mid week finds (Ill buy that for a dollar related)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
not pretending its uber raer, just uber good and (was)uber elusive to me...white whale of mine...didnt really believe this record exsisted until about an hour ago, cant believe it took until March 2008 to finally find one in the field...enjoying this one right now, Beast on cotillion, some cool psych moves

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    That Beast record on Cotillion is indeed great. I need to upgrade my VG thrift copy.

• First time ever number of "uber"s used is greater than number of finds in same post.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    people hold on is kinda tough to find, but ive owned at least 3 copies in my life. however, "Curtis" i have NEVER seen anywhere other than in my friends collection. whats with these pretty-well-selling soul LPs being so difficult to track down?

Beast is cool, havent listened to that in a couple years. might have to tonight!

• people hold on is a white whale of mine -- i've actually found two empty copies of it at the flea market in the past two weeks. karma?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    If your anything like me, now that you have one copy of People Hold On, you will soon find 3 more, in increasingly better condition.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    people hold on seems to have drastically dried up some years ago. some dealers are calling it a $40 record now, and i guess i can see why.

nice Beast score too! damn i wish there was a"spinstreet" near me. whatever happened to stores that err on the side of too low prices?

Ako i thought i had a spare curtis for you but i cant find it now. crap! (i do have a spare roots w/o calendar, PM me if you need it)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    We've had threads before on whether or not people hold on is a $40 record. It is a $40 record.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If I saw "PHO" for $40 at my local shop, I'd buy it without hesitation.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    If your anything like me, now that you have one copy of People Hold On, you will soon find 3 more, in increasingly better condition.

maybe this is true.

here was how mine went:

1. VG- copy with the spine fixed with masking tape from my friend's dad's collection (free)
    2. VG copy with fine cover. (cheap)
    3. VG+ promo copy. (cheap)

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    people hold on is kinda tough to find, but ive owned at least 3 copies in my life. however, "Curtis" i have NEVER seen anywhere other than in my friends collection. whats with these pretty-well-selling soul LPs being so difficult to track down?

Sampling thats what has made these records more difficult to find.

Mr. Eddie Kendricks there sales at 100 dollars now if in Mint
    a VG copy can get you around 40 bucks
    and Curtis s/t I've never found but a sealed copy can get you 70 bucks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Nah. In 2008 dudes buying records for breaks/samples are cheapskates (unless they're making money off it).

Its tough to find clean - I think I've got three in varying degrees of VG/VG-

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Nah. In 2008 dudes buying records for breaks/samples are cheapskates (unless they're making money off it).

Its tough to find clean - I think I've got three in varying degrees of VG/VG-

so this is a case of actual scarcity in grade, which is refreshing. its a more... uh, mature kind of scarcity, as opposed to artificial scarcity from sample hoarding. it makes sense, these are classic albums that deserve respect when they turn up clean.

also i didnt mean to imply that i personally dont think its a $40 record, cuz i do. $40 definitely = great music + dont see it clean much if at all in any grade.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    more than $3 for Eddie Kendricks "people hold on"?

is this one of those leo sayer type of joke threads that i'm not in on yet?

• nessness 249 Posts
    don't count out the fact that date with the rain is a hellafied northern choon (sup soulhawk!!!).

hellafied northern choon

I like it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    more than $3 for Eddie Kendricks "people hold on"?

is this one of those leo sayer type of joke threads that i'm not in on yet?

Not a joke - as mentioned above, we had this thread a couple years ago when folks were initally surprised. Apparently it was never an easy find overseas and is gradually drying up here...

I'm still holding out for a cheap clean copy though [not-all-a-baller-related].

• nessness 249 Posts
    hellafied northern choon

I like it.

so do alot of geezers that ain't trying to pay in the double zeros for a single and some japanese dudes too.

i got $80 for it bitd a couple times.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I had an EX copy for $40 in a set sale last year. It didn't last long.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    ok i'll start snatching them shits up, just in case! i literally saw one tonight in the bottom bin somewhere...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    now I'm all excited I was prepping a bunch of LP's for ebay and in that bunch was Curtis and People Hold On.

All I found this week was high school stage band LP's that I don't plan to keep

• It's weird, I see 10 copies of Curtis for every copy of People Hold On. And I finally found my first copy of Date With The Rain on 45 after looking at what must be thousands of Kendrick's 45s over the years.

Yeah I got the date with the rain 45 a while back from someone on this board for $30 I think. I heard it went for big bucks. It's a great tune that I've played out a few times at various soul/funk gigs.

• I think it usually goes for about $75 or so (the 45). $30 is a great price.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    [color:red]We've had threads before on whether or not people hold on is a $40 record. It is a $40 record. [/color]

Even the reissue version from the eighties?

What reissue version from the 80s?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    [color:red]We've had threads before on whether or not people hold on is a $40 record. It is a $40 record. [/color]

Even the reissue version from the eighties?

is that the one that feels like its flexidisc?

• ok i'll start snatching them shits up, just in case! i literally saw one tonight in the bottom bin somewhere...

Rinked.

• is that the one that feels like its flexidisc?

Thats the one I had, thinnist vinyl ever. Didn't think it was a reissue tho.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Date With The Rain on 45 after looking at what must be thousands of Kendrick's 45s over the years.

Yup. Went through some old jukebox distirbutor stock last weekend and in the neverending Kendricks section there was NO Date with the Rain. There were multiples of Betty Wright "Man of Mine" though which made it worthwhile.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Yeah I got the date with the rain 45 a while back from someone on this board for $30 I think. I heard it went for big bucks. It's a great tune that I've played out a few times at various soul/funk gigs.

I think it usually goes for about $75 or so (the 45). $30 is a great price.

wh wha what??! This is the real news to me in this thread. I had no idea. That is a staple 45 in almost any old soul collection I go through.