Long Duk Dong on NPR yesterday

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    kal penn isn't indian?

new harold and kumar looks like the movie of the year.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I really like Ken Leung - just interviewed him the other day and he seems like a very thoughtful, serious actor. But "Shanghai Kiss" (which you posted a still from) is wacktacular. He's the best thing in it but he's surrounded in shit.

As for all the cool dudes being Korean Am...I hadn't even really thought about it from that p.o.v. Chinese and Japanese Am actors ruled in the '80s and '90s but you've seen a bigger surge amongst KAs in the last few. I don't know if it necessarily means anything. Notably, most of the big AA directors are still Chinese American.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

kal penn isn't indian?

Kal Penn is Indian. Who said he wasn't?

i don't typically hear indian dudes referred to as "asian".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    he was actually kind of a cool guy in a totally goofy way unlike most of the Asian guys I grew up with - myself included - who were totally goofy but not remotely cool.

i can't really think of many "cool guy" characters in recent major films that are played by asian males, other than the guy from harold and kumar.

That's just cause most are never really looking. But there are a bunch... Just don't forget that Asian cinema is huge world wide, which there are TONS of "cool guys". But even in American films, there are dudes that can hold it down in the so called "cool" factor.

We shouldnt have too "LOOK".

Name some "Cool" Asian Brothers since 2000, who arent fighting?

Of course we shouldn't have to look.

As far as fighting goes. It's not hard to point out some great "cool" dudes that don't just fight in all American movies. But fighting in movies is kinda a given in a huge portion of Asian cinema. That's not an American influence. That's at the heart of the culture. So, I don't see why that can't be a big part of films made in the US.

I mean. Don't get me wrong. i'm just going off the top of my head. But there are many.

None as kewl as this dude tho...

Also, I'm not trying to say there are a huge number of Asian actors in american films by any means. Just that there are some great actors out there. Which for the most part, never really get their shine...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i feel kinda sad that i haven't seen this and therefore i cannot share in the asian outrage.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    go the UK and you will.

arent u in Minnesota?

• i don't typically hear indian dudes referred to as "asian".

arent u in Minnesota?

One billion desis can't be wrong.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've never really heard of indians being referred to as asian either

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Never been to the UK, huh?

• i've never really heard of indians being referred to as asian either

HAWAII: THE MINNESOTA OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC.

Indians aka Desis, along with Pakistanis, are commonly referred to as South Asians. Those people make up about one-fifth of the world's population, if the diaspora is included.

Get hip, people.

Indians aka Desis, along with Pakistanis, are commonly referred to as South Asians. Those people make up about one-fifth of the world's population, if the diaspora is included.

Get hip, people.

in fairness, I can see the confusion in calling South Asians Asians. we don't call Central Asians Asians.

well, we call some Central Asians Asian I guess...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    you know, i gotta say movies like these with the stereotypes and such really sharpened my shit talking skills. and i quite liked them because you always knew what someone was gon come at you with.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is it wrong to just to refer to indians as merely indians

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    kal penn isn't indian?

here's a funny story from his wiki

Penn says that he chose the stage name Kal Penn (from Kalpen Suresh Modi) as a lark: ???Almost as a joke to prove friends wrong, and half as an attempt to see if what I was told would work (that anglicized names appeal more to a white-dominated industry), I put ???Kal Penn??? on my resume and photos." His audition callbacks rose by 50%. Penn has stated that he prefers his birth name and uses "Kal Penn" only for professional purposes.

well maybe not that funny, but definetly on some shit....

Get hip, people.

in fairness, I can see the confusion in calling South Asians Asians. we don't call Central Asians Asians.

That's because the US is not the centre of the universe. Outside the US, South Asian is a well known & used term.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Okay, how about we call them "the other asians"?

or we could call them "the other indians"

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    or we could call them "the other indians"

Let's not go down the "feather or dot" road.

Get hip, people.

That's because the US is not the centre of the universe. Outside the US, South Asian is a well known & used term.

huh?

I was talking about calling South Asians simply Asians.

did you read my post?

Get hip, people.

huh?

I was talking about calling South Asians simply Asians.

did you read my post?

Well, it was more geared to the original comment of not knowing the term South Asian.

The best to talk about Asians & South is my man Russell. Who does pretty well talking about stereotypes.

bobby lee is pretty funny. and he's in harold and kumar. whats the dudes name on the old living colors? steve parks was it? something like that. he was alright. but bobby lee is definately funny.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Also, I'm not trying to say there are a huge number of Asian actors in american films by any means. Just that there are some great actors out there. Which for the most part, never really get their shine...

The dude Mako (wizard from Conan) changed the game. RIP.

In the U.S., it's not unusual to lump in South Asians such as Indians and Pakistanis in with the general umbrella term "Asian." That said, the association isn't as close as "Asian" is with people of Chinese, Korean or Japanese descent.

Same deal with Filipinos - their "Asian-ness" is often a matter of individual opinion rather than social convention and both Filipinos and South Asians have legitimate grievances with the Asian American mainstream over how their identities and community issues have often been marginalized. With Asian American political and academic circles, South Asians are "included" but as I just noted, they rarely occupy the center and for that reason, many South Asians don't automatically see any kind of solidarity with East Asians.

That said, I'm almost positive Kal Penn would self-identify as "Asian" in addition to being Indian or desi.

Mako, Victor Wong, James Wong - legends in the game.

And don't forget James Shigeta!

i know ive stated this before but my grandpa was the buddhist priest in sam fuller's "crimson kimono". he even had lines!