Foodies: Kecap Manis, anyone (shoyu-related)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone tried this? I read about it in the last issue of "Saveur", unfortunately none of the Asian stores around here stock it, and I don't know if it's worth buying via mail order.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Soy sauce raer?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ahaha! shoyu dude! i bet like 2% of folks on here know what youre taking about. i think this can sometimes be found at indian markets. ive seen it there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sayin' - what makes this so off the wall?

• Sweet molasses style soy sauce that is used in a lot of Indonesian recipies. No you do not need to special order a case, because that would last you a hell of a long time. I would be inclined to get a good quality japanese soy, reduce it by half, then add some raw sugar and cornstarch for flavour and consistency.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Sweet molasses style soy sauce that is used in a lot of Indonesian recipies. No you do not need to special order a case, because that would last you a hell of a long time. I would be inclined to get a good quality japanese soy, reduce it by half, then add some raw sugar and cornstarch for flavour and consistency.

I'd like to do that down the line (and it would have been a bottle, not a whole case), but want to try the real thing first so I can at least know what it tastes like. As I said, it was mentioned in Saveur magazine and I've never been one to experiment with shoyu too much unless I'm making teriyaki or katsu sauce. The description of it being used on French fries sounded a bit interesting, and thought if people used it on that, it might be good on other foods.

I will not be in Seattle until later in the year, but I did find something on the Chowhound forum which talked about it a bit:
    http://www.chowhound.com/topics/494893

Soy sauce raer?

Not raer in bigger cities, but unavailable here. The one good Asian store that is here has other soy sauces but not this one. The other "known" brand in the U.S. is ABC, and that one is actually available through Amazon.

I've been wanting to try some different things in terms of food, breaking out of my comfort zone, and I had never heard of this. So it's more unavailable than RAER, at least for now.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up J? They got five kinds at the supermarket under my apartment including the ABC brands in 1L plastic bottles.

www.uwajimaya.com

Let me know next time you'll be over here on the west side and I can show you some food shops here in Chinatown. I can also take you to Kauai Family restaurant for da kine ono grindz. Plate lunch, fresh malasadas and ahi poke!

http://www.kauaifamilyrestaurant.com/

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    They got five kinds at the supermarket under my apartment
    www.uwajimaya.com

OMG, so jealous you live above one of these. I have to drive 20 mins to get to one but so thankful we have one here. When my Afghan friend was in town it was the only place we could find elaichi, black cardamom, which is REALLY intense.

I remember a commercial line of Ramen called Indio-Me in the 90's that had three flavor packets. The seasoning, a chili oil and a dark syrupy spicy molasses kind of thing. I wonder if it had this stuff in it. I wish I could find that brand/flavor again. maybe it is the same thing?? or close? Now I'm curious.

What up J? They got five kinds at the supermarket under my apartment including the ABC brands in 1L plastic bottles.

www.uwajimaya.com

Let me know next time you'll be over here on the west side and I can show you some food shops here in Chinatown. I can also take you to Kauai Family restaurant for da kine ono grindz. Plate lunch, fresh malasadas and ahi poke!

http://www.kauaifamilyrestaurant.com/

Excellent, and I'll let you know when I make it up there again ($$$ is tight right now, although that's nothing new for me as of late).