Popeye's Founder Al Copeland Dead at 64

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Seems Strut appropriate.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm pleased to begin the cavalcade of well-wishes to the family.

Massive stroke or coronary brought on by heart disease, right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, Popeye's was an institutuion in New Orleans when I was a kid. And not just for their tasty food...but because on Saturday mornings they'd host a studio full of kids, feed them Popeye's chicken, and run as many Popeye's cartoons that they could squeeze into an hour-long broadcast.

ROLL EM!!!

• I still remember when Port Arthur got its first Popeye's. It was a really big deal; prior to that, we were a Church's Chicken family. We never looked back.

Rest in peace, Al.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    didn't have these in the northwest, but i've come to appreciate since moving to the mid-west. the man made a tasty wing.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    did they really have dr. john do the jingle? i just noticed that.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Man, Popeye's was an institutuion in New Orleans when I was a kid. And not just for their tasty food...but because on Saturday mornings they'd host a studio full of kids, feed them Popeye's chicken, and run as many Popeye's cartoons that they could squeeze into an hour-long broadcast.

ROLL EM!!!
    Wow. I didn't know Popeyes did it like that with kids in a stuido and ran cartoons back in the day. As for POPeyes, growing up all we had in my little town was KFC & Bojangles.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    rest in pieces.

(6 or 12).

poor taste? sorry. I love Popeye's chicken though. RIP to the man.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

No, he died of a rare cancer (he had a malignancy on his salivary glands). He may have been a smoker or dipper, though.

When I saw the headline, I did wonder if his family once owned members of mine; we share a last name and parts of my family hail from Louisiana. I should ask my cousin who found me on Facebook and harasses me with genealogical questions.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I wonder if they'll bury a separate, smaller coffin next to him, and if so, what will be in it?
    [color:white] Poor taste? Probably. Don't care. [/color]

I wonder if they'll bury a separate, smaller coffin next to him, and if so, what will be in it?

Fried okra.

No, he died of a rare cancer (he had a malignancy on his salivary glands). He may have been a smoker or dipper, though.

When I saw the headline, I did wonder if his family once owned members of mine; we share a last name and parts of my family hail from Louisiana. I should ask my cousin who found me on Facebook and harasses me with genealogical questions.

Copeland is the last name of Devin the Dude as well, although he's originally from Florida.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I still remember when Port Arthur got its first Popeye's. It was a really big deal; prior to that, we were a Church's Chicken family. We never looked back.

Rest in peace, Al.

That spot is one block from my grandparents house. Memories of red beans & rise with biscuits.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Fried okra.

I'm thinking the biggest jalapeno in the history of mankind. But mashed potatoes would be a good choice too.

Or am I...

• This should probably go in the side orders thread, but back in the day, at Popeye'ses in Louisiana, they had some of the best onion rings you could get. Flaky and delicious. College buddy and I would get a big order and proceed to have "an onion ring draft".

Fried okra.

I'm thinking the biggest jalapeno in the history of mankind. But mashed potatoes would be a good choice too.

Or am I...

Plaese to stop the blatant disrepect.

It goes 1. fried okra, 2. dirty rice, 3. red beans and rice, and 4. onion rings.

Anything else, you can get elsewhere.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    prior to that, we were a Church's Chicken family.

Hope your sperm count has remained unscathed.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I was dining in at a Popeye's recently and heard The Meters playing on the little speakers overhead. Unless that was just in my head. I thought I heard Jolie Blonde too.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

the devil planted fear inside the black babies fifty cent sodas in the hood they goin crazy

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

A few years back I was in Destin, Florida and was going out for a day of fishing. On the dock there was this beautiful boat with two beautiful bikini clad babes laying out......Fishing Captain said it was "Copeland, the guy who owns Popeyes" boat.

I think this was after he had sold the chain. He still ran the Copeland's restaurant chain though. Maybe the low sperm count came in handy??

• I was dining in at a Popeye's recently and heard The Meters playing on the little speakers overhead. Unless that was just in my head. I thought I heard Jolie Blonde too.

I thought that read as "I was deejaying at a Popeye's"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I once ate at the Popeye's near Canal and Chartres five days in a row before going in to work at K-Paul's. I often stop at the one in Vallejo on my way to Berkeley. Also, when driving to my mom's house, there is a gas station Popeye's in Dixon that is exactly halfway there. I stop in nearly every time.

Had fried chicken at Ad Hoc one time, and it wasn't as good as Popeye's. In short, Popeye's is my standard for good fried chicken.