anyone go to the Dodgers/Sox game?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
115,000 I ran into someone last night at the bar who went, said the tailgate party was like the annual USC/UCLA game.

Comments

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Yeah, it was crazy.

The mexican wave we had going on for a minute was plain bonkers.

...and only one Dodger managed to homer over a 201 yard boundary.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Hey - there was, um, netting!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Hey - there was, um, netting!

Yeah, but still a chipshot for Youkalis et al.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I am not a fan of the wave at all, but I must admit the craziest wave I ever saw was last year at the Indians home opener. If you recall, Cleveland was snowed out so the game was played in Milwaukee at the retractable Miller Field. Being that they were playing American league ball at a National league yard, there was a ticket special. $10 a head, only box seats on the lower and middle levels available, first come first served. I think they had like 10,000 in there. In any case, they had $4 New Glarus on tap and people were getting throwed. Wave starts and all is normal for a few cycles, until the Wave God turned the event into a technical clinic on true wave making. Shit momentarily paused, went in instant reverse, at which point a second wave started going counterclockwise with the same amount of participation. Visually it was really wild looking. Thinking it couldn't get any better, one of the waves went all slow motion while the reverse wave stayed at the same speed. Then they both slowed down for a few revolutions, and then they both went to turbo speed. And then they just stopped, cold, at the exact point where they both started. Mind you, there was no scoreboard instructing this...it was the collective baseball unconscious going for broke. I remember looking down at the field and Vlad Guerrero (Indians vs. Angels) was even smiling at the crowd prowess.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    I am not a fan of the wave at all, but I must admit the craziest wave I ever saw was last year at the Indians home opener. If you recall, Cleveland was snowed out so the game was played in Milwaukee at the retractable Miller Field. Being that they were playing American league ball at a National league yard, there was a ticket special. $10 a head, only box seats on the lower and middle levels available, first come first served. I think they had like 10,000 in there. In any case, they had $4 New Glarus on tap and people were getting throwed. Wave starts and all is normal for a few cycles, until the Wave God turned the event into a technical clinic on true wave making. Shit momentarily paused, went in instant reverse, at which point a second wave started going counterclockwise with the same amount of participation. Visually it was really wild looking. Thinking it couldn't get any better, one of the waves went all slow motion while the reverse wave stayed at the same speed. Then they both slowed down for a few revolutions, and then they both went to turbo speed. And then they just stopped, cold, at the exact point where they both started. Mind you, there was no scoreboard instructing this...it was the collective baseball unconscious going for broke. I remember looking down at the field and Vlad Guerrero (Indians vs. Angels) was even smiling at the crowd prowess.

Dante, you know I love you, and while that's an impressive read, I have to call bullshit on you this time. That's just crazy talk up there.

The funniest wave story I have is actually quite pathetic. Falcons beating the Seahawks 2nd string at the end of one of their worst seasons ever, and a 60% empty Georgia Dome starts doing the wave. Made the Icehouse almost palatable.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I prefer New Wave

Made the Icehouse almost palatable.

Since when are you a wave historian/connoisseur?

Unrelated: The ABC made-for-TV movie The Wave, about fascism in high school, really needs to be revisited.

• long time lurker, first time poster. had to climb in to point out that the wave started at husky stadium in 81. check it: http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march96/wave.html

seattle stand up. now sit down. and that's the wave.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My favorite thing about the wave (at Fenway Park at least) is how when it hits the
    expensive seats it always dies out, then picks up again on the other side. I always
    would crack up, sitting in the bleachers, watching it go strong through center, on
    through the right field grandstands, then die with the snobs behind the 1st base
    dugout, and everyone would start booing loud as hell, and then it would just start
    up again behind home plate up the third base line, all the way around, only to die
    again in the snob seats. The rich don't stand up for no freaking wave, holmes.

Also, in defense of Dante, his story seems a little out there, but I did see some
    creative waves in my time, including the sudden reversed direction and the dual
    wave that crossed over behind home plate. The ability of a crowd to this without
    direction, spontaneously, is pretty insane.

Also reminds me of the greatest thrill of my childhood, which would be the ability
    to start a "LET'S GO RED SOX" chant at Fenway, little old 7 year old me would start
    screaming "LET'S GO, RED - SOX!" and people would pick it up, and a minute later
    30,000 would be doing the chant that I started, little old ME. I would get crazy chills.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    long time lurker, first time poster. had to climb in to point out that the wave started at husky stadium in 81. check it: http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march96/wave.html

seattle stand up. now sit down. and that's the wave.

Nice first post. Bonus points for having figured out the location thing already.

Made the Icehouse almost palatable.

Since when are you a wave historian/connoisseur?

Since....hmmm, had to have been at least since 5 seconds into reading your story. I'll be watching the Falcons lose again this season. Maybe someone will wake me up when the wave starts up again around game 15.

I did see some creative waves in my time, including the sudden reversed direction and the dual wave that crossed over behind home plate. The ability of a crowd to this without direction, spontaneously, is pretty insane.

PROOF I AM NOT ALONE IN SEEING THIS MAJOR FEAT OF MANKIND

I did see some creative waves in my time, including the sudden reversed direction and the dual wave that crossed over behind home plate. The ability of a crowd to this without direction, spontaneously, is pretty insane.

PROOF I AM NOT ALONE IN SEEING THIS MAJOR FEAT OF MANKIND

ok ok. I must concede. I also ran this by a non-Strut friend who said that it was believable IF it happened in Milwaukee. I give the floor to Don Costas of Soulstrut