Traveling Overseas - Yay or Nay

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Maybe Im gettin old. The plane ride to Japan sucked majorly. Im about to crash early. Mawfuckin dudes puffing like a chimney up in this cafe.I can never front on the overseas flight attendants though. Kept staring at the one cutie strolling by.So yea, traveling overseas - Yay or Nay?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    TRAVELING = YES
    LONG FLIGHTS AND LAYOVERS = NO

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You're in Japan? What the hell are you doing dicking around on SoulStrut???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kept staring at the one cutie strolling by.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Long flights are never fun, but you have to deal with it to get to all the cool places. Life would be VERY boring if you never left North America. I'm 6'4" 250 LB. and flying overseas in coach class is always a bitch! Business class makes the long flights A LOT easier to deal with. I always buy a coach seat if I'm paying because I don't want to spend all the extra money for Business class. I have flown business class a few times when traveling with my parents. The most comfortable I have ever been on a plane was Business class on Singapore airlines from San Francisco to Hong Kong. 12 hour flight and everything, but Singapore airlines is very nice and the Singapore Airlines honeys are BEAUTIFUL. When I am on overseas flights I get up and walk around a lot, ALWAYS order straight vegetarian meals when I book my tickets. You should never eat meat or seafood in the air. Those meals are sketchy no matter what the airline. I also never drink any alcohol or caffeine. You already get very dehydrated because of the altitude and alcohol and caffeine just make things worse. I just drink lots of water on the flight. Some airports now have decent restaurants and it is a great idea to eat a BIG meal right before you go to get on the flight. Helps you sleep and you don't have to fuck with the plane food. I have had good meals in the Tokyo and Hong Kong airports. I'm going to Seoul and Shanghai on May 3rd and will be taking a direct flight from Seattle to Inchoen. 12 hour flight, but we're flying Asiana Airlines and they do a nice job. Happy travels to all you folls.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    right...
    water is a must. my favorite tip is take your shoes off right away. eases circulation and makes things a lot more comfortable. british airways has good meals. i always ask ahead for the vegetarian option (cardova put me up on asking for indian when given a choice)..you usually get more edible looking things

i do two things on most flights. fall asleep right away.i mean immediately. for 90% of the flight. i tell them right away to leave the meal with me...cause if not i sleep through it.
    the other thing is planes give me gas, so while i sleep, i'm breakin atoms the whole way. but i sleep through while the rest of the cabin eats it. i wake up when we land and try not to make too much eye contact

the other thing is planes give me gas, so while i sleep, i'm breakin atoms the whole way. but i sleep through while the rest of the cabin eats it. i wake up when we land and try not to make too much eye contact

LOL! You are a fool T**Y!!! LOL

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I had my first overseas flight last summer, I think it was close to 11 hours. All I can say is: overseas travel with an aisle seat = yay, overseas travel between two dudes w/ wide stances = fuck nay. Like Tony, I tried to sleep as much as I could to keep from going crazy.

Aisle seat is

When to get to the gate, ALWAYS check at the counter and see if any aisle seats are open in the emergency exit rows. THOSE are the best.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    allabout the leg room
    also...try not to be seated right near a bathroom. someones bound to stink it up.

anyone here in the mile high club?
    i went out with a stewardess ("went out" being a euphamism)who said airplane bathrooms are revolting and that i should pretty much get it through my head that they are coated in piss. she didnt seem the type to exaggerate...maybe she knows more than me. she also told some funny stories of catching people getting in the milehigh. and having some embarassed ass women sulking around the rest of the flight.haha.

• You're in Japan? What the hell are you doing dicking around on SoulStrut???

DON'T KNOCK IT 'TILL YOUSE TRY IT

B/W

THE GAMES LEAVES YOU. YOU DON'T LEAVE THE GAME.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    12 hour flight and everything, but Singapore airlines is very nice and the Singapore Airlines honeys are BEAUTIFUL. When I am on overseas flights I get up and walk around a lot, ALWAYS order straight vegetarian meals when I book my tickets. You should never eat meat or seafood in the air.

Singapore is a really airline. The hostesses are beautiful, and as a woman, I will never understand how they keep their hair and makeup looking so fresh all day.

• More tips is try to be located on the emergency exits - there's a little extra space for the legs and ask if they can put priority stickers on you baggage. I dont know if it helps at all but at least I havent tried not getting my baggage when they put them on.

Travelling is so very very neccesary!

Peace,

Dress

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    i went out with a stewardess ("went out" being a euphamism)who said airplane bathrooms are revolting and that i should pretty much get it through my head that they are coated in piss. she didnt seem the type to exaggerate...

Airplanes are amazingly dirty. When I was working with commercial airlines I would often be testing equipment on planes that were down for a multi-day deep cleaning - pull up the carpet, remove the seat covers, that kind of thing. And the state of the seats under the covers is just about the nastiest thing I have ever seen.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the older i get the more scared of flying i am.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You're in Japan? What the hell are you doing dicking around on SoulStrut???

Gotta handle my accounting test before I chillax. Come on man, you and I both know that Soulstrut is an oasis in the desert.

I came to Japan, and so far, more people and shitty weather. Should be going digging soon. Bout to go scoop up Bobby Caldwell for 3000 yen and shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    the older i get the more scared of flying i am.

Everytime they told me "Please fasten your seatbelt, we are going through turbulent conditions." I thinking in my head, "Bullshit! The terrorists hijacked our plane already and they`re keeping us calm."

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    mang, it's not even terrorists i'm thinkin about. you're floating thousands of feet above the earth in a multi-ton hunk of metal. what the fuck???
    not to mention incorporating the dreams i have of falling.
    it's just not natural. i'd rather hop on a giant bird.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If you can travel with a significant other, the plane ride is a little better as you can raise the arm inbetween you and get a (little) more comfy...lots of water , noise cancelling headphones and lazytime pills help immensely. But I vote YAY, because another country is always a great experience if you are fortunate enough to be able to travel...I have never considered a dollar spent on overseas travel a wasted one...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had 14 roundtrips within Africa the past two years. You're never on time, every single time I had delays between 2-26 hours that's 26 hours not counting the 6 hours travel time, then halfway through your travel, they put you on a bus and cart you all the way to the centre of Abidjan where at the time still was a civil war with military roadblocks and all that. Black mold in the hotel rooms AC and shitty food. Or what about waiting for hours stuck in a plane under aequatorial sun with the AC switched off waiting for delayed passengers from another flight. Plus you always fly in circles. to get from Conakry to Accra, I sometimes have to go to Dakar, Senegal first, then to Abidjan, Ivory Coast and then you arrive in Accra. Look it up on the map, it's ridiculous but there's only one flight company to choose from if you're coming from Conakry, Guinea so what you're going to do? And you guys are bitching about long flights with big airlines? That shit is pure pleasure for me, I just charm myself into getting three or four of those small bottles of wine from the flight attendant, two or three cognacs, then I drop a valium and next thing you know I'm there already. Not having to worry about changing planes, missing connections, cranky and corrupt customs/imigrations. Walk in the park!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    12 hour flight and everything, but Singapore airlines is very nice and the Singapore Airlines honeys are BEAUTIFUL. When I am on overseas flights I get up and walk around a lot, ALWAYS order straight vegetarian meals when I book my tickets. You should never eat meat or seafood in the air.

Singapore is a really airline. The hostesses are beautiful, and as a woman, I will never understand how they keep their hair and makeup looking so fresh all day.

In Asia, the notion of fair employment is thrown out the window for flight attendants generally, not to mention a few other careers. They specifically pick young, single, attractive women for the job. In Japan, a lot of actors/musicians get married with flight attendants.

The best looking attendants I've ever seen were on Korean Air. Not only were they just plain gorgeous, but they did 4 or 5 uniform/costume changes during the flight, even put on the hanbok during meal service, which I'm sure made it very uncomfortable for them.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I love flying, me.

Lost my fear of flying when I was commuting back and to from UK to Ireland every week for over a year. You get used to the late taxis, checking in, delays, queuing and even turbulence - I used to work on flight-sim software so you know what the tolerances are. We have had a few abortive landings in high winds where you see the wing rolling and yawing with 100ft to go but I told the wife not to look out of the window... And crossed my fingers.

I've also been up in several real tin-can, billion-hours-on-the-airframe light aircraft. The best one was a Cessna in Australia, a skydiving bus/air doctor ride from 1957. You know that if the aircraft hasn't fell out of the sky in the last 50 years, it's pretty well made. They strip down to about 3 parts. Plus, I found the 1" gaps of daylight under the doors to be homely.

Worst was on a 80's 12 seater out of Boulder City, to have a butchers at the Big Gash. We got to about 2000 ft up and then the door that covers the nose-cone storage blew off and just missed the wing. Dude took us straight down and offered us a ride in another plane or our money back. We took the ride and it was a proper thermal rollercoaster - But again, I prefer it over a helicopter, because they don't glide too well and I wasn't on a baller trip.

Have been lucky enough to travel to many long haul places. Some good knowledge already been dropped here:

Don't get drunk on the plane - I usually manage this *before* if it's long haul so I can kip.
    Walk around.
    Get an aisle seat.
    Don't do Australia in one stint. That was the worst flight ever. Crashed my car into a tree two days before, suffering from whiplash, then get onto a flight with not enough room to put my knees straight in front of me. 7 hours to Bahrain, 7 hours to Singapore, 7 hours to Sydney with 40 mins in between each stop for walkies. F*cking agony.

On the way back, I couldn't sleep, got drunk, still couldn't sleep so about 25 hours later get into London and have to rent a hire car with a steaming hangover, sleep deprived, and drive 200 miles home. Hallucinating like 25 motherf*ckers.

The worst thing about flying are the other people, trying to queue jump and getting loud and clownish on the plane. The general public are shit no matter where.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ahhhh flying...i fly at least twice a month. last weekend was the best ever. i got completely smiddashed on both flights leaving DC and hit it off with one of the flight attendants. not to mention got the # from a very fine cougar at the bar in Reagan. niiiiiiiiiize!

i've flown across the atlantic multiple times, i've flown across the pacific multiple times. the flights back & forth from London weren't bad, sure they were long, but not unbearable. def flying from Asia was torture.

best airline: Virgin

best way to take away the whole "uggggh" from those 16hr flights: bump 2 pills of lortab in the bathroom after the meal.

In Asia, the notion of fair employment is thrown out the window for flight attendants generally, not to mention a few other careers. They specifically pick young, single, attractive women for the job. In Japan, a lot of actors/musicians get married with flight attendants.

The best looking attendants I've ever seen were on Korean Air. Not only were they just plain gorgeous, but they did 4 or 5 uniform/costume changes during the flight, even put on the hanbok during meal service,[/b] which I'm sure made it very uncomfortable for them.

The multiple uniform changes and the hanbok is official! The female attendants on Asian airlines usually look like fashion models. I've flown on Japan Air Lines, ANA, Thai, Singapore and Cathay Pacific. All of the female attendants were beautiful and extremely nice. I think they all have to quit when they turn 25. Someone told me that there is a swimsuit portion of the interview for Singapore Airlines female attendants. The only exception I can think of was flying on domestic flights in Mainland China in the 80s. I flew on domestic flights in China on the state run CAAC airlines in 1987 and the attendants were scary and mean! LOL. Those flights were not fun. Frightening take offs and landings. Everyone in our group would all clap and hug each other when the plane finally stopped on the run way during the landings. We were glad to be alive!!

I had 14 roundtrips within Africa the past two years. You're never on time, every single time I had delays between 2-26 hours that's 26 hours not counting the 6 hours travel time, then halfway through your travel, they put you on a bus and cart you all the way to the centre of Abidjan where at the time still was a civil war with military roadblocks and all that. Black mold in the hotel rooms AC and shitty food. Or what about waiting for hours stuck in a plane under aequatorial sun with the AC switched off waiting for delayed passengers from another flight. Plus you always fly in circles. to get from Conakry to Accra, I sometimes have to go to Dakar, Senegal first, then to Abidjan, Ivory Coast and then you arrive in Accra. Look it up on the map, it's ridiculous but there's only one flight company to choose from if you're coming from Conakry, Guinea so what you're going to do? And you guys are bitching about long flights with big airlines? That shit is pure pleasure for me, I just charm myself into getting three or four of those small bottles of wine from the flight attendant, two or three cognacs, then I drop a valium and next thing you know I'm there already. Not having to worry about changing planes, missing connections, cranky and corrupt customs/imigrations. Walk in the park!

DAMN Frank! THAT is some crazy airplane travel. I will try not to complain about plane flights anymore. Your stories make the time I sat on a plane on the runway in Osaka for 6 hours during a storm seem like nothing.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Travel tips:

1) 3-5 drinks before you get on the plane. As you go up in elevation after take off, you get drunker. For morning flights, try Beefeaters and grapefruit juice.

2) Valium. Take it after you land and walk around outside in the sun for an hour. It resets your Circadian rhythms and eases jet lag tremendously.

Travel tips:

1) 3-5 drinks before you get on the plane. As you go up in elevation after take off, you get drunker. For morning flights, try Beefeaters and grapefruit juice.

2) Valium. Take it after you land and walk around outside in the sun for an hour. It resets your Circadian rhythms and eases jet lag tremendously.

LOL! Neither of these sound like a good idea.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Circadian rhythms

What, even if it's a place so hot that upon disembarkation, you feel like you've just walked into an oven? I dunno about where you live, but they kind of frown on a foll wandering around the runways for an hour or so before claiming baggage.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    It's worth the hassle in my book. One of the things I come away with after traveling is an appreciation for home, what it is about home that makes me call it that.