Muse Records

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
This label kept it going strong especially from the mid to late 70's into the mid 80's on the american jazz and fusion front but unfortunately they get very little respect. few muse records are "sought after" (with perhaps the exception of a couple of the carlos garnetts or the catalysts) and i get the impression that alot of collectros kind of consider it like a slightly less tacky version of cti/kudu (possibly because of their ready availability?). nevertheless, i am constantly amazed by the depth of the muse catalog and the sheer amount of quality music they put out. SO: what is your favourite muse lp; or alternatively why does this label have such a poor reputation?i would ride for these ones in particular:woody shaw-moontranedavid mathews big band-live at the 5 spotmark murphy-bridging a gaplinc chamberlain-a place withinsteve kuhn-raindropspat martino-consciousnesscatalyst-unitywalter bishop-soul villagecarlos garnett-let this melody ring onbuster williams-pinnacle

Comments

• good topic, but try doing a search: this pops up every 7-8 months

• ugg- should a thunk of that...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I've always thought that Eastern Rebellion I-III by Cedar Walton were nice and somewhat underappreciated. They're on Timeless Muse, though, which I think is a sublabel of Muse.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Muse records are hard to find down south. I see a few but really aren't worth buying.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i really like night of the mark 7 by clifford jordan. other than that, yeah, im not much of a fan.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was on a Muse kick for a while and tracked down a lot of their Soul-Jazz releases. Having listened back to a lot of them though, they're not that much different from their contemporaries.

That being said, William Buster's Pinnacle album is the best of them all becuase of one song, The Hump!

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review.php?item_id=664

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The Kenny Barron lps on Muse are solid.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this pops up every 7-8 months

.. and as usual, I'll ride for this:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

cosign. the on with dawn in the title =

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

cosign. the on with dawn in the title =

peruvian dawn. solid, yes.
    yo where u at? gonna be in stuttgart next week. PM.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    My fav Muse record is Dave Pike - Times Out Of Mind with special guest Kenny Burrell recorded in 1975. Anybody else like this one?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    This one's got a nice version of "Feel Like Making Love", as well as a cover pic to add to your record pron collection:

• this pops up every 7-8 months

.. and as usual, I'll ride for this:

Me too. Thats one of 3 Muse titles Ive found.

Sold the Catalyst, wasn't to impressed.
    Still have the Carlos Garnett 'Enlightenment', or something. Its okay.

• Options
    Sold the Catalyst, wasn't to impressed.

Really!? A Tear To A Smile is one of my favorite records.

Anyone Up on Walt Barr East Winds? I like that one too.

• Sold the Catalyst, wasn't to impressed.

Really!? A Tear To A Smile is one of my favorite records.

Naw, Perception. Haven't heard ATTOS.