Wrong Cover, Dope Record

cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
This happens always on Fleamrkets, i guess. I had two good ones: In a Syl Johnson Cover I found a Opus LP (wich is the same as Coke, I think) paid 50 Cent,And in a Crazy Disco Comp I found the Chain Reaction with the Break on it. (is it Hogtied?)I wish I had the Covers. But then I would have paid more.What did you guys find in wrong Covers?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I once bought "War of the Worlds" double and got it home to find Carole King's "Tapestry" vinyl in the sleeve.

I took it back and changed the vinyl, and consequently missed out on about 15 years of CK goodness. Should have changed the sleeve.....

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I had it just the other way round once.
    Found a UK press of Enter the Dragon, got home and found the OST "Gauntlet" inside.
    The label design looks the same. It was really cheap so I wasn't bothered too much. Went back to the shop and spent an hour looking for a Gauntlet sleeve without success.

Anybody looking to upgrade their UK Enter the Dragon sleeve?

• I found that Culture Shock International inside an Ace Spectrum sleeve. Had no idea at the time what it was but my spidey sense went off so I grabbed it anyways. I was glad I did when I got home and threw it on.

MCF

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I have a killer 70's West African comp that's mostly highlife but has one straight up funk/afrobeat track that I bought in a NC flea a few years ago. The cover is from another killer 70's African compilation. Would love to find the right matches!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Shirley Bassey's Something record (dope LP) in the Shirley Bassey Something Else cover (dope gatefold).

• catalyst "unity" inside eddie jefferson "thing are gonna change"

anyone have an extra "unity" sleeve?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I bought Ike Quebec's Bossa Nova Soul Samba and when I checked it at home
    I found Enoch Light's Big Band Bossa Nova.
    Obviously, I never found Ike's record at the store.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Some George Howard smooth jazz LP only to find Muthas Nature in it.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i recently bought one of those project 3 records, i think it was "hair goes latin" and i opened it up and the record that came out was a comp of country 45s! 45 country or something like that. the wierd part is the project 3 record was sealed! i assume it was resealed by someone at some point, but i was still like WTF?!?!?!?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i bought the new MIA record and on the C side of the second LP was two crunk songs off a Ludarcis album or something... weird, its the first time ive ever come across a totaly differant album on one side of a record.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was digging around in my storage yesterday and in the process of throwing away a skated Sesame Street LP out popped a clean "C Is For Cookie" 12" single.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    When I was in high school I bought the 8-track to Dark Side of the Moon and when I put it into my car stereo Chic's Le Freak came out. I hated disco at the time and was not amused.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Picked up a nice minty copy of the Trouble Man OST lp - inside a totally shitty Here My Dear cover. So if anyone's got a nice OG cover for the LP hit me up.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    don't you people inspect the record when you are buying? I mean, you take the record out, check condition under direct light at 59?? and then while you are at it, take a look the label to see if it matches the cover?

YOU ARE ALL SOME AMATEURS

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    sometimes im in such a hurry that i dont remember to check the records...but usually this is at reputable record stores so its ok.

ive discovered a few breaks from getting the wrong lp in a sleeve.

now if there was a thread about records youve found without sleeves or sleeves found without records....id have plenty to tell....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I got King Curtis "Sweet Soul" inside the "Soul Battle" sleeve, I even listened to it instore! King Curtis, check, soul in the title, check, yellow deep groove prestige label, check, examine it again at home after buying, dammit!

I got King Curtis "Sweet Soul" inside the "Soul Battle" sleeve, I even listened to it instore! King Curtis, check, soul in the title, check, yellow deep groove prestige label, check, examine it again at home after buying, dammit!

wait, these records are on Prestige in NZ? arent these on Atlantic or Atco in the US?

now if there was a thread about records youve found without sleeves or sleeves found without records....id have plenty to tell....

There is, it's called "Sleeve Strut" over in "Wants/Trades"

wait, these records are on Prestige in NZ? arent these on Atlantic or Atco in the US?
    Nah, he had a few straight up jazz LPs on Prestige. Before all the TruSound, Enjoy, Capitol, Atlantic/Atco bizzo.

Nah, he had a few straight up jazz LPs on Prestige. Before all the TruSound, Enjoy, Capitol, Atlantic/Atco bizzo.

hmm, what does the cover of the prestige "sweet soul" look like? didnt he have an album on atco with that same title with a pic of his face on the cover? or am i totally mixed up....

hmm, what does the cover of the prestige "sweet soul" look like? didnt he have an album on atco with that same title with a pic of his face on the cover? or am i totally mixed up....
    I don't actually know what the cover looks like, on second thought it might not even be "Sweet Soul", it could be "King Soul", "Soul Meeting", something with soul anyways, he must have like 10 albums with that word in the title (& his face on the cover), I'll have a look when I get home tonight & write the actual title if I remember, confusing as hell.

Just looked, it was actually "Soul Meeting" inside the "Soul Battle" sleeve, pretty close.