rock music in 2008 thats GOOD!

downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
in response to the last post in the balcklips thread - good NEW bands:Black Mountain - simply awesome new rock that's very rooted in classic style, production, etc. killer spacey/sabbath/moog/riffs yup. i believe the SS'ers already gave this a collective thumbs up.My Morning Jacket - ok, I think they have something new coming out, and while i thought Z was ZZzzzzzzzz, i love It Still Moves from a couple years back. Heavy southern style rock with elements of The Band, minus the corny Skynyrd overtones (but yes to ripping solos)!The Go - whatever there new one was called, awesome TREX/almost Beatles-esque melodic Detroit rock.and I'll ride for the BlackLips again - don't know about their shows; don't care. New album is sorta early Stonesy, garagey fun. How could you like the sonics and all those Nuggets style bands and hate on this? i'm sure there's a bunch more NON dance/indie/metal/electro/crap etc bands that are out there. being in the time we live of virtual overload of music/art, it once again comes down to a good recommendation from a friend and having the patience to sift through the bad in order to find the good. and not everyone's gonna agree on the end result, but such is life.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fallen Leaves
    Forbidden Tigers
    The Big Sleep
    The Hands
    Brian Wilson Shock Treatment
    Daily Void
    The Sword
    Witchcraft

... and Black Lips

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    clutch. not new by any means, but still in 2008.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    More:

Black Hollies
    Sons and Daughters
    Headache City
    Mink Jaguar
    Major Stars
    Brimstone Haul
    Tyvek
    Black Cobra
    CoCo Coma
    Apache
    Cheap Time

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

AMT (not quite "new" but still awesome)

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I have no idea what they're up to at the moment, but i'm eagerly waiting for the next Eagles Of Death Metal album.
    I just got the new Flogging Molly album too, and whilst it's no 'Drunken Lullabies' it's pretty good.

just picked up the LSD Pond (LSD March + Bardo Pond) 2CD on Archive. If you're into epic Ash Ra-like jams then you should check it out.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think I'mma have to wait for 2009 cause most of the names here are zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I will ride for AMT though.

- spidey

i don't know if it counts as "rock" music but this Lamp of the Universe LP has been ROCKing my world lately:

• Tyvek

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

drug rug
    thao nguyen
    cribs
    dr dog
    sleeping states
    phosphorescent
    born ruffians
    throw me the statue

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive been digging both Band Of Horses records, the latest by Dead Meadow, and definitely the Dax Riggs album. that guys got something.

• Band Of Horses

I was going to mention these guys.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    i don't even know any of these bands. i didn't realize there was any good rock left...

i guess there's still hope

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

damn that is some good looking packaging.

Archive always pulls out all the stops with packaging.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

woodenshjips - , they have stepped over the rock into the psych/garage.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    I really like Autolux, they are supposedly putting an album out this year
    Black Mountain and MMJ are cool too, I just haven't listened to them lately

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    More:

Cheap Time

these guys sound promising!

new rock i'm feeling in 08:

black mountain- the future
    blood on the wall- liferz
    born ruffians- red yellow and blue
    vampire weekend
    times new viking- rip it off

in general:

king khan & the shrines
    no age
    jay reatard

reissues:

mission of burma!!!!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Just picked up Dungen's "Tio Bitar" on vinyl and I hardily recommend it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wild Records is a cool rockabilly label from Los Angeles that I've been raving about for the past year, ever since I saw a label showcase at the rockabilly festival in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Norton Records in NY was so impressed that they rereleased one of Wild's albums on vinyl:

This here is a label comp, which I consider one of 2007's best releases ever:

Other good Wild releases: CD's by Santos as well as Dusty Chance & the Allnighters.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Wild Records is a cool rockabilly label from Los Angeles that I've been raving about for the past year, ever since I saw a label showcase at the rockabilly festival in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Norton Records in NY was so impressed that they rereleased one of Wild's albums on vinyl:

Other good Wild releases: CD's by Santos as well as Dusty Chance & the Allnighters.

Sounds like something I would be into. I'll have to check it out.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Sounds like something I would be into. I'll have to check it out.

You really should: http://www.wildpresents.com/. What I like about the Wild stable is that the acts don't sound prim, proper and poppish like so many neo-rockabillies do today...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    BATTLES
    Ungdomskulen (their manager is a strutter)
    Health
    Clipt Beaks
    Black Moth Super Rainbow (is that rock?)
    BATTLES
    The Mae Shi
    BATTLES

i cant front- very unique album!

• contemporary rock(ish) stuff i've been bumping lately:

king khan & the shrines

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    i still ride for DESTROYER.

the new one, "trouble in dreams" may not be quite as solid as "destroyer's rubies," but i still think it's more inventive than anything else new i hear.