that "in my life" 45 when that came out like 2 years ago or so. i can always dig on some smoove schitt. seems like his music would go good with a breezy over for dinner at my place.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

do you know whether those reissue cds only came out in japan or do they have a world wide distro? did anyone hear them so far? are all tracks as good as "in my life"? i need that cd...

Think they're Japan only - but you can get em on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MATTHEW-LARKIN-CASSE...Q2em118Q2el1247

Get em both - you won't be dissapointed.