Which 2001 album holds up better?

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

2001......Ill have to return to it and see if iys holds up. I liked it when it came out but i wasnt blown away.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dudes, please be serious with this foolishness.

I cant defend Pete Rock but I can Fat Joe.

"We Thuggin'"

"What's Luv"

"My Lifestyle"

...are you really gonna defend those schitts?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Are you really gonna pretend like you didn't run through the dorms down at morgan state?

Are you really gonna pretend like you didn't run through the dorms down at morgan state?

No more than I would deny the off-the-chain nature of my Miami pool parties and the underwater activities engaged in thereat.

"We Thuggin'" Nah

"What's Luv" Nah

"My Lifestyle"

...are you really gonna defend those schitts?

My Lifestyle is heat baby!

Definition of a Don is Crazy

Murder Rap - str8 heat

Still real - YES

We Thuggin Remix - yes

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Out of that list I'd pick Cold Vein. Whatever, at least it had pretensions. I guess Nas has pretensions. But he also has 'Nas ear'.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    speaking of this UGK album, is there an unedited version of "Ain't That A Bitch" floating around out there?

But he also has 'Nas ear'.

• Options

these were among the funniest/coolest internet graphics i ever seen, do u have the rest of them?

Peace to edith head for putting me up on these masterpeices.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "The Blueprint", by a mile. For me, this album is an all-time classic and my personal favourite Jay-Z album. There's a little filler on it, admittedly, but not so much that it interferes with the overall cohesiveness of the record. That in itself was as unusual then as it is now. After it dropped, it was just about the only rap record I listened to for about three months solid.

"Dirty Money" is the only UGK album I've never heard, so I can't call that at all.

More than anything with "Stillmatic", I was just glad Nas had finally made another record that I didn't want to frisbee halfway through listening to it. That said, I didn't exactly play it to death either.

I've only heard "The Cold Vein" all the way through once, and it didn't do much for me at all. I didn't really get all the fuss over it; I was still bumping "Warriorz" when that came out, and wondering why more people weren't raving about that. By then, that whole Def Jux post-apocalyptic dystopian rap was beginning to sound like the dead end it eventually became.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Out of that list I'd pick Cold Vein.

you have to be the, what, 5th dude to pick this one?

and there's only like 10 poasters total in here.

I never realized this album got so much strutluv.

> Blueprint

Heh. Dunno about that, but Disposable Arts is a great album.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I think there are definitely some moments of artistic brilliance on Cold Vein. Vein, Painkillers, and Ox out the Cage are all sick songs. So were Pigeon, Ridiculoid, Iron Galaxy, or Straight off the D.I.C. if your into the further out there production and rap.

I just appreciate music that tries to take hip hop to new places and isn't afraid to take risks.

None of those other three really did anything interesting for me.

"The Blueprint", by a mile. For me, this album is an all-time classic and my personal favourite Jay-Z album. There's a little filler on it, admittedly, but not so much that it interferes with the overall cohesiveness of the record. That in itself was as unusual then as it is now. After it dropped, it was just about the only rap record I listened to for about three months solid.

The Ruler's Back - doesnt hold up
    Takeover - Boring but ill let it count cause he's comin at cats
    Izzo - Hell No
    Girls,Girls,Girls - Most Definitely...one of my favorite joints ever

Jigga That N!&&^ - FILLER
    U Dont Know - INCREDIBLE
    Hola'Hovito - Yes
    Heart Of The City - doesnt hold up, but i liked it when it came out, now filler

Never Change - FILLER
    Song Cry - wack......the Version from the live movie w/ Mary is way better
    All I Need - The definition of FILLER
    Renegade - Sonned by Slim Shady

BluePrint - FILLER
    Breathe Easy - Ill give u that.
    Girls,Girls,Girls - ill give u that.

Burp

I think there are definitely some moments of artistic brilliance on Cold Vein. Vein, Painkillers, and Ox out the Cage are all sick songs. So were Pigeon, Ridiculoid, Iron Galaxy, or Straight off the D.I.C. if your into the further out there production and rap.

I just appreciate music that tries to take hip hop to new places and isn't afraid to take risks.

None of those other three really did anything interesting for me.

The problem I had with a lot of that kind of stuff at the time was that being "out there" seemed to have become an end in itself. There was a thread a while back about "J Beez Wit The Remedy", and I think I posted something to the effect of how parts of that record were every bit as "out there" as a lot of the records that Def Jux and them were putting out, yet Can Ox, Aesop Rock and all them were being hailed as fearless pioneers when the Jungle Brothers had, in many respects, beaten them to the punch by almost a decade. It got to the point with some of that shit, particularly "Fantastic Damage", where I began to think, OK, if I want to listen to industrial music, I'll cop a Ministry album, or Front 242 or whatever. Or I'll listen to that third JBs record.

Three of my favourite records from that whole turn-of-the-millenium period were "Blueprint", "Warriorz" and "Industry Shakedown", and the main reason I liked them was because they were rap records - apart from "Blueprint", those latter two were better than anything I heard in 2001, and the three of them are great examples of records that concentrate on doing the simple things well; filler's kept to a minimum, production's consistent, rhymes are tight, beats are hard as fuck. I still listen to all of them.

The Ruler's Back - doesnt hold up
    Takeover - Boring but ill let it count cause he's comin at cats
    Izzo - Hell No
    Girls,Girls,Girls - Most Definitely...one of my favorite joints ever

Jigga That N!&&^ - FILLER
    U Dont Know - INCREDIBLE
    Hola'Hovito - Yes
    Heart Of The City - doesnt hold up, but i liked it when it came out, now filler

Never Change - FILLER
    Song Cry - wack......the Version from the live movie w/ Mary is way better
    All I Need - The definition of FILLER
    Renegade - Sonned by Slim Shady

BluePrint - FILLER
    Breathe Easy - Ill give u that.
    Girls,Girls,Girls - ill give u that.

Burp

Hahahaha! Nah, I just like the whole vibe of it. I take some of your points, but there's something about the mood and atmosphere of the album that hit with me at the time, and has stayed hittin'. Certain individual songs you could look at and say, well he did this before, and probably better ("Song Cry" and "You Must Love Me", for instance), but overall it works for me. A really strong, consistent and, dare I say, influential record.