any vintage mac dudes on here?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
just wondering. i got a LC III the other day for $5 and a friend of mine is hooking me up with an ethernet adaptor, im trying to get AIM and maybe an internet browser to run on it, but i have system 6 running on it and im guessing i probably need to upgrade?IMG src=http://lowendmac.com/lc/maclc.jpg>

Comments

• Why?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    schitt ako that's not even that OG!

I remember when the LC was the new schitt. seriously I remember buggin out at a seeing a color mac.

we got one of these in the basement: the original.

I remember the night pops brought it home.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Why?
    RECORDS? THEY STILL MAKE THOSE THINGS?!?!?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

I remember when the LC was the new schitt. seriously I remember buggin out at a seeing a color mac.

haha, i have 2 OG macs and a mac classic in my parents basement, among many other vintage computers. i just figure the LC III has enough power and runs a recent enough system that i could actually make it into a somewhat-useable everyday computer.

Why?

exactly.

plus old computers give me a good vibe, nothing is more peaceful for me than using a 15-year-old computer. takes me back to my childhood. i wish i could use one for everything, and thats the intent here. if i can get instant messaging and basic internet browsing on it, i'll be set.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

man i still remember the day my school got that...just looked at it in awe. and i still remember thinking mspaint was the coolest application ever

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

man i still remember the day my school got that...just looked at it in awe. and i still remember thinking mspaint was the coolest application ever

I had this. But I can never miss the sound of a dot matrix printer.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This is the first Apple I remember f#%king with in 6th grade.

^^^^^

Ripe for Photoshop.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Can you get into the old sound cards of these? I feel like i've heard of people getting cool blippy sounds outta old computers

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    This is the first Apple I remember f#%king with in 6th grade.

Me too, except the green screen ones.

Ako, have you found a working browser for it yet anywhere? Makes me want to steal my friend's LC and get it going.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

my house had one too growing up and i loved it. got addicted to that paper airplane game "glider" fast and spent too many hours playing it

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I remember when I used to play Carmen Sandiego and Math Blasters on those in grade school as well.

• I remember when I used to play Carmen Sandiego and Math Blasters on those in grade school as well.

Number Munchers.

I remember when I used to play Carmen Sandiego and Math Blasters on those in grade school as well.

Number Munchers.

Oregon Trail.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Can you get into the old sound cards of these? I feel like i've heard of people getting cool blippy sounds outta old computers
    A lot of folks are making music on an atari ST system and an old apple model I can't recall which. Was looking into sound tools, and early cakewalk programs as to clear the monotony of protools distractions. I have plenty of analog effects but I get lazy and use all the same plugins, then get tired of hearing myself set the shit the same way I like it over new things. Thought using those simple programs would help get it focused and end up diversifying things.

I dunno what kind of sounds ala bleeps sweeps and creeps but I imagine theres plenty to be had ala amiga, c64. A friend built a midi nes w/ all nintendo kung fu sounds so it has been distracting and the interest has subsided.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    While we're on the subject of Macs, I'm wondering if someone can answer a quick question for me.

Drives larger than 128 GB are not supported on my G4. With that said, I'm wondering if it is indeed true that I can add hard drives that are larger than 128 GB as long as get a PCI card for it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

man i still remember the day my school got that...just looked at it in awe. and i still remember thinking mspaint Hypercard[/b] was the coolest application ever

A lot of folks are making music on an atari ST system and an old apple model I can't recall which.

i have an atari ST1040. it has midi in/out. im using it in this picture:

IMG src=http://b3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01321/39/04/1321414093_l.jpg>

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The 1040 is dope. I can't imagine using it today though - seems like the software would be too primitive.

I'm sure there are folks out there developing stuff for it though...

The graphics on that thing were really advanced. I still have a lot of cool game for it although I'm not sure I still have the machine. Berkeley - where people buy Macs Ataris instead of IBMs.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Why?

exactly.

plus old computers give me a good vibe, nothing is more peaceful for me than using a 15-year-old computer. takes me back to my childhood. i wish i could use one for everything, and thats the intent here. if i can get instant messaging and basic internet browsing on it, i'll be set.

even if you find a working browser and aim , this shit will be nightmarishly slow and tough to work with.

if you like those two things though it might be a great option.

The 1040 is dope. I can't imagine using it today though - seems like the software would be too primitive.

its really not that bad. i have a composing program on it that runs great but its far from intuitive...

Why?

exactly.

even if you find a working browser and aim , this shit will be nightmarishly slow and tough to work with.

if you like those two things though it might be a great option.

but dude, i have 16mb of ram!!!

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    A lot of folks are making music on an atari ST system and an old apple model I can't recall which.

ako thats awesome- stompboxes too! how is the st sequencing program? Is that what you use it for/with?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I still have my Apple IIc in VG+. Ive held on to my floppies as well.

Karateka
    DJ.Vs Larry Bird
    Lemonade
    Hardball

crazy hours of fun. I still set it up once in a while.

ako thats awesome- stompboxes too! how is the st sequencing program? Is that what you use it for/with?

im sure there were plenty of sequencing programs developed for it. the one i have is sheet-music based and its not GREAT but you could definitely do a lot with it. only problem is im limited to 5-note polyphony (i think, maybe 4) so that kinda blows. i guarantee there are better programs for it.

i dont really USE it for much but just messing around, but yeah thats the only thing i use it for, the sequencing program.

I still have my Apple IIc in VG+. Ive held on to my floppies as well.

Karateka
    DJ.Vs Larry Bird
    Lemonade
    Hardball

crazy hours of fun. I still set it up once in a while.

im jealous. when i was younger (but still thrifting a lot) i found one of these with the monitor stand and everything, but it was back when thrift stores still thought these were usable computers and it was too expensive for me...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i appreciate the vintage appeal but when it comes to computers, i'll stick with the new shit
    if we're talking about apple gear though this is quite ill

• The 1040 is dope. I can't imagine using it today though - seems like the software would be too primitive.

I'm sure there are folks out there developing stuff for it though...

The graphics on that thing were really advanced. I still have a lot of cool game for it although I'm not sure I still have the machine. Berkeley - where people buy Macs Ataris instead of IBMs.

don't sleep an atari ST1040e and Cubase is a beast. The midi timings on that thing are top notch. an atari, cubase and a sampler is a good combination.

I know this won't mean much but a lot of dope drum n bass records up to early mid 90's were made on that combination. atari, cubase and an emu or akai sampler.

but honestly if you have some money you really can do much more with a laptop and dope soundcard but for those who are nostalgic and want to make music that way it can be done. I mean we all know its not really the gear its the person.

I used to get all these old as computers and make them work then I realized it was a huge waist of money and they were just cluttering up my space. The one machine I regret getting rid of was my NeXT pizza slab.

The one machine I regret getting rid of was my NeXT pizza slab.

that just so happens to be the one machine i regret not buying when i had the chance.