What does it take to open a record store?

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I don't know how a shop full of vinyl LPs, in clearly marked sections like "jazz", "disco/dance 12"s", "soul, funk, R&B" etc could be confusing but I constantly have to explain what kind of shop it is to clueless people.

See, this is your problem right here. In 2008 those genre markers are no longer meaningful. Consider dividing your store up in the following way and watch your sales skyrocket.

"Breaks, yo!"
    "Gay loft"
    "Waxidermy"
    "New Age Colonic"
    "Fileable" (any record in sealed or better condition)
    "Gripper" (i.e. records you can flip for $10 profit. WIll save you from having your store turned inside out)
    "Miscellaneous white people"
    "Ethnic" (not to be confused with the "Ladysmith Black Mambazo" section)
    "K in Canada" (all JA related music, as well as covers without the records inside)
    "Beyond popsike"
    "Spiritual/Free Jazz"
    "Not Spiritual/Free Jazz"
    "Reynaldo"
    "Soul"

Hop hop should be filed into the following subsections.
    "Real Schitt"
    "Ignorant rap"
    "Kufi rap"
    "Backpacker"
    "Project Blowed Related"
    "Mase"
    '"Jel"

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

6) Two Japanese buyers who came last week. They only spent about $80 each and wanted discounts. I let one use the toilet and he clogged it up and was TERRIBLY embarassed.

I don't think our food agrees with many of our friends from the land of the rising son.
    I was recently in Seattle's arguably only boutique record store, Jive Time and one half
    of a Japanese digging duo asked to use the bathroom. The toilet is unfortunately very close
    to the counter/cash register area, and dude wrecked the spot BAD.
    I had already paid and was just shooting the shit with my man who runs the spot, and
    we were enveloped by the smell. I jetted leaving him to stew in the funk.
    I talked to him later and he told me the dude returned to the shitter numerous times.
    But it didn't really chap him all that much since hommie dropped a nice chunk of change.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The number one thing that should be taken into account is location. I like working at a record store, sure beats an office job... but it would be unbearable if we weren't in a neighborhood where there is a constant flow of foot traffic and interesting records to look at. I don't see how those middle of nowhere record store geezers can make it through the day. 75% of customers suck, but the cool 25% make owning or managing a record store bearable, and at times, fun.

Also, as much as a pain in the ass it is to stock and file CDs, I think record stores do themselves a disservice by not selling them. Most older folks who have records they don't want, or know people who have records they don't want, shop for CDs, and help spread the word/bring in the goods. Besides that, used CD's are quite profitable still (depending on your location), and help keep your shop afloat, and allow you to have a bad month or two if you're not selling/buying as much vinyl as you'd like.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I'm guessing that record/music afiliated magazines and posters can be good too....

The number one thing that should be taken into account is location. I like working at a record store, sure beats an office job... but it would be unbearable if we weren't in a neighborhood where there is a constant flow of foot traffic and interesting records to look at.

You mean someplace like Arizona?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The number one thing that should be taken into account is location. I like working at a record store, sure beats an office job... but it would be unbearable if we weren't in a neighborhood where there is a constant flow of foot traffic and interesting records to look at.

Location is important for finding records as well as for finding customers. I'm on a very busy commercial street with a bus stop right in front of my window. Almost daily someone wanders in and asks if we buy records.

Location is important for finding records as well as for finding customers. I'm on a very busy commercial street with a bus stop right in front of my window. Almost daily someone wanders in and asks if we buy records.

Oh shit! Is your store in Arizona? I am

I was just giving meaty a hard time because he's been talking about moving from Chicago to Arizona.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I hear they have mad funk & soul out in Arizona

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Arizona? When I said there aren't records in Santa Cruz I didn't mean less than Arizona.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    there was an article in the NY Times about a guy that drives around looking for rare denim in old mining towns & shit - maybe that could be a lateral move from records

lol

Record collector/dealer mantra #1 - Don't let records run your life.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    there was an article in the NY Times about a guy that drives around looking for rare denim in old mining towns & shit - maybe that could be a lateral move from records

lol

A baller in the record game ain't shit in the world of vintage jeans......$60K on ebay and I read about a pair that was found in an old mine shaft that the Levi Corp. paid considerably more for.

http://konsortium.typepad.com/konsortium/2006/12/worlds_most_exp.html

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always thought that a Record shop/cafe was a cool idea. Merging it w/ something mad regular, ala Halcyon in Brooklyn. Even though I dont think theyre around anymore.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I always thought that a Record shop/cafe was a cool idea.

This is an idea we've considered; you get a wider demographic, people hanging out and browsing, drinking, etc.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

4) hot brunette looking for Kate Bush records. said she'd be back.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This is an idea we've considered; you get a wider demographic, people hanging out and browsing, drinking, etc.

If you do this I'd suggest filling the walls with framed vintage or repro posters for sale.

Lot's of folks who don't buy records will buy art.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If you do this I'd suggest filling the walls with framed vintage or repro posters for sale.

Halcyon sold vintage furniture. Coffe tables,stools and shit. Just used stuff that people sat on but, was for sale.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

home of the Arlester Christian raers.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Ian Svenonius from the Make-Up.
    A girl I DJ with occaisionally would go absolutely bananas if she was ever in the same room as this dude, she has the hugest crush (borderline obsession) on him!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Halcyon sold vintage furniture. Coffe tables,stools and shit. Just used stuff that people sat on but, was for sale.
    The other record store that is worth a damn here is a cafe too. Seems to work well, coffee is cheap to make I guess & people always want it. It's a small store but seems to be surviving ok.

• nessness 249 Posts
    Record Store Model 2008

Storefront with large sign that simply states you buy used records.

Ads in all the local papers, Greensheets, etc. stating that you buy used records.

No stock for sale in store, no walk in customers.

Back room with computer, okay teen-age girl entering titles on ebay and you're the one man record cleaning/grading/shipping dept.

pretty good, but usually they have dollarbin skated stock in the front

"see? everythings a dollar"...

---

Sounds like a store i used to work at!!!

I just want some Kennelmus, Mighty Mike Lenenburg action, Artco 7"s, "Q", and I'm out.

• hi. this thread is funny. to answer dudes original question for me:

1) more start up capital than you think. 2) 13,000 Lps + 3000 12" + 3000 45s from my collection. Those are rough numbers, but not far off.

then I was blessed to buy a 12,000 Lp collection a month into being open. that really helped fill in the gaps in the so called "common" titles.

the record business is a tough business. when people even have just a little less money they stop buying records in favor of food, clothing, rent, and gas.

JP, I'm curious what branding moves you're making. I've been working on some ideas of my own.

most everything that has been said by JP, DJ NevilleC, The Hook Up, and meatyogre has been true. I don't need to elaborate.

The thing I tell most people I know that collect and flip records and have the shop dream is that records are a fun and enjoyable when all you are trying to do is make it a zero sum game. Think about it, if you find a few records for yourself and sell a few records to buy more records you can't find but want and cover the costs of the original records then you are cool. Its when you need to make money to feed yourself(and anyone that depends on you) that the whole equation changes.

oh, and you have to give up being a collector totally or to a great degree. that kills at least some of the fun.

I have fun at times, great records flow through my hands, I have a good location for the rent, and I have my shop in a city that is good for selling records. I love what I do, but it is not for most people on this board. you wouldn't want to do it and you probably couldn't.

make sense?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Its when you need to make money to feed yourself(and anyone that depends on you) that the whole equation changes.

oh, and you have to give up being a collector totally or to a great degree. that kills at least some of the fun.

Word on all that. When I see what kind of choices Cool Chris has to make in order to keep his store running - but sacrificing his own interests as a collector - it's some shit.

Question: How did you pick 13,000 LPs out of your own collection? I imagine that must have been a serious pain in the ass.

• nessness 249 Posts
    How did you pick 13,000 LPs out of your own collection?

MAN
    THE
    FUCK
    UP.

Word on all that. When I see what kind of choices Cool Chris has to make in order to keep his store running - but sacrificing his own interests as a collector - it's some shit.

The real is the amount of rent Chris pays.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How did you pick 13,000 LPs out of your own collection?

MAN
    THE
    FUCK
    UP.

Actually, I just meant logistically.

• nessness 249 Posts
    Actually, I just meant logistically.

i know, i know. just wanted to point it out. some hammering the 'some dude's ain't built for this' point. i mean i ain't i'm done. shit is not for me.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I have fun at times, great records flow through my hands, I have a good location for the rent, and I have my shop in a city that is good for selling records. I love what I do, but it is not for most people on this board. you wouldn't want to do it and you probably couldn't.

This is super true. what you, Neville, and Paychex have in common (having been fortunate enough to be friendly with all of you), is the gene that goes beyond 'collecting records', into something else. I joke around with Neville that he is a true vinyl junkie, his enthusiasm just never wanes, and his distractions are few even though he(like you and Paychex) are men of varied interests. I will be on the hunt for all kinds of flotsam and jetsam, records are one of my core things, but I get bored when shit is dry, and I love book hunting, antique hunting, etc etc. I couldn't do what you guys do and stay sane, let alone keep getting better at it. The focus is more important that a lot of other factors, and it's rarer and rarer to find. And it's what drives the knowledge that is so crucial in keeping the shops relevant, and not just crusty-dude hang outs.

• Word on all that. When I see what kind of choices Cool Chris has to make in order to keep his store running - but sacrificing his own interests as a collector - it's some shit.

i can only imagine. and chris really sees a lot.

Question: How did you pick 13,000 LPs out of your own collection? I imagine that must have been a serious pain in the ass.

the only way you justify it is to think the store is just your rotating collection. there are titles you love, you sell, you get again, you listen to, and sell again. Or maybe you just get to listen to them once. I've even gotten records back that I thought I'd never see again. When you really have a collection of 15,000 Lps, like I had, a lot of titles get unlistened to for long periods of time. It is almost better that they leave and come back. because you notice them, listen again, and love them.