who rides for Stoner Rock?

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
some of the shit I've been listening to, I know Iron Monkey feels me on these...who else?and this is a dope compilation

Comments

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Some of it...the vocals suck on a lot of it. Acid King is great.

• I'm a little dude int he field, but I loves me some Boris. Caught them on the last tour with Damon & Naomi, and it was pretty awesome. We thought there were problems with the sound mix because Takeshi's vocals weren't really audible, but it turned out that their amps were playing louder than the PA.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Some of it...the vocals suck on a lot of it. Acid King is great.

yeah no shit, you gotta wade through some serious bullshit. Stonerrock.com has an mp3 jukebox feature where you can listen to one song off each album of pretty much every stoner rock band ever. They even have my boys band from here in Albuquerque Black Maria up there, I can't even find a cd scan for their shit online,

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Stoner rock wasn't a consistent genre in the late-'60s/early-'70s, and as best as I can tell it can still be kinda patchy (depending on the band). But when it's good, it's good.

Newer bands:
    - Atomic Bitchwax
    - Velcro Lewis & his 100-Proof Band
    - that last Melvins album

Back in the day:
    - Dust
    - Blue Cheer
    - Bloodrock
    - Mint Tattoo
    - Love Machine (I just have a solitary single on Mercury; was there an album?)
    - Iota (Memphis hard-rock band; I have a 45 they did on Hi...I think Hook-Up told me that there is a retrospective CD?)
    - Third Power
    - "You, I" by the Rugbys (this single smokes, but the album it came from is a big disappointment)
    - Bar-Kays' Black Rock album (the title is not lying; these guys were making some serious Sabbath moves on this LP, and only the last two songs on side two remind you that this was supposed to be a soul band...if stoner-rock is your thing, don't sleep on this album)

I'd name others, but I don't want to monopolize the thread. I will say that there was a really good compilation of this stuff that came out last year, featuring bands like Power of Zeus and Thunder & Roses...forget the title, but I can get back to you on that if you wanna know...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

- Bar-Kays' Black Rock album (the title is not lying; these guys were making some serious Sabbath moves on this LP, and only the last two songs on side two remind you that this was supposed to be a soul band...if stoner-rock is your thing, don't sleep on this album)

I never heard The Black Rock album.

Can someone breakdown the diff btwn Stoner Rock and Psych?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Back in the day:

- Iota (Memphis hard-rock band; I have a 45 they did on Hi...I think Hook-Up told me that there is a retrospective CD?)

Iota was from El Paso, Tejas but recorded at Hi when the owners of the Suemi label out of El Paso were hired to record Hi's "white acts".

I released the previously unreleased LP on vinyl a few years back and I think there is a subsequent CD release as well.

A few of the Rockadelic LP's could be considered old school stoner rock.

Here's one by San Francisco's Shiver...... Classic Biker/Stoner rock.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This is a nice one that's not too hard to come by:

I've also been feeling this lately:

Stoner rock wasn't a consistent genre in the late-'60s/early-'70s, and as best as I can tell it can still be kinda patchy (depending on the band). But when it's good, it's good.

Newer bands:
    - Atomic Bitchwax
    - Velcro Lewis & his 100-Proof Band
    - that last Melvins album

Back in the day:
    - Dust
    - Blue Cheer
    - Bloodrock
    - Mint Tattoo
    - Love Machine (I just have a solitary single on Mercury; was there an album?)
    - Third Power
    - "You, I" by the Rugbys (this single smokes, but the album it came from is a big disappointment)

I'd name others, but I don't want to monopolize the thread. I will say that there was a really good compilation of this stuff that came out last year, featuring bands like Power of Zeus and Thunder & Roses...forget the title, but I can get back to you on that if you wanna know...

ok I seriously need to check out that Bar-Kays album

Power of Zeus is another one I like, as well as Mos Generator. I think I have the comp you're talking about but maybe not, lemme know what it is. and dude, monopolize away, I'm always down to hear names of good bands I haven't checked yet.

I like Artimus Pyledriver too but they sound just a bit too much like AC/DC for me to really dig them.

Eldemur Krimm is a good band too

the second one isn't showing up for me, what is it?

I was listening to that self-titled MGM album by Simon Stokes & the Nighthawks a while back...Stokes is considered the epitome of biker/stoner rock, and I'd be lying if I said it was good all the way through, but again, there's enough good moments to make it worthwhile.

Back in the day:

Iota was from El Paso, Tejas but recorded at Hi when the owners of the Suemi label out of El Paso were hired to record Hi's "white acts".

I released the previously unreleased LP on vinyl a few years back and I think there is a subsequent CD release as well.

I just checked Iota on stonerrock, good shit, I'm feeling Casa De Los Muertos off the Three Tons album, you got any more of the vinyl you did of theirs?

sidenote - Any of you stoner rock dudes feeling Wolfmother? I know they're kinda corny but I dig em. just wondering what the general consensus is.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I never heard The Black Rock album.

Can someone breakdown the diff btwn Stoner Rock and Psych?

I guess Psych is like acid influenced math rock and stoner rock is pot influenced metal. Psych is usually pretty trippy and quite often up beat and manic. Usually more about efects and wacky riffs. Stoner rock is usually slower, more drudging and deliberate with LOTS of distortion.

Psych is like riding a unicorn through a lolipop factory run by wizards.

Stoner Rock is like wading through mud with styrofoam wrapped around your head.

Nebula is good, though I'm not sure if they are still playing.

Fu-Manchu thinks they are stoner rock, but the singer kick the good musicians out for doing drugs and they formed Nebula.

Sleep is killer!!!!!!!!!

Sleep Chamber from Seattle was great.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Colour Haze was my shtt for a while a few months back:

and I can get down with Om and High on Fire in the right mood (and almost always w/ some Black Sabbath and Deep Purple).

Haven't heard much of the music so I can't comment in that respect... but damn, are these not some of the least appealing album covers to be grouped together in one post?

That Stonehenge is a killer.....I spoke to the guy who ran the label but he said Nasco had all the tapes.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    While The Hook Up may be too humble to toot his own horn, he upped a couple of dope stoner rock mixes recently. I'm having trouble searching for them, so I zipped them together for easy coppage.

I ride.

and I can get down with Om and High on Fire in the right mood (and almost always w/ some Black Sabbath and Deep Purple).

Haven't heard much of the music so I can't comment in that respect... but damn, are these not some of the least appealing album covers to be grouped together in one post?

good thing I wasn't asking who rides for the album art.

Another good band in this vein: Nitzinger, who had a few albums on Capitol and 20th Century. With a title like this, you can't go wrong: "Louisiana Cockfight" from their self-titled first album.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

no diss intended, it was just an observation. i know not to judge a book by its cover and generally like music of this genre.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Sleep is killer!!!!!!!!!

Yes.

Hawkwind, Om, Kyuss and I would even say Royal Trux. They don't have the typical sludgy, power-chord-heavy sound that's usually attributed to stoner rock, but the sound is definitely of the stoned variety imo.

Another good band in this vein: Nitzinger, who had a few albums on Capitol and 20th Century. With a title like this, you can't go wrong: "Louisiana Cockfight" from their self-titled first album.

Indeed....another Texas band, John Nitzinger was in the band Bloodrock prior to going solo.

El Diablo from Mexico has done some great 70's sounding stoner rock.

Kyuss is mostly good too.

thanks for the props GBH...I love me some headband and bellbottom steez...

I was hanging out with Dickie Peterson of Blue Cheer a couple weeks ago and he told me that they were getting the Lifetime Achievement Award from High Times...they were on their way to the ceremony in Austin...that must be the stoner rock grammy

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Clutch and Mastodon, too.

I may be repeating from above - I can't see all the images posted.

no diss intended, it was just an observation. i know not to judge a book by its cover and generally like music of this genre.

Yeah, I had the same thought upon entering this thread. None of that artwork is exactly selling the "stoner vibe".

That Stonehenge is a killer.....I spoke to the guy who ran the label but he said Nasco had all the tapes.

How much stuff did they record?

Speaking of killer tapes that are just being sat on and the owner doesnt want to do anything with them nor allow anyone else to do anything with them...there is an entire Black Rock (of "Yeah Yeah" fame)LPs worth of tapes sitting over at Selecto Hits..but dude wont do anything with them nor let anyone else do anything with them....bummer

thanks for the props GBH...I love me some headband and bellbottom steez...

Yeah, about that...looking at one of your previous posts, I'm surprised how many non-LP stoner rock SINGLES there were, 'cause this kind of music was ALBUM music from the gitgo, I'd say. Stoner-rock on 45 is like JAZZ on 45...

I was hanging out with Dickie Peterson of Blue Cheer a couple weeks ago and he told me that they were getting the Lifetime Achievement Award from High Times...they were on their way to the ceremony in Austin...that must be the stoner rock grammy

I've been slowly getting into a thing where I've been buying Blue Cheer spinoff records (in addition to Blue Cheer themselves). Mint Tattoo, Silver Metre, and former B.C. guitarist Leigh Stephens all had really good albums apiece...

the second one isn't showing up for me, what is it?

Just corrected my post with a wacker, more pixellated image. The record is "Fireball" by Deep Purple.

How much stuff did they record?

Speaking of killer tapes that are just being sat on and the owner doesnt want to do anything with them nor allow anyone else to do anything with them...there is an entire Black Rock (of "Yeah Yeah" fame)LPs worth of tapes sitting over at Selecto Hits..but dude wont do anything with them nor let anyone else do anything with them....bummer
    Not sure how much Stonehenge recorded.....there are at least 5 45's on the label that I have seen but they are not all rock.

There is so much stuff that could be re-issued if not for wacky label owners/band members it's a shame.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

That's so weird -- that is a sign from a forest preserve not far from where I grew up. Where is that band from? I've never heard them.