First song you can remember liking as a child?

2»

Comments

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
    Styx - Renegade

When I was a kid I had a little AM radio by my bed I'd have playing every night as I went to sleep. It was always on an AOR station (if they even had a term like that back in the 70's) and those three songs were the earliest ones I can remember. I mostly remember "Renegade" because for some reason it kind of scared the crap out of me as a kid, all that talk of the hangman and just the eerie opening of the song.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder

I used to play it as loud as I could with my little boombox when I was in the shower when I was little. haha, wow, memories

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My brother and sister and I copped 4 45s when I was about 4 years old. They were on endless repeat.
    Christmas Song Chipmunks
    Battle Of New Orleans Johnny Horton
    Beep Beep Playmates
    Boweevil Brook Benton

They were all novelty songs, even if that was not the artistic intent on 2 of them.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My step-grandfather, Guisseppe "Joe" Iconetti had some 45's that I listened to as a kid....Sam Cooke "Everybody Loves The Cha Cha Cha" and Hank Ballard "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go" are the two I remember best.

He also had some Redd Foxx and Skillet & Leroy LP's hidden in the closet.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

All night long! (all night)

i thought this was a serious jam.
    and still do.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Itsy Bitsy Spider?
    Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star?
    Teddy Bears Picnic?

oh wait... as a child...
    not a baby.

lemme get back to you

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Salt "Hung Up"

true story.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

i thought this was a serious jam.
    and still do.

There is this book out right now that my coworker keeps telling me to get, about how music and our mind works. There is an interesting section supposedly that details how we start forming our musical tastes for the rest of our lives when we are little kids.

All Night Long = early afro-caribbean disco vibes

This theory makes perfect sense.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Eagles - Hotel California
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
    Styx - Renegade

When I was a kid I had a little AM radio by my bed I'd have playing every night as I went to sleep. It was always on an AOR station (if they even had a term like that back in the 70's)

Shoot, that's when the term AOR was invented. And it meant "album oriented rock," so most of them stations were gonna be on FM. :-)

As for me, I don't remember THE first song, nor do I remember whether I "liked" them or not (I just absorbed them) but here are some of the earliest cuts I recall hearing as a kid, either from parents or my friends' older siblings:

"Hungry Country Girl" Otis Spann
    "Rock Steady" Aretha Franklin
    "She's All I Got" (there was a soul version and a country version of this song out around the same time - I probably heard both, since dad played country radio and mom listened to soul stations)
    "Walking In The Rain With The One I Love" Love Unlimited
    "Let's Stay Together" Al Green
    "Sugar Daddy" Jackson Five
    "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
    "Gimme Some More" JB's
    "Dancing In The Street" Martha & the Vandellas

All of these were popular songs on the radio at the time, with the exception of the Martha/Vandellas song, which was a 45 played around the house. The most obscure song here is the Otis Spann, a downhome blues that somehow became a big regional hit on soul stations in '71 (even though Spann was already dead by then).