Chicago radio

oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Chicago peeps, remember Larry Lujack? Or is everybody too young?

Comments

• 2 Young

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    no, but I remember Pinkhouse

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Chicago peeps, remember Larry Lujack? Or is everybody too young?

Yeah, I remember him. Thought he was dreadfully unfunny back in the day ('70s/'80s), but when he resurfaced at a short-lived Chicago AM oldies station ('03-'05), he actually cracked me up a couple of times.

Recommended: his 1975 autobio, Superjock, if you can find it. Whether you're a fan or not, it's a good read.

Did you know that Larry Lujack (& The Streakette Orchestra) had a single on Curtom? "Ballad Of The Mad Streaker," ca. 1974. Only worth playing once, but I'm keeping it just for the novelty of Superjock on Curtis Mayfield's label...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Don't really remember him, but the name rings a bell, much like Dick Biandi (sp).

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Before my time. I'm more interested in someone tapping the archives of Chicagos' former All Folk related radio station. Anyone out there compin' that material?

• I really miss Purvis Spann and WVON.

I really miss Purvis Spann and WVON.

I miss his cable access TV show even more. (Carl Wright, rest in peace...)

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts

Did you know that Larry Lujack (& The Streakette Orchestra) had a single on Curtom? "Ballad Of The Mad Streaker," ca. 1974. Only worth playing once, but I'm keeping it just for the novelty of Superjock on Curtis Mayfield's label...

Yeah, I was wondering if he made a record, as did a lot of big radio jocks. But on Curtom, sweet.

Is that around anywhere?

I don't suppose you recorded any of those off the TV did you?

I would gladly trade you a few of my Pervis Span WVON CD-Rs for a grainy VHS tape of a few of those cable access shows...

• deeseldeesel 61 Posts
    Chicago still has Boolumaster on Power 92, one of the best radio DJs I've ever heard.

I don't suppose you recorded any of those off the TV did you?

I would gladly trade you a few of my Pervis Span WVON CD-Rs for a grainy VHS tape of a few of those cable access shows...

Check your PM's, Terry...

Yeah, I was wondering if he made a record, as did a lot of big radio jocks. But on Curtom, sweet.

Is that around anywhere?

It is not common. The only copy I've ever seen is the one I bought.

However, I don't know if you (still) live in Chicago, but you know that "Animal Stories" bit he used to do on his show? There was an album (maybe two) devoted to that segment, and they turn up in the local record stores pretty often, in the comedy section. (And no, the "Animal Stories" LP's weren't on Curtom, I think WLS, his radio station, pressed these up themselves.)

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    I'm not from the area. Someone asked me the other day if I'd heard of him.

After extensive googlizing, I've discovered airchecks from the 70s. Found the streaker song in a podcast, too.

Say hello to my people next time you're in Dolton!

me, too. i only saw bootleg recordings of the cable access tv shows (2 young) but i still have his old station telly number on my #1 speed dial. i used to call dude up regularly introducing myself over and over. i wonder if he still remembers me.

pervis spann, he's my man

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Chicago still has Boolumaster on Power 92, one of the best radio DJs I've ever heard.

Hells yeah

me, too. i only saw bootleg recordings of the cable access tv shows (2 young)

???? It only stopped production last year! :-)

but i still have his old station telly number on my #1 speed dial. i used to call dude up regularly introducing myself over and over. i wonder if he still remembers me.

pervis spann, he's my man

the first time i met pervis, i asked him jokingly about those "assburgers" that he and carl used to talk about on their show. without batting an eye, he looked at me innocently and said, "ever have any?"

recommended reading: pervis spann's book! he needed a professional writer something awful, as well as a fact-checker, but in a weird kinda way that adds to the appeal.