Putting A well known record dealer on blast!!

shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Ya or Nay, All this talk about set sale sellers what about well known record dealers on the east coast,westcoast,south, mid-west or shop owners...I was about to..but this person has hooked me up until I started buying shit they were too lazy to grade properly and over charge for shit because they didn't make they rent last month. SS, give your thoughts and stories.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Have you sorted it out with them?

If you've tried your best to make things amenable between yourself and this dealer and in your opinion they have done nothing to make the situation better (I am talking phone calls, etc), then I guess you have every right to put them on blast.

But if you are just being lazy, haven't properly addressed the situation with the dealer (I am talking phone calls, etc), then you're doing a really shitty thing to someone whose source of income depends on this stuff.

I know its tough sometimes stepping to a big dealer and saying "you fucked up", but its necessary. I felt [insert dealer here] over-graded a record once and it wasn't easy stepping to them, but we worked it out.

Some of these people have staff who make mistakes.

And in general people make mistakes. It's how they deal with them that matters, not that they made a mistake.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    you know I find it funny when I discover warped records being sold for top dollar at record shows or at a record shop. i always tell them.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Nay if it is done purely in the spirit of anger/revenge (which would be a bad look); yay as a last resort.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah i'd work it out first...that usually ends in positive results unless they're a complete jay-hole. though i would love to hear some entertaining stories from some of you guys about certain people/shops!

luckily [on the record store tip] i've been dealing with a stand up individual. i couldn't be more than happy. just wish there were some more hot, hot joints here & there, but it just goes with its geographical location of the states and what i'm looking for.

• Being somewhat of a dealer, I would want anyone who had problems with a transaction to get in touch so I could sort it out. I don't think too many of the dealers on here would get sore about someone's dissatisfaction. Record collectors are picky people, and if dealers have problems accommodating this mild ocd from time to time, this might not be the business for them.

• I'm not a record dealer but as far as warped records goes:
    I have gotten a lot of dead stock of private records from dudes who put the records out themselves and had copies sitting in their garages, etc. These records are almost always sealed and sitting shrinkwrapped for 30+ years can cause a record to act funny. Without rhyme or reason, at least 1-4 out of 5 records will be bowl warped from the pressure or even edge warped, but which ones anjd why is the mystery. Sometimes, if they are in a box then it's the middle 10 that are fine because of the pressure or other times its every other record, etc. I can't decode it - BUT, one time i opened a bunch of copies of a record and they were fine, and then i gave a bunch from the same box to cool chris in trade and they were all warped and i felt like crap. Fortunately he understood but it looked pretty bad...it was my bad for sure but too what solution - open every record?
    I guess the moral is never trust a sealed record, period.

Oops sorry for the rant, carry on with the putting people on blast.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How about simply stating what the problem is/was w/out the personal shit.

"So-and-So sold me an incorrectly graded record."

One bad transaction shouldnt mean the dealer is bad all the time.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

And in general people make mistakes. It's how they deal with them that matters, not that they made a mistake.

This is the point that a lot of people miss. We do all make mistakes. I've been on both sides of the grading divide, so if I have an issue with soemone else, I try to work it out with them up-front, and I also want people to do the same with me. We are all human, and I'd like to think that the times when I slipped up have taught me to be more scrutinising when grading from then on. I'd also like to think that I'm reasonable to deal with and I want people to be happy if I'm trading/selling/buying from/with them. I think if you approach it this way, you should be ok.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I find more warps in sealed records, new and used, than I do with used records.

Buying new records just sucks in 2008. Maybe I just have terrible luck, but half of the times I've bought new records this past year I have gotten a warp and it has been a bitch to deal with.

• Dude, let me know next time your coming down to LA.

• 2 !'s in the title and no names dropped??