which 1981 album holds up better?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• The Police have a greatest hits album and that's all you'd ever want -- if that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Police have a greatest hits album and that's all you'd ever want -- if that.

I got Controversy

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Police have a greatest hits album and that's all you'd ever want -- if that.

Yeah, this makes no sense. They have at least 3 good albums and
    a greatest hits just gives you all the overkill without the depth.

• Last time I saw this record, the store had put a sticker on the front saying "FIRST PRINCE ALBUM".

I wanted to add an additional sticker of info that would make it correct, like, "WHERE HE USES THE LINN LM-1 DRUM MACHINE"

• To answer the original question, I'd say both of those albums sound dated.

I never got into The Police beyond their singles, and I've tried.

To answer the original question, I'd say both of those albums sound dated.

I never got into The Police beyond their singles, and I've tried.

Controversy has Do Me Baby which is incredible.
    Covered by Me'Lisa Morgan & Chaka Khan.

Ghost has 3 hits

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

Yeah, this makes no sense. They have at least 3 good albums and
    a greatest hits just gives you all the overkill without the depth.

- exactly what I was thinking.

I think both sound dated, but both artists sounds are signposts (albeit in different genres) for that era anyway. It's funny to me that some people will say "that's a really 60's/70's/80's sound" because it's a chicken and egg scenario. If a Prince sound gets copied in the 80's does it cease to be his sound?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    stewart rules

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Two faves of mine from 1981:[/b]

Heh - never saw it with that cover. I have the more conventional red and yellow cover still seen today.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Ghost In The Machine[/b] still holds up, and even though almost every song on Side 1 was a hit and/or made into a video, I definitely go for Side 2 with "Ωmegaman", "Rehumanize Yourself", "One World (Not Three)" and of course "Secret Journey".

Controversy[/b] holds up fairly well, especially out of the first four, but I'd have to go for The Police on this one.

3-3=absolutely nothing

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That Police record is the first rcord I ever bought with my own $$ - - Invisible Sun is a song that I will never tire of. But I'm going with the Prince LP. Still listen to the Prince,but only pull out the Police now and then for that one track.

Also, Sting has become the biggest cheesball this side of non-tantric activities that it's hard to hear his voice without being reminded of the barrels of crap he has unleashed on the world in the past decade or so.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That Police record is the first rcord I ever bought with my own $$ - - Invisible Sun is a song that I will never tire of. But I'm going with the Prince LP. Still listen to the Prince,but only pull out the Police now and then for that one track.

Also, Sting has become the biggest cheesball this side of non-tantric activities that it's hard to hear his voice without being reminded of the barrels of crap he has unleashed on the world in the past decade or so.

Yeah, Sting on his own has been about cheese. But hey, Stewart Copeland did give us the theme to "The Amanda Show":
    http://www.nick.com/amandaplease/

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Albums I regularly listened to in 1981:

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    were you guys actually listening to this stuff in 81? i mean, i know some of you dudes are old, but a lot of youz are around my age which would make you like 5 or 6 in 81.

anyways, i bought my first 45 in 81. joe dolce shaddup you face. what can i say, i was a huge fan of the dr. demento show. oh and did pacman fever come out this year? i also remember buying that 45 and thinking i was hot shit.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Sting cheese.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    were you guys actually listening to this stuff in 81? i mean, i know some of you dudes are old, but a lot of youz are around my age which would make you like 5 or 6 in 81.

1981 was my freshman year in college. I wish I could say I was into ESG and PIL but what was in heavy rotation on my stereo were these:

and lots of tapes labeled like so:

3/2/69 Fillmore West F:An A+ 387
    2/1/69 Unknown F:An A+ 388
    6/7/77 Winterland F:An A+ 389
    4/12/70 Fillmore West F:An A+ 390
    Old & In The Way F:An A+ 391
    12/5/79 Uptown Theatre Chicago F:D A+ 392

Within a year though it was The Replacements, Husker Du, the Meat Puppets, Mission of Burma, REM and more.

thats what im talking about! real world moves, not this revisionist doodoo.

Well, that's why we crate-dig, gramps - to pick up on things we either missed, was too young to experience, or wasn't around to see!

Seriously, though, even though I was in high school in the early eighties, I didn't buy the Blasters and Swamp Dogg elpees the moment they came out, but within 3-4 years those two albums became playlist essentials for me.

anyways, i bought my first 45 in 81. joe dolce shaddup you face. what can i say, i was a huge fan of the dr. demento show.

So was I - that's why I have so many damned Cheech & Chong albums.

oh and did pacman fever come out this year?

I think so...I remember hearing this on Dr. Demento's show towards the end of '81 and by early '82 the rest of the world was playing it.

i had all my cheech and chong stuff on cassette tape i taped off my one friend from church that was like 4 years older than me. he also had most the richard pryor records and had taped delirious off the tv. i think delirious came out around this time no? man that was a world changing movie for me.

i had all my cheech and chong stuff on cassette tape i taped off my one friend from church that was like 4 years older than me. he also had most the richard pryor records and had taped delirious off the tv. i think delirious came out around this time no? man that was a world changing movie for me.

I think Eddie Murphy's Delirious would have been around '83?

I consciously bought all of the Cheech & Chong LP's on vinyl. Like Led Zep and the Stones, many of C&C's album covers had some weird gimmick that made it worth buying. I still have the same copy of Big Bambu I bought when I was twelve. Even though the spine is split (what do 12-year-olds know about record care?), I still have the bonus rolling paper!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I can say with no revisionism that I was into both of those records as a 12 year old in 1981. Controversy gets way more play from me these days. Other records that I can say with total honesty I was digging:

Treacherous 3 - Heartbeat Rap
    Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel
    Sugarhill Gang - Apache
    Mean Machine - Disco Dream
    Afrika Bambaataa & Jazzy 5 -Jazzy Sensation (Bronx Mix)
    The Human League - Dare!
    Tom Tom Club - ST
    The Go-Go's - Beauty And The Beat

My musical tastes have always been all over the place, thanks Mom for encouraging an open mind.

yeah, i had to get all my comedy stuff dubbed for me cuz there was no way my mom was gon buy me any of that shit. i actually had to steal their copy of delirious and watch it over at my friends house. at summer camp me and ma crew would stay up and listen to all that shit and eat shrimp chips. we all pretty much memorized like 3 cheech and chong albums and the whole delirious movie. by the mid 80s it was all about bebe's kids. we all loved that dude robin harris. oh and i taped hollywood shuffle off the tv. man, i did a lot of taping off the tv come to think of it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Prince, no, not til a few years later when this guy Jason Bell opened my eyes and ears to his Minnesota magic. The Police, yes, because it was on the radio, but I didn't buy the record til a year or so later.

In 81 I was still getting most of my music from the radio save for what the older kids in the building were listening to. Endless Love, Rick James and Tattoo You made the biggest impressions. I remember seeing this rocker chick I totally worshipped from afar (her perfectly feathered hair was a sight to behold and her black eyeliner INSIDE her eyes was so dangerous) with the Stones record in the elevator and the cover just looked to me.

yeah, i had to get all my comedy stuff dubbed for me cuz there was no way my mom was gon buy me any of that shit.

when i entered my dr. demento phase, i was in junior high and just starting to get the sex and dope jokes heard on Saturday Night Live. me being the age i was, my parents just went ahead and let me indulge myself. steve martin was hotter than a pistol right then, and his Let's Get Small LP was a fave of mine. still have that one too, although i probably havent played that one since Reagan was president.

somewhere around the time i entered high school proper, i got off the comedy/novelty jag. i still respected dr. d enuff that i went to an in-store he did in '91 (by which time i was in my early 20s). i had him sign an R&B anthology he compiled (& wrote the liner notes for) on Specialty records, and then got the hell out of there (the place was filled with nerdy, creepy Ghost World collector types).

you didnt happen to see a white kid wearing the carcasses of 100 lobsters there did you?

My favorite Dr. Demento "songs" (besides Shaving Cream of course)
    were "Rock & Roll Doctor" and "Existential Blues" (poppies! poppies! poppies!)

I was 11 in 1981, owned Police albums although my favorite new music
    was by the Cars and J. Geils band, didn't buy the Prince until a few
    years later as a high-school freshman, after this totally hot girl in my
    class brought me home after school and tried to seduce me by playing
    "Do Me Baby" ... I really wish I had known what to do in that situation -
    I didn't lose my virginity, but I did go out and buy the album and wish I had.