What does it take to open a record store?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I guess this is directed to Johnny P and other like-minded individuals. What does it take to open a rec shop? How much inventory of your own vinyl did you put in? These are somewhat naive questions I know, but just curious. Not that I plan to open one, I just have fantasies of being a record store owner, a la High Fidelity.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    don't do it.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    don't do it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Oh come on dudes, indulge me with some stories on the glories of being a record shop owner.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    don't do it.

I never owned a record store, but I like to crush people's fantasies.

I'm already bitter, so I guess I would be a good record store dude

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Record Knowledge + The ability to keep quality records constantly coming in = Money in the bank.

With out those two thing, you can't even begin to contemplate funding, opening stock, location, hawt gurls to work the cash...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    i think you need a beard, and an appreciation for beer

Please discuss this aspect:

hawt gurls to work the cash...

The good: you see your friends all the time, nothing like sitting all day listening to records, obv I have seen way more records than I ever would normally and I've gotten some great stuff for the collection and tons of great stuff that I've sold but at least been able to enjoy. I come in every day to my record shop and nobody can tell me shit. I can pick blind from any corner and pull out a fantastic piece of music. During the tougher times of small business ownership, when it seems everyone is just trying to kill you dead... that's really soothing.

The bad: 12+ hour days, 7 days a week, 365, no days off (that's when you're working for yourself no matter what you do). Abuse from everyone from your elders ("they still buy records?") to your peers ("man I would never pay $25 for this when I could get it for $13 on ebay, no record is worth more than $10, plus I found that for $1 back in like 98 yo. People still buy records?"), you bust your ass looking through garbage collections, elbowing dudes at record conventions, paying more than anyone else just so you can get a crack at the hot titles, and for your trouble dudes front on the prices or the pieces and you end up selling the shit on eBay anyway.

I love what I do but there are easier ways to sell records and much easier ways to make money. I'll hopefully always own the record shop but business-wise I'm looking towards greater opportunities as well. God willing this year I'll be taking my brand to new places that will enhance everyone's experience, mine and the customers'.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Supply. You need constant supply. Depending on whether you want to go boutique like Good Records or just a regular record store.

These have been my thoughts:

With a boutique shop you need really good supply and reputation. You need to be able to purchase rare records at a high rate and sell them for even more. Not always do you stumble upon a collection of "dead stock gold" but I get the impression that many collectors, customers, and dealers sell their records to these boutique stores because they pay well and have the customers that will want those records.

With a regular shop you are going to need stock "for the masses". You need your zep, floyd, young, joni, sabbath, etc for days in nice shape. You move enough of that stuff for a fair price and you will do alright. However, with these shops its all location[/b] since not many non-record dudes are going to go out of their way to buy your CNSY records.

Also, if you do open a store, do one thing. Please keep your rare records in the shop for at least 2 weeks before flipping them on eBay. I do realize that shops need to sell on eBay sometimes to stay alive, but you never know what local customers want those records and are willing to pay. It really, really annoys me when shop owners put shit on eBay before giving us a chance.

I doubt I will ever open a record store in my city because I fear the drying supply.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    God willing this year I'll be taking my brand to new places that will enhance everyone's experience, mine and the customers'.

Good Records presents: 'Gripped' brand condoms...

---

you need both - a constant supply of rare records and common titles.

Of course, the rare snobs will scoff at a bin full of Zeppelin and Ramones LPs but the regular joes will not feel like flipping through 100 $40-100 rare soul LPs.

Basically you need volume like a motherfucker.

God willing this year I'll be taking my brand to new places that will enhance everyone's experience, mine and the customers'.

Good Records presents: 'Gripped' brand condoms...

---

Use 'em in your mailings!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Gripped Condoms???: Enhancing beef since 2008.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ("man I would never pay $25 for this when I could get it for $13 on ebay, no record is worth more than $10, plus I found that for $1 back in like 98 yo.")

I like the "got it" dudes who think the worthless skated copy they have at home of a record on your wall entitles them to announce to the whole store that they've "got it" and to scoff at the price.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i think you need a beard, and an appreciation for beer

Along with a surly attitude, disdain for people and body odor. Nothing worse then heading into an empty record store and being given the evil eye by the clerk. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a I-hate-record-stores thread.

("man I would never pay $25 for this when I could get it for $13 on ebay, no record is worth more than $10, plus I found that for $1 back in like 98 yo.")

I like the "got it" dudes who think the worthless skated copy they have at home of a record on your wall entitles them to announce to the whole store that they've "got it" and to scoff at the price.

I think Cool Chris said it best, "I take into account things like 'mint as fuck' and 'in the shrink'."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Please discuss this aspect:

hawt gurls to work the cash...

Record collectors are secluded loners. They will thow more cash than usually if the clerk is hot. This is a vain effort to impress the clerk with their A. Cash and B. Vicarious efforts to be cool via their music selections. Neither will succeed, but they will make you rich in the process. Plus, they will come back often and by crap just to get one more look before going home to stain the sheets.
    It's a scientific fact!

ew

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Record Store Model 2008

Storefront with large sign that simply states you buy used records.

Ads in all the local papers, Greensheets, etc. stating that you buy used records.

No stock for sale in store, no walk in customers.

Back room with computer, hot teen-age girl entering titles on ebay and you're the one man record cleaning/grading/shipping dept.

Similarly, what about the "record snob" dudes who come in, dont buy shit, but try to test the owner's knowledge of raer vinyl?

Record Store Model 2008

Storefront with large sign that simply states you buy used records.

Ads in all the local papers, Greensheets, etc. stating that you buy used records.

No stock for sale in store, no walk in customers.

Back room with computer, hot teen-age girl entering titles on ebay and you're the one man record cleaning/grading/shipping dept.

pretty good, but usually they have dollarbin skated stock in the front

"see? everythings a dollar"...

---

Similarly, what about the "record snob" dudes who come in, dont buy shit, but try to test the owner's knowledge of raer vinyl?

The shit people say to you as they're *not* paying you makes the eBay morons look positively friendly in comparison.

"Do you have any, like, dirrty jazz funk? I'm looking for stuff by this group ________."

Not knowing said group, I quickly google the name and find a myspace page of a bunch of guys in a loft in Bushwick who look like my younger sister. They don't even have *a* CD let alone vinyl.

What do you even say to someone like that? "Yeah sorry we don't carry that here."

The requests for "funky Brazilian psych", "jazzy funky no-wave disco", "Turkish breaks", "early Axelrod-sounding symphonic experiments"... they just keep coming. I blame the internet.

As a sociological study, there's gotta be some worth to taking a note of people who walk in and simply DO NOT GET what it is I do here. I don't know how a shop full of vinyl LPs, in clearly marked sections like "jazz", "disco/dance 12"s", "soul, funk, R&B" etc could be confusing but I constantly have to explain what kind of shop it is to clueless people.

If you are considering working for yourself, define how much you want to be paid per hour, and then consider whether this kind of interaction is worthwhile... lol.

The requests for "funky Brazilian psych", "jazzy funky no-wave disco", "Turkish breaks", "early Axelrod-sounding symphonic experiments"... they just keep coming. I blame SOUL STRUT[/b].

fixed for you. Although "turkish breaks" seems like a dope genre. Please to post some examples.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Although I dont own, just manage, a record store...I cosign on most of whats in this thread. My one bitter-record-store-guy thing is the people who come in out of curiousity and ask that dumb shit that makes me wanna shake the living shit outta someone question "do people still buy records?" all the while they are standing in a store with over 30 thousand of them..."No, we have only been in business for 20 years selling these $2 Rufus Thomas fridge magents by the register" A lot of times these people come in actually laughing that we sell records thinking it is the dumbest shit they have ever seen.

But yeah, ya gotta have the raer and ya gotta have the clean ass copies of Tom Petty...volume volume volume. Most customers come in looking for clean copies of Dylan and Zep and the like...somedays these people are your best customers, folks buying 20 copies of $8 meat and potatoes classic rock records..for the most part the chin scratcher collectro who has been scrutinizing that $100 Blue Note on the wall for the last 2 Frickin' months is the bane of your exisistence...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Shit, people use to laugh when we had 15-20 copies of Saturday Night Fever in the bins. But it was no problem selling 50 of them in a few months at 5 bucks a pop. I'd take a constant selling common over a rare record any day. you'll make more off it in the end. Tho, the heat makes the shop look nice. But they don't always pay the bills...

• "No, we have only been in business for 20 years selling these $2 Rufus Thomas fridge magents by the register"

Do people still buy Rufus Thomas fridge magnets?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Some of the people I've had to deal with in the shop the last few days (good, bad and ugly):

1) TWEAKED transexual going through the soul section at alarming speed and sniffling the whole time. told me she had been in here last year when she was a man. I reluctantly let her use my bathroom and she did buy two records (a Carol Dougla and a Marlena Shaw).

2) smelly homeless dude I had to physically throw out of the shop Saturday. He offered to show me his ass on the way out.

3) mom and 13-14 year old son having a fight in the shop because mom wouldn't buy him an Enimem record. she did buy him a Mary J. Blige though.

4) hot brunette looking for Kate Bush records. said she'd be back.

5) Japanese store buyer dropping $1000 (in crisp hundreds) yesterday for soul and jazz LP's.

6) Two Japanese buyers who came last week. They only spent about $80 each and wanted discounts. I let one use the toilet and he clogged it up and was TERRIBLY embarassed.

7) Two seperate visits today from flea market vendors giving me first crack at some pretty good records. One of the guys was visiting for the first time. I've spent years developing these relationships.

8) Friends from all over. Nitekrawler and Birdman are both here now as is Ian Svenonius from the Make-Up.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

The requests for "funky Brazilian psych

let me know when they get so frequent that its time to sell.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I had an argument with a dude that wanted "The Mizell Brothers album from the 70's".
    I blame Waxpoetics.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

The requests for "funky Brazilian psych", "jazzy funky no-wave disco", "Turkish breaks", "early Axelrod-sounding symphonic experiments"... they just keep coming. I blame SOUL STRUT[/b].

fixed for you. Although "turkish breaks" seems like a dope genre. Please to post some examples.

I pulled some of these from a blog, or maybe even RHKTD a while back. I can't get with a lot of the singing, but I will post up my faves tonight.