RECORDS USED AS IRONIC DECORATION IN STORES

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
You ever walk past a used store or a "hip" boutique or some jock bar where they have records on the wall? And right next to some Outfield 45 that used to belong to the owner's little sister is some raer or semi-raer rekkid that somehow got stashed in the same display? If you want it that bad and know you're not going to see it elsewhere, do you try to get it for yourself?Couple times it happened with me:- bought an obscure Del-Vikings 45 at a record store that was previously used as window decoration along w/a bunch of other stuff...they charged me a $1 for it- scored the first Magnificent Men album from some hipster clothing/record store for $0.00...guy had the cover in his store window as a goof...the record wasn't in the best shape (although it played fine) and I was friends with the owner, so he just gave it to me...So if you strolled past the window of Macy's and saw a pseudo-70's window decoration that featured the Boscoe album cover sandwiched between LP's by Firefall and the Little River Band, tell your story!!!

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    At that one record store in houston (wax trax?) above listening station they have decoration records on the wall, one of em being a 45 on Judnell (not a big title, but still) and behind it one on Ovide... the pre-label design, oldschool ovide though... it's probably 1,000 Wonders with the judnell 45 glued to it

of:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A few years back at one of the Half Price stores way out in the suburb of Frisco they decorated their racks with 45's that they had purposely broken in half.

Over the 5-6 years I've been going to this store I have never found a 45 worth buying.

But the day I walked in and saw their new decorating scheme I got sick.

Of the 20 or so broken 45's were an unbelievely rare local 45 by Don Eee titled "Stop At The Hop" and a red vinyl copy of the Eagleaires on the JOB label.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I've got a bunch of 7"s on my walls and ceiling and some are pretty rare. Believe me though all the raers were VG--- or worse before they got stuck or nailed. I do have three Vogue picture discs in good shape that I use as decoration much to some collectors' horror.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Do county fairs still have those booths where you try to smash records by throwing a ball at it?

I get the feeling that couldn't happen today, 'cause record collecting has only gotten bigger in the last twenty years, and there's always gonna be the ONE guy in the crowd who's gonna try to look thru the stack, see if there's anything worth saving.

I've got a bunch of 7"s on my walls and ceiling and some are pretty rare. Believe me though all the raers were VG--- or worse before they got stuck or nailed. I do have three Vogue picture discs in good shape that I use as decoration much to some collectors' horror.

I used to have a 45 of "Walk On With The Duke" by the Duke Of Earl (Gene Chandler) on my cubicle wall at my last job, but only because it was warped and the Vee Jay rainbow logo is a work of art anyway. But if that thing was even half-playable, it would have remained at home in my collection, believe me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    A popular thing in University residences is to make a door sign out of Lp's. Write your name in silver pen on an lp & duct tape it to your door. I freak out on two fronts when I see that - one, wasting a perfectly good record; two, you're ruining the finish on your door! Duct tape fucks schitt up!!

A popular thing in University residences is to make a door sign out of Lp's. Write your name in silver pen on an lp & duct tape it to your door. I freak out on two fronts when I see that - one, wasting a perfectly good record; two, you're ruining the finish on your door! Duct tape fucks schitt up!!

sure hope you didnt see that rock & roll art exhibit that the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago had a while back...one whole room had sleeveless vinyl LP's on the floor. i didnt see anything insanely rare, but i could see how the idea of people walking all over records would make a vinyl junkie scream.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duct tape fucks schitt up!!

How about electrical tape?

• Options
    Skippy Whites in Cambridge,MA. had a 3 feet High and Rising Gold Record Plaque for sales that Ive tried to buy like 4 times. Skip has laughed at me 3 out of 4 times, the fourth has was getting pissed.

I need that shit though!

Skippy Whites in Cambridge,MA. had a 3 feet High and Rising Gold Record Plaque for sales that Ive tried to buy like 4 times. Skip has laughed at me 3 out of 4 times, the fourth has was getting pissed.

I need that shit though!

But I'm assuming that gold record was presented TO HIM, right? Considering that his store is reportedly a big rap outlet, I can understand why he'd either laugh or get pissed when you offered to buy it. That gold record was likely on the wall for a reason, not as a goof.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Pickwick - you forgot your story about the Savage! OST.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Do county fairs still have those booths where you try to smash records by throwing a ball at it?

I get the feeling that couldn't happen today, 'cause record collecting has only gotten bigger in the last twenty years, and there's always gonna be the ONE guy in the crowd who's gonna try to look thru the stack, see if there's anything worth saving.

Pickwick - you forgot your story about the Savage! OST.

Ah, yes - one defunct rekkid sto' had the Savage! soundtrack up on the wall, along with these other kitschy elpee covers...I caught 'em off guard when I asked how much was it. Two dollars, they said. SOLD!

Good thing the manager wasn't there, 'cause I came back the next week asking about that Roosevelt Franklin album upside the wall, and the manager guy tells me, in a businesslike tone of voice, that those albums weren't for sale. Too bad, 'cause what was on the wall looked a helluva lot more interesting than what was on the floor.

• Options

I need that shit though!

But I'm assuming that gold record was presented TO HIM, right? Considering that his store is reportedly a big rap outlet, I can understand why he'd either laugh or get pissed when you offered to buy it. That gold record was likely on the wall for a reason, not as a goof.

Yeah totally, I was the only goof here.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I need that shit though!

skippy white can hardly bear to part w/ average soul 45's, you think he's going to sell you a gold record?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Where is your shop?? Looks great.

• Options

I need that shit though!

skippy white can hardly bear to part w/ average soul 45's, you think he's going to sell you a gold record?

Hah! Very True!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the mega-chain store in town with a used vinyl section decorates with 45s, hot glued to the bins...good shit also, tons of Designer titles, Barbara and the Browns on XL, Binghampton Blues Boys on XL(this one made me cry, I tried to pry it off the bin, but it snapped), Tommy Burke and the Counts on Nat...the guy who runs the vinyl department is of the "Thats a real zipper on that stones LP!" school of record dealers...doesnt know shit, but as we know thats a good thing(Pepople Hold on, Silver Apples and the like for 99 cents)

the mega-chain store in town with a used vinyl section decorates with 45s, hot glued to the bins...good shit also, tons of Designer titles, Barbara and the Browns on XL, Binghampton Blues Boys on XL(this one made me cry, I tried to pry it off the bin, but it snapped), Tommy Burke and the Counts on Nat...

I remember once hanging out in some jock bar (wasn't my choice, I was with some friends who were with THEIR friends) where it was the same deal, 45's on the wall for decoration...one of them happened to be some semi-rare minor hit from the '60s that doesn't pop up everyday (either "Work Out" by Ricky Dee or "Mojo Workout" by Larry Bright, I forget which). Since the place was pretty well-lit, I figured I wouldn't get away with prying one single off the wall, so I gingerly asked one of the bouncers if I could do so. "Nah, can't let you do that," he replied. "If you take a record off the wall, then others will probably want to do it too." Yeah, like these Chads and Beckys own turntables?

the guy who runs the vinyl department is of the "Thats a real zipper on that stones LP!" school of record dealers...doesnt know shit, but as we know thats a good thing(Pepople Hold on, Silver Apples and the like for 99 cents)

Yeah, I know the type. You don't want to run into those guys at a record convention, 'cause they don't seem to know much about any rock before Sgt. Pepper (and soul? forget it!), their stock isn't that deep, and their idea of "rare" is a bootleg by an obvious classic rock act. But if they're running a store, that's even better, 'cause you'll find some amazing stuff off their radar for $5 or less.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I've got a bunch of 7"s on my walls and ceiling and some are pretty rare. Believe me though all the raers were VG--- or worse before they got stuck or nailed.
    b1I do have three Vogue picture discs in good shape that I use as decoration much to some collectors' horror.
    /b1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm just now noticing this, for some reason...why in the world would you post it on the wall when it's in good shape? Those same horrified collectors would probably take 'em off your hands for good $$$...

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I've got a bunch of 7"s on my walls and ceiling and some are pretty rare. Believe me though all the raers were VG--- or worse before they got stuck or nailed.
    b1I do have three Vogue picture discs in good shape that I use as decoration much to some collectors' horror.
    /b1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I'm just now noticing this, for some reason...why in the world would you post it on the wall when it's in good shape? Those same horrified collectors would probably take 'em off your hands for good $$$...
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Because they are more valuable to me as cool decorations. That said if someone offered me enough I might sell one or two of them (but not all).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121But if they're running a store, that's even better, 'cause you'll find some amazing stuff off their radar for $5 or less.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121...and that's exactly the price I paid for my Gandalf 45. At a record show, though.