Electric Light Orchestra

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
yay or nay?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    the biggest yay

people derided Jeff Lynne for the longest time for being a Beatles copyist; the hair, the shades, the uncool persona all added to that derision. It didn't help that the band were hit-prolific during the punk/diy era.
    And now, via 'Guilty Pleasures' type moves, ELO are arch-ironically hip again.
    For me they never went away. Just great pop songs.
    Mr Blue Sky was the soundtrack to my skateboarding youth - and now sounds like a mini-opera. Up there with Heroes and Villains, Bo Rap etc etc IMO.
    And an ELO 'Best Of' is surely one of the most necessary purchases to make.

Don Arden had a great take on Lynne; he hated going abroad, liked nothing better than going out for a local curry with his wife, swore like a trooper. But put a pen and a guitar at his disposal and you got magic.

But Travelling Wilburys?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My girlfriend introduced me to their back catalogue when we first started dating and it's music will always be part of the soundtrack to our first days of courting so for that alone it has to be a Yay.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Yay. When I was 8, Mr Blue Sky was what I wanted all pop music to sound like. And to a great extent, I still do.

Living Thing, Don't Bring Me Down, Last Train to London, etc etc - brilliant.

Its also easy to draw Jeff Lynne, which is a bonus.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    SAMPLES YO

How Jeff would look after botox, natural greying...and a sex change

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    A friend of mine ended up doing keys for them on a gig in Blackpool a while back. I think I could have had the bass gig too if I'd have been more bothered. I like their catalogue but had something else on at the time.

Anyway he did the gig and said they were the funniest gang he's hooked up with for a long time. They are all minted anyway, and just doing it for fun, which should be the way.

I can always remember drawing T.I.E. fighters in my Star Wars??? notebook in 1977 with them on the radio in the background. Mike O'Garra was so clowned for articulating his view that "T.I.E" stood for "The Imperial Empire"...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    NAY[/b]

• SupacatSupacat 46 Posts
    ELO have beats -> Jungle Brothers "Because I Got It Like That (Ultimatum Rekonstrukcion)" 12" from 1990 -> Stereo MCs used "Dont Bring Me Down" for it

ELO have beats -> Jungle Brothers "Because I Got It Like That (Ultimatum Rekonstrukcion)" 12" from 1990 -> Stereo MCs used "Dont Bring Me Down" for it

However, "Don't Bring Me Down" was one of their very worst songs IMHO.
    Lynne had begun to parody himself by this time, and was adding nonsense to records just because the public expected it. From the sublime to the ridiculous via the ludicrous.
    "Grooooosssss"????
    Are you fkkking sure, Jeff?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yay. And even Jeff Lynne admits that "It took a long time for me to get that cello out of my arse" (no pasue)

Mr Blue Sky = surely one of the greatest feel-good songs of all time

• for some reason i like telephone line otherwise nay

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yay!

This guys have talent and they put on a good visual stage show.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    for some reason i like "roll over beethoven" but apart from that, im stickin' with the move