George Duke...favourites / recommends

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I have a couple of George Duke LP's but I think this one is my favourite I am about to organize those LP`s: Are those good??Any other recommends?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

this is a fine record with the big jazz dance tune "My Soul". Some other tracks are a bit mad. You're in Germany right? This is around on 2 MPS issues. You are looking at 50+ Euros I expect.

I also like the 'Reach for It' album, there are some nice tracks in a late 70's jazz funk vein. The track 'Diamonds' is lovely brazilian fusion. You see this for pennies (pfennigs?!) all over the place.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah Inner Source would be my favourite. It's been a good few years since I put it on but I do remember liking I Love The Blues as well.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    His stuff with Frank Zappa is also worth checking:

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/George_Duke

Apostrophe and Waka/Jawaka are the ones I am feeling.

Bobby Lyle did it a bit groovier.

• "I Want You for Myself"

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I also like the 'Reach for It' album, there are some nice tracks in a late 70's jazz funk vein. The track 'Diamonds' is lovely brazilian fusion. You see this for pennies (pfennigs?!) all over the place.

Indeed a great track...so surprised no one ever mentions this track.
    A Brazilian love affair remains one of my favorite fusion albums of all time.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

IMHO his best is:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i only like duke for one track on the faces in reflection lp. the other ones are big phat turds. george duke is overrated. who even started the hype on him?

i find george duke records for 10 euros all the time. no reason to spend more than that on ANY duke lp. none of the mps lps is rare.

• cosign faces in reflection and inner source (as mentioned-there is a 2-fer late 70's press of this lp that is considerably cheaper than og that has a lightbulb on the cover)

some of his later 70's is also real good. here is case in point: "dr. spock gets funky"

i only like duke for one track on the faces in reflection lp. the other ones are big phat turds. george duke is overrated. who even started the hype on him?

i find george duke records for 10 euros all the time. no reason to spend more than that on ANY duke lp. none of the mps lps is rare.

Ok, next time you find a mint Inner Source on first issue I will buy from you for 11 euros.
    You make a gain of 10%, everyone's happy!

• none of the mps lps is rare.

i thought The Inner Source 2LP is "kind of" rare...

which track on the Faces In Reflection do you like by the way??

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    none of the mps lps is rare.

you want to test me?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Ok, next time you find a mint Inner Source on first issue I will buy from you for 11 euros.
    You make a gain of 10%, everyone's happy!

i'd sell it to you for 30 euros.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    btw, SLAP BASS EVERYONE!

you're in a bad mood today!

• none of the mps lps is rare.

you want to test me?

don??t want to test you. just want to know which track you are thinking of...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    you're in a bad mood today!

not only today...

i'm serious. i don't like the MPS george duke lps. slapp bass and synth manifesto. what can i do?! and i really really really see his records all the time. none of them costs more than 25 euro if i remember correctly. i do not kid!

george duke is overrated

mmhh in a sense I could

i only like duke for one track on the faces in reflection lp. the other ones are big phat turds.

• you're in a bad mood today!

none of them costs more than 25 euro if i remember correctly. i do not kid!

you are right, some of them are not that good but if something is expensive and rare doesn??t mean that it is good.

if you don??t have a million dollars you have to dig through dollar bins somtimes...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

george duke is overrated

mmhh in a sense I could

i only like duke for one track on the faces in reflection lp. the other ones are big phat turds.

do you guys like p-funk jazz that much?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

you are right, some of them are not that good but if something is expensive and rare doesn??t mean that ist good.

i do not understand.

george duke is overrated

mmhh in a sense I could

do you guys like p-funk jazz that much?

Reflections ...it's a good album from the start to end.

However I agree when you say that is later production is mediocre and too popular in record stores....

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i gotta be honest... haven't listened to the reflections lp in ages. i can only recall the track 'the opening' being good until george noodles on his moog. it's just too much of him on his record.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    strider, i love that junior parker lp in your avatar. it was one of the first ten records i bought in my life.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    When you dis slap bass, ....

Good slap:

Me'Shell
    Louis Johnson
    Marcus Miller (early 80s steez)
    Mark King. There I done said it. DEAL.

Bad slap:

Victor Wooten
    Anyone who plays slap at a similar speed; a speed at which the hands appear to be going backwards in a blur like when you are drunk and watching a fairground carousel or riding shotgun past an endless wall of railings... Mang.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I ride for this. Some cool spaced out shit on here.

Thanx...

george duke stuff of the time was a bit like those commercial albums for arista LY cut some years later...

BTW I can't see your avatar though.... is it just me ?

none of them costs more than 25 euro if i remember correctly. i do not kid!

you are right, some of them are not that good but if something is expensive and rare doesn??t mean that ist good.

if you don??t have a million dollars you have to dig through dollar bins somtimes...
    Millions....
    don't understand what you mean...
    IMHO 'Inner Source' remains great whether it costs 1 euro or 500. The price is irrelevant. Totally.
    However, this item won't cost 500 euros.
    I'm saying the usual price is 50. Grope says 10 to 25. Thats fine, you are in the home market and I am not.

Next time you find it for peanuts, share your good fortune! I buy mint at 20 Euros. Hit me!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    you can't see my avatar? hm... it's klaus weiss. from the sunbirds lp. too bad! my webspace sucks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Good slap:

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's some reviews of a couple of his albums. He recorded a variety of styles so its up to your own personal taste which ones you'll like.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Jazz&page=24