Terry Schiavo is gone...

2»

Comments

• Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

I was wondering if any of these Christards actually read the Bible? I mean, not that I agree with the above passage, but just sayin'

They're just like the Republicans. There for something, until they're against it (when it's convenient). The Bible is so full of contradictions anyway, it wouldn't be difficult to justify diamentrically opposed positions with a little work...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Most of all, this case demonstrated that the concept of due process is alive and well in America. Even the Bushes, who are quick to kiss the ass of the Religious Right when it serves them, basically said, "I'm not going against a court order." They, for once, respected the institution of checks and balances that America is supposed to operate on. That's what bolstered Michael's case so well: EVERY JUDGE involved was basically like, "there's nothing to argue about here." I think the Schiavo case was an important affirmation of that...unlike, say, the MJ case which is pure spectacle in the worst way.

Yeah I agree with this. I think this case demonstrates just how long you can litigate even when the law is against you the whole time. Makes it very clear how big companies can push around individuals and smaller companies with the threat of legal action. Respect to Michael Schaivo for sticking it out through the whole thing.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I've been throwing out that Eph 5:23 argument to Christians when discussing this issue. They always come back with "there are a lot of things in the Bible that do not fit the modern world." Now these are devout xtians. I am wondering what is the purpose of religion if you can pick and choose to follow certain parts? Smells pretty secular to me.

That said, if their is a fair/just God/Karma, I pray that Tom Delay gets his for his role in this.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

I was wondering if any of these Christards actually read the Bible? I mean, not that I agree with the above passage, but just sayin'

Are you insinuating that the husband gets to choose if he kills his wife or not? That passage has pretty much nothing to do with this case, plus if you DON'T agree with that statement, can we also throw out the next verse about husbands loving their wives?

Also, have most Christian bashers even READ the Bible enough to understand it, or do they just go off of what a website or someone else tells them without researching it all? Just wondering....

Bible full of contradictions? Show us some that are in the correct context without citing a website.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I've been throwing out that Eph 5:23 argument to Christians when discussing this issue. They always come back with "there are a lot of things in the Bible that do not fit the modern world."

ie."Don't talk to me about being hypocritical! YOU'RE hypocritical and a murderous murderer! Terri-killer! What kind of wold do we live in where the Congress of the United States will stand by and watch one single citizen die?!"

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Are you insinuating that the husband gets to choose if he kills his wife or not? That passage has pretty much nothing to do with this case, plus if you DON'T agree with that statement, can we also throw out the next verse about husbands loving their wives?

Also, have most Christian bashers even READ the Bible enough to understand it, or do they just go off of what a website or someone else tells them without researching it all? Just wondering....

Bible full of contradictions? Show us some that are in the correct context without citing a website.

Allowing her to die is a far cry from killing her, Pac.

I've been throwing out that Eph 5:23 argument to Christians when discussing this issue. They always come back with "there are a lot of things in the Bible that do not fit the modern world." Now these are devout xtians. I am wondering what is the purpose of religion if you can pick and choose to follow certain parts? Smells pretty secular to me.

That's true.......there's a lot of things in the Bible that aren't relevant and most of them are in the Old Testament. Some also forget that there's a 400 year gap between Old and New testament.

Allowing her to die is a far cry from killing her, Pac.

Agreed. Just trying to get a context for that statement.

No. I am not insinuating such nonsense. I am explicitly saying that the husband has the authority to make the decision in this case. Not the parents. Because they gave her to him with what is referred to as marriage. We should protect the sanctity of marriage.

• I've been throwing out that Eph 5:23 argument to Christians when discussing this issue. They always come back with "there are a lot of things in the Bible that do not fit the modern world." Now these are devout xtians. I am wondering what is the purpose of religion if you can pick and choose to follow certain parts? Smells pretty secular to me.

That's true.......there's a lot of things in the Bible that aren't relevant and most of them are in the Old Testament. Some also forget that there's a 400 year gap between Old and New testament.

Yet strangely enough your evengelicals don't seem to make a distinction between the Old and New Testaments, at least in regard to the seriousness of the "knowledge" therein. In fact it's not unusual to see someone temper the merciful message of Jesus Christ with the merciless and wholly primitive directives of the Old Testament.

have most Christian bashers even READ the Bible enough to understand it[?]

Reading is for faggits!

Yet strangely enough your evengelicals don't seem to make a distinction between the Old and New Testaments, at least in regard to the seriousness of the "knowledge" therein. In fact it's not unusual to see someone temper the merciful message of Jesus Christ with the merciless and wholly primitive directives of the Old Testament.

Here is the rub: Like anythng else in this world, Biblical teachings are not an absolute. If they were, there would be no denominations, no 'heretical' teaching, no disagreement. There are as many different ways of interpreting and 'teaching' as there are folks out there calling themselves 'ministers'. I come from a fundamentalist background, and while I do not accept the modern Evangelical viewpoint, I do have immense respect for the teachings of Christ as I know them. IMO, THERE WAS NO GOD IN THIS TERRIBLE SCENARIO. there was vanity, selfishness, immovable stubborness, and pride(in the worst sense), and worst of all, an unbridled lust for authoritative power. The whole scene was shameful, and I am ashamed that those people cast themselves to the world as Christians.

• I've been throwing out that Eph 5:23 argument to Christians when discussing this issue. They always come back with "there are a lot of things in the Bible that do not fit the modern world." Now these are devout xtians. I am wondering what is the purpose of religion if you can pick and choose to follow certain parts? Smells pretty secular to me.

Here is the rub: Like anythng else in this world, Biblical teachings are not an absolute. If they were, there would be no denominations, no 'heretical' teaching, no disagreement. There are as many different ways of interpreting and 'teaching' as there are folks out there calling themselves 'ministers'. I come from a fundamentalist background, and while I do not accept the modern Evangelical viewpoint, I do have immense respect for the teachings of Christ as I know them. IMO, THERE WAS NO GOD IN THIS TERRIBLE SCENARIO. there was vanity, selfishness, immovable stubborness, and pride(in the worst sense), and worst of all, an unbridled lust for authoritative power. The whole scene was shameful, and I am ashamed that those people cast themselves to the world as Christians.[/b]

I suspect (hope) that there are a lot of people out there (real Christians) that feel the same way (my parents included).

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

They're just like the Republicans. There for something, until they're against it (when it's convenient). The Bible is so full of contradictions anyway, it wouldn't be difficult to justify diamentrically opposed positions with a little work...

Christards = Republicans

Yes. Divorce = 50%.

Plus, love is just chemicals in your brain anyway.

No, websites break things down for me so I don't have to think.

Quoting the bible as life rules is like trying to live your life according to Shakespeare.

No. I am not insinuating such nonsense. I am explicitly saying that the husband has the authority to make the decision in this case. Not the parents. Because they gave her to him with what is referred to as marriage. We should protect the sanctity of marriage.

Good argument. If gay people can't get married, then god dammit a husband should be able to let his vegetable wife die.

Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic.

Genesis 2:24 - Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh.

That's a better one for this situation. Couple that with the other passage and there you go.

I understand what the family was trying to do, but they didn't have a say in this case. It wasn't up to them.

Here is the rub: Like anythng else in this world, Biblical teachings are not an absolute. If they were, there would be no denominations, no 'heretical' teaching, no disagreement. There are as many different ways of interpreting and 'teaching' as there are folks out there calling themselves 'ministers'. I come from a fundamentalist background, and while I do not accept the modern Evangelical viewpoint, I do have immense respect for the teachings of Christ as I know them. IMO, THERE WAS NO GOD IN THIS TERRIBLE SCENARIO. there was vanity, selfishness, immovable stubborness, and pride(in the worst sense), and worst of all, an unbridled lust for authoritative power. The whole scene was shameful, and I am ashamed that those people cast themselves to the world as Christians.

Cosigned.

Genesis 33:3 Do you think I???m to blame? Tell me do you think I???m to blame?
    (when they do it) you???re never there. (when they show it) you stop and stare. (abacab) he???s in anywhere.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    O-Dub makes a good point. This topic was totally taken over by the minority opinion. (Not saying that everyone doesn't have a right to speak etc) But this is exactly the kind of thing where religious people freak out and say "Oh the homo agenda is ruining the country and their aren't many of them so why should they be allowed to force their opinions on us" I realize there are a large amount of Bible believers in the country, but it's a small radical side of them that totally takes over in cases like this and Bush is one of them.

This contrived culture war keeps our attention from things that have really consequence in our lives.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This contrived culture war keeps our attention from things that have really consequence in our lives.

Damb!!! Make me a bumper sticker cuz it would take me 2 paragraphs to get that out. Nioce!!!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    like trying to live your life according to Shakespeare.
    sounds kinda fun.

Damb!!![/b] Make me a bumper sticker cuz it would take me 2 paragraphs to get that out. Nioce!!!!

MICE TEA... I didn't know that was you.