3X DOPE Appreciation

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I wish they made more albums. Does anybody know their story?Live From AcknikolusLand is my shit. EST underated and Chuck Nice is fuckin nice.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    YES good shit.

EST the unusual FELLOW!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There was a time when I felt as a listener that Philly Hip Hop was really starting to eclipse NYC shit for a hot minute.

I always liked in the Linear Notes of Masta Ace's Take A Look Around where he lists the Hip Hop crews who embody the Power of the number 3.

"3XDope,3rd Base,De La Soul,to name a few.."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Honestly, I thought Live from Ackniculousland was kind of a let-down after that fantastic debut...I mean, it had some cuts on there, but that debut brought "The Greatest Man Alive," "Funky Dividends," and "Original Stylin'" to the table, all of which are Frickin' great songs. I bump that shit heavy to this day--love the beats, EST is killin' it.

Honestly, I thought Live from Ackniculousland was kind of a let-down after that fantastic debut...I mean, it had some cuts on there, but that debut brought "The Greatest Man Alive," "Funky Dividends," and "Original Stylin'" to the table, all of which are Frickin' great songs. I bump that shit heavy to this day--love the beats, EST is killin' it.

Think u should return to LFALand.

Mr SandMan - great usage of Funky Worm
    No Words....no words
    Mellow But Smooth.....yes

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Think u should return to LFALand.

Mr SandMan - great usage of Funky Worm
    No Words....no words
    Mellow But Smooth.....yes

Yes...and I like "Make Ya Money" as well. I just like Original Styling better.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i appreciate.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    There was a time when I felt as a listener that Philly Hip Hop was really starting to eclipse NYC shit for a hot minute.

they seem to have had the best djs at that time too. cash money, tat money, jazzy jeff, even dj too tuff from the tuff crew was dope...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Funky Dividends has to be one of the best Rap Love Songs evar.

Is "Linear Notes" becoming a legit strut term now?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Live From AcknikolusLand is my shit.

Mellow But Smooth is on my personal top tracks of all time list.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

3:22 =

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I always liked in the Linear Notes of Masta Ace's Take A Look Around where he lists the Hip Hop crews who embody the Power of the number 3.

Oh hell yeah! Probably the pinnacle of the Philly hiphop era. Whatever happened to the Acknickolous one?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    it's all about this....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Oh hell yeah! Probably the pinnacle of the Philly hiphop era. Whatever happened to the Acknickolous one?

EST is still around. Last time I saw him I know he was doing a lot of ghostwriting, working with Lil' Kim, Beyonce, Scott Storch etc. A lot of them dudes are doing well, thankfully.

I wrote a long thing a while ago and can't find it now, but it was about "LFAL" and how it was an incredible and innovative album because it was a very MATURE record, particularly with the sound they had for that record. The development between "OS" and that record showed a lot. They actually have a third album from the 90s, as well as another "demo" album that I heard back in the day and was floating around on cassette.

But yeah, Philly was and always will continue to be a huge part of the story and climate of hip-hop.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Now let me ask this...

Larry Larr VS E.M.C.E.E. Mechanism?

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    No Words

my favoritest. i'm hoping someone will upload their live performance of this song on b.e.t.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

EST is still around. Last time I saw him I know he was doing a lot of ghostwriting, working with Lil' Kim, Beyonce, Scott Storch etc. A lot of them dudes are doing well, thankfully.

I wrote a long thing a while ago and can't find it now, but it was about "LFAL" and how it was an incredible and innovative album because it was a very MATURE record, particularly with the sound they had for that record. The development between "OS" and that record showed a lot. They actually have a third album from the 90s, as well as another "demo" album that I heard back in the day and was floating around on cassette.

But yeah, Philly was and always will continue to be a huge part of the story and climate of hip-hop.

Good to hear, it's cool that some of the OG Hilltop Hustlers are still in the game.

To me, EST had one of the illest deliveries and much swagger and charisma. And the beats of that era were just incredible.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just finally got the first LP on vinyl after only
    having it on cassette for, what, 20 years? Great album.

I've had the "Funky Dividends" 12" for a minute, too.
    One of my favorite songs to um "rap along" to.

Cause the same way you're trying to get somebody, you can get got ...

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Now let me ask this...

Larry Larr VS E.M.C.E.E. Mechanism?

Being that i've only heard Mechanism on tuff crews "back to wreck shop" lp, and Larry Larr from his first single on columbia,(i didn't buy the lp when it came out cause I wasn't feelin the single) I'd have to go with Mechanism. He sounds suspiciously like Grand Pubah from krown Rulers though.......

• This is their best release for me....B side is killer as well but they did a lot of great songs.

BTW A great new mixtape just came out by Aroe & The Soundmakers - The Wreckshop Vol 1.

50 or so Philly classics, rare and unreleased (ie Phill Most Chill) from the late 80's superbly mixed and just a great listen.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

50 or so Philly classics, rare and unreleased (ie Phill Most Chill) from the late 80's superbly mixed and just a great listen.

you gotta love the cover art on this. REAL dope mix, too... i'm honored to be included with dudes like 3X, my boy Jazz and Robbie B, Jeff & Will, Too Tuff etc.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

you gotta love the cover art on this. REAL dope mix, too... i'm honored to be included with dudes like 3X, my boy Jazz and Robbie B, Jeff & Will, Too Tuff etc.

Phill, did you do the cover art? Looks like your style. Very dope. Where can we cop that? Is it on wax?

Phill, did you do the cover art? Looks like your style. Very dope. Where can we cop that? Is it on wax?

This looks like the dude who did the Schooly-D stuff. Phill's stuff seems to lean more towards the superhero steez. A more controlled line quality.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

TYou can get it here...

http://www.concourserecords.com/o/

Grab his UK mix "Crown Jewels" while your there !!!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i can appreciate for sure.