SP-404: Drop knowledge on me please

The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
soooooooo i'm finally coming to realize that it's time to jump into the realm of producing [for fun]. i guess it's time so to speak, since i've been DJ'ing for 9 years, and all those years without any kind of production tool. i've recently gotten some requests from people to do some beats for them based upon what i've let them hear with records, and various loops i've done. my question is this, what's up with new/newer gear? someone's selling an SP-404 for a real good price and i'd like to go pick it up this week if it's legit. i've had a bunch of good deals pass me by on all the classic gear back home and in NYC, but honestly i don't have time to go around hitting every pawn and used music store to haggle on an empty asr10 that may or may not work right. i've got a big vacation planned this summer plus various trips so if i could, i would drop some good money on a nicely taken care of MPC or whatever, but that's just not the case right now. please let me know if the 404 is a good "beginning" venture. i can read manufacturers reviews all day but i wanna hear it from the people. good for laying down a simple drum pattern w/some smooth Farrell-sax overtop?thanks.

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I wouldn't bother with sp-404, a second hand sp-505 is a better bet in my view, as it's the only sp with decent pitch control.
    This place should help...

http://sp-forums.com/index.php

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Ive owned the 303, 404, and the 606. The 404 is alright for getting started but is kind of a hassle to make full beats with. The 606 is running pretty cheap on ebay lately, and that has a lot more features and is more of a complete workstation.

That being said if you just need something simple to mess with then that should be fine. I think you can also midi it up to a pc and use it as a midi controller down the road when you want to get into deeper production with DAWs.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ohh? but for the price of a 505 i could get something better [used]. this 404 has a good "throw away" price, plus he's selling it with a flash card and usb interface.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I have a 303 and I like it a lot. I get the most use out of it by chopping up samples with the 303 and arranging my beats /finished product with acid pro (or whatever software you like to use).

One of my homies has the 404 and I would prefer that over a 303. The 404 has a cool built in mic, as well as battery power so you can make beats anywhere. He's actually made some dope beats sampling shit on the subway and making the beats right there with some headphones. Another cool thing about the 404 is it has some more effects than the 303.

If you have a good price on that 404, I'd get it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Does one of these machine have the full 808/909 sounds on it?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    no. just some factory stock presets for each machine.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    If you're starting off it's better to go with software like Fruity loops and then if you're serious about it get an MPC 2000xl which goes for only $500-600. Those lil SP gadgets look cool but are a pain in the ass if you want professional sounding result.
    Check the MPC-Forums for more info on models that are worth it.
    In my opinin if people are selling something really cheap it might just be that it's in bad condition or somethin.

thanks for the input Ject. yeah i'm not too concerned with any stock sounds either cause i'll be making my own library. i just kinda need this to get the ball rolling on some projects that are long overdue.

any other input/testimonials would help. i appreciate everyones response!

If you're starting off it's better to go with software like Fruity loops and then if you're serious about it get an MPC 2000xl which goes for only $500-600. Those lil SP gadgets look cool but are a pain in the ass if you want professional sounding result.
    Check the MPC-Forums for more info on models that are worth it.
    In my opinin if people are selling something really cheap it might just be that it's in bad condition or somethin.

i tried fruity loops back in '99-00 maybe and hated it. i didn't know that was still around hahaha.

yeah like i said i've passed on two 2000's for $500 from 2 friends last year, but nothing's come up since. i know 500 is only a couple hundreds difference from what i'll get this 404 for, but it is to me right now (going to kobenhavn & norway this summer and would like to "help" out as much as possible with the ladys ticket)

my thing is, i trust those 2 people who were selling it to me. and even though i don't know this guy at least i can test it out on the fly right there before i hand over the [where da] cash [at]. rather than trying to fanagle something off eBay with this missing or that needs replacement whatever-whatevers

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    secret weapon

RS7000

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Going on the software tip, I enjoy AcidPro/SoundForge combo. It's very easy to chop shit up in acid and it's easy to create loops/record samples with sound forge. The main problem I run into with that shit is slowing down the tempo of samples without getting that shitty computer/tinney sound...that sound that screams "I was made on a computer by an amature" haha...

• observobserv 55 Posts
    get a mpc 500

if you can get one used they run pretty cheap

there was one for around 375 here and i think i sold one for like 350 or so

it's well worth it

better/more forgiving sequencer, better pitch shifting, better feeling pads, midi out so you can use it as a controller, track mute, more polyphony.

404 has more effects, but i dont really use anything out side of delays and light reverb and compression which the 500 has.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    There's a reason why they go for so cheap...

yeah i'm skipping on this purchase...

50% soulstrut

50% all videos of audible crap people are making with it

i know i shouldn't just go off of the 10 or so videos i saw, but rather what i could do with it...but i just kept shaking my head and said "yeah, lemme hustle some stuffs on ebay for the extra money"

thanks my side hawgs