Your favourite Mainstream album ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

great record.

I like 'Choma' a lot too. Same line-up I think.

This has a lot of sentimental value, and one of my favorite soul/jazz covers in "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay"

'Hard-Mother Blues' by the Ernie Wilkins Orchestra, great large group funky jazz.

Lots of good ones to choose from on Mainstream.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

dont forget the rawk

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I can't deal with ernie wilkins these days. This on the other hand...

• mattfoxmattfox 51 Posts
    hi skel,

you are right!!! alice clark is awesome ... the best one!!!

• great record.

I like 'Choma' a lot too. Same line-up I think.

This has a lot of sentimental value, and one of my favorite soul/jazz covers in "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay"

'Hard-Mother Blues' by the Ernie Wilkins Orchestra, great large group funky jazz.

Lots of good ones to choose from on Mainstream.

on both of these, and add

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    hi skel,

you know that, i know that....
    see if anyone else notices

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hi skel,

it's been reissued, dude, no need for any secret squirrels

hi skel,

it's been reissued, dude, no need for any secret squirrels

Yeah, I would say at this point, that Alice Clark may be the most widely known LP in the thread! Not that you'll find an OG around anytime soon, but I bet more folks have that in their MP3 collection and on their radar than Dave Hubbard (good choice, whoever picked that, btw!).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I can't deal with ernie wilkins these days. This on the other hand...

I think this is the only Mainstream LP I have, anything similar in this vein?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Alice Clark

Frank Foster is cool too but it's not as unique as the Alice Clark record IMO.

Ernie Wilkins: VINDICATED!

• It's been a long time but I remeber not being impressed by this.

It's been a long time but I remeber not being impressed by this.

All it is is just a lowkey family blues band that evidently worshipped Jimmy Reed - A LOT - but it works for me.

Anybody else dig this LP?

I don't get the joke - Cream were not mainstream in any sense of the word.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Anybody else dig this LP?

Yes indeed, especially I Destroyed Your Love Part 2.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I've always liked Blue Mitchell's records on Mainstream.

• Not my favourite mainstream album, but I???m surprised this hasn???t been mentioned yet

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    innersource, whats that machine in your avatar?

Not my favourite mainstream album, but I???m surprised this hasn???t been mentioned yet

Now that one didn't impress me. Some of New York's funkiest session musicians get together to make an album, but the results just don't jell. For the most part.

Mainstream put out a weird compilation called The Guitar Players that included a song from this album that's actually good...I'm not sure of the title because they recredited the artist, but I think it's "Dueling Guitars" by Chuck Rainey & David T. Walker.

And as far as the compilation itself...urban jazz, rural blues, and the damned Amboy Dukes (featuring Ted Nugent wailing away), all coexisting on the same record? Believe it! It's still a good album, just a little schizophrenic.

I'm still looking for that Jay Berliner LP (he appears on this comp as well).

• That would be a Sequential Circuits Studio 440

I bought mine around '96, It???s been a minute since I used it.

This link will provide some more info. Studio440 (scroll down)

• I'm still looking for that Jay Berliner LP (he appears on this comp as well).
    It's okay. Nothing to write home about.

• Now that one didn't impress me. Some of New York's funkiest session musicians get together to make an album, but the results just don't jell. For the most part.

Mainstream put out a weird compilation called The Guitar Players that included a song from this album that's actually good...I'm not sure of the title because they recredited the artist, but I think it's "Dueling Guitars" by Chuck Rainey & David T. Walker.

And as far as the compilation itself...urban jazz, rural blues, and the damned Amboy Dukes (featuring Ted Nugent wailing away), all coexisting on the same record? Believe it! It's still a good album, just a little schizophrenic.

I'm still looking for that Jay Berliner LP (he appears on this comp as well).

once again thanks man.

Can you recomend any good Chuck Rainey albums? I always wanted to hear more of his solo work.

once again thanks man.

anytime

Can you recomend any good Chuck Rainey albums? I always wanted to hear more of his solo work.

The only one I've heard (does he have any others?) is the one on Cobblestone, The Chuck Rainey Coalition. It's good enough, it gets by, but it's hardly an out-and-out classic.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have this comp - what an ugly cover! I picked up the Jay Berliner
    based on the tracks from this album, it's decent ... like you would expect
    from the comp, it's pretty much the same sound as early Dennis Coffey LP's.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Back to the topic heading for me.

Alice Clark - Very consistent LP - love "Charms Of The Arms Of Love".. To me, it's solid but doesn't have that much WOW factor

Frank Foster - a classic.

Blue Mitchell - as commented by someone else. The album with "Dorado" on it is on Mainstream isn't it? Quite good!

I like

Harold Land - Damisi

Sarah Vaughn - Feelin' Good (contains that treacherously looped "jus a little lovin")

Buddy Terry (album with "awareness".. mad spiritual jazz)

also