music to READ to?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Hey, im look for suggestion for full albums to listen to while reading. i find i can't concentrate on reading if the tempo is too quick and especially if there's any vocals. i want to start reading again and i need some tunage. looking for some tranquile stuff, along the lines of "moon dreams" by miles davis off birth of coolsuggestions? now that i think of it, i tend to read in silence(web browsing/magazines dont count), yet every other task in my life involves music.

Comments

• boards of canada?

• Surf music!

And Buffalo Bop rock instrumentals.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Instrumentals or music in a language you don't understand. Jazz or dub works best for me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Silence is golden when it comes to reading.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    KPM 1045 Reading Music

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    since all the suggestions thus far haven't been to helpful, i took the liberty of joining the mlp forum and they suggested reading "beyond a pale horse" to the theme of "my little pony"

music in a language you don't understand.

this has done wonders

• John Fahey!

• boards of canada?

yeah, them and tortoise.

fahey wasn't a bad call either in some cases.

John Fahey!

no idea who this was till i youtubed it. thanks, this is along the lines what im looking for! flamenco like stuff on a slower tempo would be good as well.

never checked out boards of canada, i guess its cause im bored of canada, but i'l check it!

batmon, i never checked out eno before, i'l look into that.

oh one thing i just remembered is one day i soulseeked some nature sounds, and a sound file of a rainfall with thunder now and then was a great thing to have playing in the background

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

SERIOUSLY. Don't let the name/cover fool you, this is really nice dark instrumental almost lounge music.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was just reading a ton of boring ass manuals on projectors and listening to Teddy Rok Seven.

Was nice

• SERIOUSLY. Don't let the name/cover fool you, this is really nice dark instrumental almost lounge music.

This is also a really good suggestion.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

SERIOUSLY. Don't let the name/cover fool you, this is really nice dark instrumental almost lounge music.

This is also a really good suggestion.

I have been listening to this album all winter on my ipod.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    What about Cinematic Orchestra? My favorite albums is "Every Day". Some of their stuff has vocals though.

what's the name of this album, i have trouble reading it?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ^^^ It's called Selected Ambient Works Vol II (aphex twin)
    It's pretty good and had some dark, scary parts that I would advise against.
    Track 3, CD 1 will always be golden in my books.

I wrote almost all my university papers and shit to Vladislav Delay's "Entain" album...IMO, beautiful finnish minimalism that is quietly moving but not unsettling.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    classical music all day

great call, tried this out

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Vladislav Delay's "Entain"

This, Multila, Anima. A lot of the Chain Reaction stuff works here. SND should also be non-intrusive enough for you to read to.