Monk Higgins Appreciation

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    my rule of thumb:

Monk Higgins listed as arranger/producer..check it out it might be good

Monk Higgins listed as artist...90% chance it is going to suck

Yeah, I kinda got that impression...as I said above, I kinda like his 1960's singles on St. Lawrence, but I'm a little leery of anything after that.

• I had never heard his "artist" material until yesterday when I picked up heavyweight for cheap. I don't see any reason to hatt. the entire B-side is pretty solid. nothing near mindblowing, but heavy indeed. "Gotta Be Funky" especially.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    my rule of thumb:

90% seems a bit high. "ESP" and "Heavyweight" are perfectly fine for what they are. "Dance to the Disco Sax" at least has "one man band." But I agree - as an arranger/producer, Higgins' career was more fruitful than his solo work.

Hey PIckwick: any chance we can hear that B-side gospel joint?

• my rule of thumb:

90% seems a bit high. "ESP" and "Heavyweight" are perfectly fine for what they are. "Dance to the Disco Sax" at least has "one man band." But I agree - as an arranger/producer, Higgins' career was more fruitful than his solo work.

Heavyweight is a really good one. I still haven't heard the one on Solid State. His MacArthur Park LP is a bit of a snoozer too. Definitely dig his productions. Blue Mitchell's Collision In Black and Bantu Village are both top notch, as is the already mentioned work with Freddy Robinson.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And as noted: Gene Harris/3 Sounds productions are excellent too.

And of course, "Sheba Baby."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

if i could find a way to rip an ancient 45 to a computer, yougotit

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    And of course, "Sheba Baby."

I just popped in Sheba Baby for the first time in a while. Seeing Monk Higgins name made me think of this thread. Such a good soundtrack ... with Barbara Mason on vocals as well. Definitely gonna have to search that one out.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the E.S.P.album on Solid State that people sweat.

he's great...what does this album sound like? promising sleeve...

For my money, "The Look Of Slim," the second track on side one of Extra Soul Perception, is probably the best thing Higgins did under his own name. The album is more than a one-tracker, although some tracks definitely festoon themselves with the dreaded "snoozy" moniker. Worth picking up under $15. His LP "Heavyweight" (UA) has its moments as well.

• i bought a copy of the coming atlantis a couple months ago. it was beat to $#!+, but i just couldn't let it go for a couple bucks. makes me sad. one of those things.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    whoa, whats up bobby?