Ultimate Collectro "Cribs" Episode

2»

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    giles is like the rich kid on the block that got all the dope toys at xmas that you didn't....and you had to deal with him of you wanted to play coleco vision and shit

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    giles is like the rich kid on the block that got all the dope toys at xmas that you didn't....and you had to deal with him of you wanted to play coleco vision and shit

Word. Dealers are taking him stuff so he never needs to search. I remember going to a dealers home, him showing me the latest raers. Then I spy a pile half-hidden in the corner. So I ask to look at it, and the guy's like no, thats for Gilles except he doesn't know it yet. They'd be giving him raers for nothing just to get the tune broken. Darondo is an example from late 80's that I recall.
    Jealous record envy = yes

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    That's kind of what I thought the collection would look like - assumed that he would just dump anything that didn't have lasting appeal.

He always receives a certain amount of grief on here but I used to go to Bar Rhumba quite a lot back in the day and, while I was always there to dance not to blend spot, it always felt like a smoothly mixed set.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

He can be a bit next-level pretentious at times, and I have seen him crush little dudes in record shops which is NAGL.

Please share a story or two.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jealous record envy = yes

Gilles gets a lot of that. It's partly because of his background; his parents are Swiss and, I understand, quite wealthy, and they supposedly bought him the necessary kit to set up a pirate radio station for his 15th birthday. There's also the story (which I've heard from several people) about how he supposedly scooped Paul Murphy's collection on the cheap when Murphy was in pretty bad shape due to his heroin habit and needed some money quickly. I know a lot of people who thought there was something ethically questionable about that move, although it could just have easily been them getting salty because they didn't have the money to beat Gilles to the punch.

There's no doubt that he loves music, though, and jazz especially. He's done a hell of a lot to broaden the audience for jazz in the UK. I once met him very briefly about twelve years ago through a mutual friend, and I asked him if it was true that Talkin' Loud nearly signed Wayne Shorter. He said it was, and that they'd drawn up the contracts, sent them out and everything, but someone else at one of the Polygram jazz imprints got wind of it, and kicked up a stink about why a "pop" label should be getting finance to sign a major jazz artist. This dude was quite influential, it seems, and the upshot was that the deal was pulled for political reasons.

He can be a bit next-level pretentious at times, and I have seen him crush little dudes in record shops which is NAGL.

Please share a story or two.

He's sitting on the counter at Soul Jazz in Soho.
    Guy brings Baby Face Willette 'Behind the 8 Ball' lp to the counter.
    Gilles sneers a bit.
    Dude pays, then Gilles says 'that one's shit mate, you should have bought Face to Face' so everyone can hear
    him and he and Stuart SJ dude start a little snigger thing going
    Little dude looks blasted on his way out

It sounds a little lame written like that, you had to be there to feel the nasty vibe.

There's other stuff in a similar vein, all add up to a little bit of

oh and he refused to give me an interview once for a mag, which now guarantees that I have a bit of for the lad
    Can never knock his sounds, shows or gigs though....

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Seen dude play numerous times. Sometimes fire, sometimes not what I wanted to hear but it's a lottery dependent on how he assesses the crowd.

Met him a couple of times, just to say thanks for putting so-and-so out, always been pleasant. Shame he clowned that dude in the shop. Why would he need to do that [forgets about 99.99 of all Strut content for a moment]?

Surely, when in person, better to help a dude not waste his money, or at least make him spend more on something else.

You never got that in Decoy in Manchester, even when I was amoeba-size dude. Chadwick would always say "Why do you want that?" and based on what you told him, he'd put you onto the real good stuff.

Seen dude play numerous times. Sometimes fire, sometimes not what I wanted to hear but it's a lottery dependent on how he assesses the crowd.

Met him a couple of times, just to say thanks for putting so-and-so out, always been pleasant. Shame he clowned that dude in the shop. Why would he need to do that [forgets about 99.99 of all Strut content for a moment]?

Surely, when in person, better to help a dude not waste his money, or at least make him spend more on something else.

You never got that in Decoy in Manchester, even when I was amoeba-size dude. Chadwick would always say "Why do you want that?" and based on what you told him, he'd put you onto the real good stuff.

agreed; catch him on a good day and its a nice encounter.
    Shame he's not on this board, we could call him to account.
    His name would be 'nice modal' or 'autumnleavesarefalling' or 'swiss pixie'

OI PETERSON, WE'RE HALF SLAGGING YOU OFF SON
    COME AND DEFEND YOURSELF
    shhhhh.....

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    can we get more videos like this please??