SOUL INSTRUMENTALS - yes or no?

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yes, as long as it's good! It's hard to give a definitive yay or nay to soul and funk instrumentals as much as it would be to vocal soul and funk.

The reason I singled out soul instrumentals is because it's viewed by collectors and fans as a semi-rarity. Half the time, when you hear a program on public radio or college radio devoted to old soul, the instrumentals are used to talk over. In other words, soul instros ARE underrated, and that is why I thought I'd shed some light on the subject.

The equivalent would be if I started a thread called "Jazz Vocals: Yes Or No?" Even though jazz has a legacy of innovative singers, the instrumentalists are still running things in that category.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There are a handful of very good Soul/Funk instrumentals on the early Ohio Players Westbound LPs. I actually like them over alot of the vocal stuff.

3 to 4 mins of str8 jammin. Funky Soul w/ Jazzy sprinkles...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes, as long as it's good! It's hard to give a definitive yay or nay to soul and funk instrumentals as much as it would be to vocal soul and funk.

The reason I singled out soul instrumentals is because it's viewed by collectors and fans as a semi-rarity. Half the time, when you hear a program on public radio or college radio devoted to old soul, the instrumentals are used to talk over. In other words, soul instros ARE underrated, and that is why I thought I'd shed some light on the subject.

Yes, understood.

I wonder if soul instrumentals suffer from being categorized as something other than just that...and get lumped into funk - which I consider to be just as much an instrumental genre as a vocal one - or even funky jazz*, because it's an easier "sell" than calling it soul instrumental.

The equivalent would be if I started a thread called "Jazz Vocals: Yes Or No?" Even though jazz has a legacy of innovative singers, the instrumentalists are still running things in that category.

No doubt jazz is predominately an instrumental genre, but I don't think asking the same question of vocal jazz would be an equivlalent given superstars like L Armstrong, B Holiday, E Fitzgerald, D Washington, N K Cole, D Krall. Its presence and acceptance is not as obscure as soul instrumentals.

*I wanted to put Lonely Avenue by the Ramsey Lewis Trio and African Mailman by Nina Simone on my original list of favourites, but thought Strutters would argue them as jazz even though they feel like soul songs to me more than anything.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

*I wanted to put Lonely Avenue by the Ramsey Lewis Trio and African Mailman by Nina Simone on my original list of favourites, but thought Strutters would argue them as jazz even though they feel like soul songs to me more than anything.

If I were to try and define a dividing line between "soul instros" and "soul jazz" it
    would come down to length of tracks. Soul instros are typically the length of a
    vocal track, say 2-3 1/2 minutes or so, while soul jazz tunes are a bit more stretched
    out. Like Lonnie Smith's "Finger Lickin' Good" album - I consider that a soul instro LP,
    as it is filled with 2 1/2 minute songs ... whereas his Blue Note albums like "Move Your Hand"
    feature longer, jammy tracks, and would definitely be more of what is called "soul jazz."

• Options
    Paul Humphrey & the Cool-Aid Chemists who could bore the living shit out of you

Never understood the appeal of the song "Cool Aid" with that calliope organ.

Insert the "B/W" Greamlin with a "I thought you knew?" bubble.

If I were to try and define a dividing line between "soul instros" and "soul jazz" it
    would come down to length of tracks. Soul instros are typically the length of a
    vocal track, say 2-3 1/2 minutes or so, while soul jazz tunes are a bit more stretched
    out. Like Lonnie Smith's "Finger Lickin' Good" album - I consider that a soul instro LP,
    as it is filled with 2 1/2 minute songs ... whereas his Blue Note albums like "Move Your Hand"
    feature longer, jammy tracks, and would definitely be more of what is called "soul jazz."

There is a lot of crossover. When I say "soul instrumentals," I'm including all the sub-categories like funk and the more soulish jazz tracks. Hell, something like Ray Bryant's "Up Above The Rock" may as well be soul/jazz/funk simultaneously.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this thread made me wanna do a special edition of my radio show...so nothing but soul instros tomorrow night on "In The Basement"....tune in at 10PM CST www.wevl.org

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    ramsey lewis would fit in ?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I'm including all the sub-categories like funk and the more soulish jazz tracks.

If you're including funk then the answer is yes. A good portion of the funk45 canon is instrumental (Leroy & the Drivers, Herb Johnson Settlement, John Bradley etc.)

So, once again, yes. Yes on behalf of everyone.

ramsey lewis would fit in ?

if young-holt can fit in, then ramsey can too