Black Lips unappreciation post

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
they just played at the shop...good god what a shitty band...this fake ass hipster punk shit drives me up the wall. What do people see in this band? Seriously straight up doo doo...

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    does it make me cool if ive never heard of this band?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I always confuse the Black Lips with the Black Keys (the Keys are a duo, right?), but they both sound shitty to me.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Black Eyes are cool though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Funny, the only album I have by them is a live one,
    and I like it, alot. Makes me want to see them live
    but I have a feeling the crowd would bum me out.

What was so bad about them? What's a fake-ass hipster punk?

Is that like a poseur?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Funny, the only album I have by them is a live one,
    and I like it, alot. Makes me want to see them live
    but I have a feeling the crowd would bum me out.

What was so bad about them? What's a fake-ass hipster punk?

Is that like a poseur?

What was so bad about them? They're sloppy, their songs suck, they dont rock..they dont do anything...they are supposed to be this "great live punk band"(greatest according to Rolling Stone) but it aint punk...its ironic mustache punk rock...lame.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I always confuse the Black Lips with the Black Keys (the Keys are a duo, right?), but they both sound shitty to me.

I ride for the keys, but not the lips.

by FAR my favorite version of this song.

They're sloppy, their songs suck, they dont rock..they dont do anything...

Yeah, I hate the Germs, too

Has anyone heard the tapes of the Black Lips backing Hannibal at his comeback show? They should have their thumbs broken for Frickin' up such classics like Jerkin the Dog...they had no business playing with that man.

Ok rant over...I am old and bitter and sad that this shit is considered great rock music in this day and age...

after the show I had to play Scorpions "Virgin Killer" through the system to cleanse it...

• A good friend of mine rooked me into seeing the Black Lips a few weeks ago, I had never heard them before. He swore up and down they were sweet.

Quintron opened up and threw down so I figured if these guys can follow Quintron every night on tour, they gotta rock.

Pffffffffft!

They blew. I mean, maybe if I had no real knowledge of music past or present I would think they were pretty good, but in a full musical spectrum they're really lame. Almost like a pop-punk Headcoats with terrible lyrics and hipster fashion sense. And big deal, your bass player's got a grill, booooooring. I also in my life have never witnessed as many awkward looking mustaches on kids. The crowd was full of them. Full of them.

MCF

at least the Germs were dangerous back in '80...punk needs danger to be legit, these dudes look like American Apparel poster children...no edge whatsoever...

at least the Germs were dangerous back in '80...punk needs danger to be legit, these dudes look like American Apparel poster children...no edge whatsoever...

Come on, dude - I've never seen them, only heard them,
    maybe I'd be horrified by them too - but like you said,
    you sound pretty old n' bitter ... and I'm pretty sure
    we're around the same age. I don't get alot of shit that
    punks are into now, but I also remember that there were all
    kinds of punk bands when I was on the scene, old, young,
    goofy, violent, political, fratboyish, crusty, straight edge ...
    like I said, my only exposure to them is the live album, but
    I think that's why I'm defending them - hearing without seeing
    can give one a totally different impression of a band. I don't
    know what they're wearing, but the sloppiness sounded pretty
    good to me ... reminded me of Thee Mighty Caesars, in a good way.

Has anyone heard the tapes of the Black Lips backing Hannibal at his comeback show? They should have their thumbs broken for Frickin' up such classics like Jerkin the Dog...they had no business playing with that man.

Ok rant over...I am old and bitter and sad that this shit is considered great rock music in this day and age...

after the show I had to play Scorpions "Virgin Killer" through the system to cleanse it...

Lemme get this straight - just to get the fowl sound of the Black Lips outta your system, you played the SCORPIONS???

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

Lemme get this straight - just to get the fowl sound of the Black Lips outta your system, you played the SCORPIONS???

I aint scared of no classic 70s heavy metal...the system needed some heavyness

I aint scared of no classic 70s heavy metal...

Heh, heh! Well, here's something sick for ya - not only am I a diehard Grand Funk Railroad fan, but not long ago I bought A REUNION ALBUM THEY DID IN 1981 (two original members out of three) and actually enjoyed it! So I shan't be pointing any fingers...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The Black Lips surely suck... saw them by accident at some lame club in Berlin 4 years ago or such. To call them Hipsters would be giving them too much credit. they were just some pretty bland looking, boring kids without any talent, creativity, charisma or what else would make a band worthwhile watching. At the time they were hanging out with a Canadian-indian (Indian as in India not Native American) singer who's or who was "big" in the small and boring scene of Berlin. He engaged them in some kind of contest in pissing into ones own mouth. No, I swear, I'm not making this up. The method was to piss straight up into the air and then catch the stream with your own mouth. This sounds actually more disturbing than it really was. It was rather sad and very pathetic. I guess it was their gimmick at the time. Because the floor and stage was covered in urine, they got kicked out by the only bouncer employed by the club. They made a big scene, acting like they'd want to fight the guy. Those children had their ass kicked out onto the street by one single bouncer. That's really Punk Rock! And now they have mustaches and dress like hipsters? Whatever... maybe they have emploed a manager now who's dressing and bathing them.

God, I'm just glad I'm an old fuck and don't have to go and see all these fake ass bands... it must surely suck to be in your twenties today and go out and see bands you'd like to identify with.

At the time they were hanging out with a Canadian-indian (Indian as in India not Native American) singer who's or who was "big" in the small and boring scene of Berlin.

King Khan? He has talked a lot of people into doing stupid/gross shit...I have to admit, I like his song with the BBQ Show "Shake Real Low"...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    So why book this band to play in your store if u don't like them?

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

Hipsters = daddy's credit card.

not my call...the label called the store and of course the shopowner said yes..its never a bad idea to have a reason for a hundred or so people to come to your store, its good for business..we have bands that I think suck play all the time, but we have had some good ones as well..Charlie Louvin, Tony Joe White, Howard Tate

• Hookup, what do you think of the Compulsive Gamblers?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Hookup, what do you think of the Compulsive Gamblers?

also, what do you think about the Dirtbombs?

Hookup, what do you think of the Compulsive Gamblers?

top shelf...Jack Yarber is one of the great unknowns in rock...his new stuff, Jack Oblivian and the Tennesse Tearjerkers "The Flipside Kid" is on eof the best albums to come out of Memphis in a long while

• Black Eyes are cool though.

Deformative:

• and i thought their last studio album was pretty good for a garagey sound - yeah they might have the mustache crowd n' whathnot, but it's better than the i'm-in-a-garage-band-and-must-dress-act-talk-etc-like-the-Monkeys-crowd.
    and so on.
    ----- DSKONNKTD ???

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i like the black lips
    they're not great musicians but i'm not sure if the emphasis is on precise musicianship when it comes to garage rock
    they've been touring hard for at least 6 years garnering fans around the world like a real band should and everyone i've talked to who has been to a lips show has had a great time
    you may be on to something with the old and bitter claim -

while we're at it i like the sonics, paul revere, and other old garage bands
    also, black keys, kids, mountain, moon, and byrds too

i like the black lips
    they're not great musicians but i'm not sure if the emphasis is on precise musicianship when it comes to garage rock
    they've been touring hard for at least 6 years garnering fans around the world like a real band should and everyone i've talked to who has been to a lips show has had a great time

Is there a new neo-garage band called Mountain? Or do you seriously believe that the guys who did "Mississippi Queen" are garage?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i like the black lips

Is there a new neo-garage band called Mountain? Or do you seriously believe that the guys who did "Mississippi Queen" are garage?

hell yes. mountain rules.
    but no i was talking about black mountain and a bunch of other bands with names that start with 'black'

Frank hit the nail on the head...there is nothing appealing about them..yes I know slop can be decent if there is something behind it, something real...but there is nothing about the Black Lips that is good or interesting

• I DLed one of their albums a few months ago and never listened to it until this thread popped up.

Hook Up is right: They bad.