LeBron James Kicks???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
I've always paid attention to what kicks dudes are rockin. I dont see anybody in NYC sportin' Lebron James' Sneakers. Nike has been shovin' this cat down the public's throat. I dont see the reciprocity in the streets. Are people wearing his kicks in your respective hoods?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I've always paid attention to what kicks dudes are rockin. I dont see anybody in NYC sportin' Lebron James' Sneakers. Nike has been shovin' this cat down the public's throat. I dont see the reciprocity in the streets. Are people wearing his kicks in your respective hoods?

Some (Akron... ha)

• Honestly, they're not that hot. They might be good function-wise, but style is what counts,especially in NYC. The design is poor. I've only seen very few heads rock 'em, aside from little kids. The first LeBron's were nice but the second is ugly and I've seen pictures of the next ones on Niketalk, and they're even uglier. ALSO, they're expensive and Nike has a few nicer models out at similar prices. So does Adidas.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I've always paid attention to what kicks dudes are rockin.

Ayo.

Just kidding that's legit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Honestly, they're not that hot. They might be good function-wise, but style is what counts,especially in NYC. The design is poor. I've only seen very few heads rock 'em, aside from little kids. The first LeBron's were nice but the second is ugly and I've seen pictures of the next ones on Niketalk, and they're even uglier. ALSO, they're expensive and Nike has a few nicer models out at similar prices. So does Adidas.

Yeah. With all that damn hype, I'm surprised the streets are taking the bait.They usually do. The next one are worse than these current ones. I'm curious about the suburbs, or other major cites.

• That's why Nike will pay him extra to sign with NY, LA, or Chicago after next season. They need him in a major market city. I hope he goes to the Knicks. Shit will be ridiculous.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That's why Nike will pay him extra to sign with NY, LA, or Chicago after next season. They need him in a major market city. I hope he goes to the Knicks. Shit will be ridiculous.

I don't see that happening... but I could see him as a Brooklyn Net in a few years.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

but I could see him as a Brooklyn Net in a few years.
    That shit just doesn't sound right.

• The Brooklyn Nets are gonna murder the merchandising. Imagine how many kids will be rockin' Vince Carter or Jason Kidd jersey with "BROOKLYN" on the front...the baseball caps....crazy

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Someone help me out:

What is Lebron doing on the cover of the Source (?) with Jay-Z, Foxy Brown and Kanye???

Is he rapping these days? Shit maybe I need a late pass.

The Brooklyn Nets are gonna murder the merchandising. Imagine how many kids will be rockin' Vince Carter or Jason Kidd jersey with "BROOKLYN" on the front...the baseball caps....crazy

I don't think either of those guys are still gonna be with the franchise at that point...

A Kenyon Martin BROOKLYN jersey would have been a nice look, though.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Someone help me out:

What is Lebron doing on the cover of the Source (?) with Jay-Z, Foxy Brown and Kanye???

Is he rapping these days? Shit maybe I need a late pass.

LeBron James is all encompassing.

Catholic School can do it for you too!

Will Larry Hughes the right fit?

• That's why Nike will pay him extra to sign with NY, LA, or Chicago after next season. They need him in a major market city. I hope he goes to the Knicks. Shit will be ridiculous.

I don't see that happening... but I could see him as a Brooklyn Net in a few years.

none of the above will ever happen. in order to make up the difference between what lebron can get from cleveland and a capped out knicks/nets under the new collective bargaining agreement nike would have to be down for an additional $80 million or so. even the difference between a max deal outside of cleveland and the one the cavs can make (additional 2.5 percent annual raise and extra year on the contract) will be in the tens of millions of dollars. nba players don't leave that kind of money on the table. he's not signing elsewhere.

by the time the nets move to brooklyn (2009) their current core will be all but gone, so in my opinion the best marketing move they could possibly make would be to do what it takes to get sebastian telfair. maybe him and a re-signed shareef abdur-rahim for kidd? doubtful that portland would take on kidd's salary at this point in his career given the youth of their core roster but it would be worth a shot. he'll only be about 25 when they relocate.

• I know personally as a Wizards fan I'm pretty sad to see him go. I like Larry Hughes, he's one of the few NBA guys I've seen that went and played against the And 1 guys at an exhibition. He seems to be able to create spontaneously, and watching him play with Arenas was great. I foresee many sportscenter highlights and maybe a low seed in the east next year. They still need a shooter and another option at the point. I don't see LeBron staying past the end of this deal, too much to gain from being elsewhere. Who knows what the fucking shithouse Knicks will look like by the time he's available. I think they gave two 1st rounders to the Spurs in the Malik Rose deal. Getting Tim Thomas and Allen Houston off the books would be a good start. Thinking about the Knicks made me feel better about the Wizards.

I know personally as a Wizards fan I'm pretty sad to see him go. I like Larry Hughes, he's one of the few NBA guys I've seen that went and played against the And 1 guys at an exhibition. He seems to be able to create spontaneously, and watching him play with Arenas was great. I foresee many sportscenter highlights and maybe a low seed in the east next year. They still need a shooter and another option at the point. I don't see LeBron staying past the end of this deal, too much to gain from being elsewhere. Who knows what the fucking shithouse Knicks will look like by the time he's available. I think they gave two 1st rounders to the Spurs in the Malik Rose deal. Getting Tim Thomas and Allen Houston off the books would be a good start. Thinking about the Knicks made me feel better about the Wizards.

I was sorry to see him leave the Wizards as well. But now they can really start putting pieces together.(in cleveland).

• I know personally as a Wizards fan I'm pretty sad to see him go. I like Larry Hughes, he's one of the few NBA guys I've seen that went and played against the And 1 guys at an exhibition. He seems to be able to create spontaneously, and watching him play with Arenas was great. I foresee many sportscenter highlights and maybe a low seed in the east next year. They still need a shooter and another option at the point. I don't see LeBron staying past the end of this deal, too much to gain from being elsewhere. Who knows what the fucking shithouse Knicks will look like by the time he's available. I think they gave two 1st rounders to the Spurs in the Malik Rose deal. Getting Tim Thomas and Allen Houston off the books would be a good start. Thinking about the Knicks made me feel better about the Wizards.

hughes was a nice fit in washington, but don't forget that jarvis hayes is a very capable scorer and has played well when given the minutes. hughes is also a big risk - he's only had one all-star caliber season in seven tries and he's injury prone. he and lebron could be great together (easily the best perimeter defending tandem in the league), but they'll have a huge hole at SG if he's sitting out.

i think antonio daniels would be a great addition at the PG slot in cleveland. him or sarunas jasikevicious. they need some players who can shoot the ball and i think they really miss jason kapono.

and the knicks GOT the two first rounders in the rose/mohammed deal. that's the only reason they did it. the sad reality for knicks fans, though, is that it will still be impossible to get james, even with thomas, penny, houston, and mo taylor off the books.

I was sorry to see him leave the Wizards as well. But now they can really start putting pieces together.(in cleveland).

One of the more entertaining aspects of watching the Wizards play was Larry Hughes' amusing resemblance to Juelz Santana.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solid Juelzian pics of Hughes online...

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solid Juelzian pics of Hughes online...

Dont watch him, watch ESPN

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    so in my opinion the best marketing move they could possibly make would be to do what it takes to get sebastian telfair. maybe him and a re-signed shareef abdur-rahim

There is no way Portland is getting rid of Telfair. Portland is banking their future on him and Randolph.

You add on to that Portland easily was the team the got the most outta the draft with Martell Webster & Jarrett Jack. You have a championship caliber team in 3-4 years on the level of the early 90s Trail Blazer squad.....unless of coarse management fucks it all up.

Nate McMillan signing a fat contract to coach the team is all icing on the cake.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i got them black low-tops. not too many cats this way are sportin em. mainly the og burgundy/blacks.

portland is cursed. i think they will deal abdur rahim before the start of the season for the simple fact that him and randolph play the same position (randolph was complaining about playing center..280lb bitch)...and although he can play SF, they just gave darius miles a ton of undeserved money @ SF so i think they may deal sharif

• i agree that there's no way portland cuts bait on bassy just yet. not after going out on a limb for him so publicly in the draft. i'm just pointing out that he'd be the perfect marketing piece for a brooklyn-based team .... being a lincoln high legend and everything.

i don't agree that portland had the best draft though. it was good, definitely. jarrett jack will probably be a career backup (although he'll definitely HAVE a career, which is a good start) but there are concerns about martell being versatile and athletic enough to keep up with NBA shooting guards. the question is whether he'll be closer to glen rice in his prime or to wesley person.

portland fans should be pretty excited about travis outlaw. that kid could be really, really good.

Rahim has already packed his bags...hes gone.

With Stoudamire gone I think Telfair will shine. Jack on the other hand probably will be a career back up but I see him as being just as good as any of the other point guards in the draft (cept Chris Paul). Not to mention he is 6-3 so he will probably get a little time at shooting guard???....probably take some of Van Exels minutes since the next few years will be a rebuilding campaign.

Everybody compares Webster with Rice. Besides both being great outside shooters I don???t see it. Rice lived and died on the outside shot. Webster has a nice mid range J and he can finish the break.....Rice was poor in both those areas.

I might be dreaming...but I see Webster as a 20 and 10 player in a few years.

The only thing up in the air is what the Blazers are going to do at the 2. I was hoping we would get Larry Hughes???..but the Cavs got to him first. Are there any decent 2s left?

Speaking of Webster check this out..... ???Webster has not had an ordinary childhood. When Webster was five, his mother, Cora McGuirk, disappeared and was presumed to be among the many victims of the Green River killer. Her car was found, abandoned, but her body never was located.???

He was quoted in the paper, as saying the first thing he was going to do with his money was open up an orphanage.

Oh???.Huge COSIGN on Outlaw.

• My hope is that the Wizards can maybe sign-and-trade with the Mavs and dump off Kwame for Michael Finley somehow. I don't know the financial specifics, so other players might have to be involved to make the salaries fit. Washington could use an experienced perimeter player and the Mavs obviously are perennially in search of an inside presence. They paid Evan fucking Eschmayer for gods sake. I like Hayes, in fact the Wizards have one of the deeper benches in general. I think they can still be competitive without Hughes, and tying up most of your salary
    cap with the backcourt is a bad move anyway. They just seemed more inclined to make the necessary plays when he was in the game. That makes sense about the Knicks deal, I thought it sounded retarded even by their standards.

• Just read that we might trade Kwame for Caron Butler. That'll work too.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Kwame for Caron Butler.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FUCKIN KUPCHAK!!!

• Yeah, it is less sensible from the lakers perspective. Who knows though, either him and Bynum will pan out and Kupchak looks like a genius, or the opposite, slightly more likely scenario comes to pass and they are epic busts.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Everybody compares Webster with Rice. Besides both being great outside shooters I don’t see it. Rice lived and died on the outside shot. Webster has a nice mid range J and he can finish the break.....Rice was poor in both those areas.

I might be dreaming...but I see Webster as a 20 and 10 player in a few years.

He was quoted in the paper, as saying the first thing he was going to do with his money was open up an orphanage.

I think you're reaching on Martell. He's a great kid from my neighborhood but I don't think he has the quickness to be a great two. I could see him being more effective at the three.

BTW way to take our coach. He won't last 3 years with that roster. You guys haven't been good enough to be considered a rival but now its on!

Yeah, it is less sensible from the lakers perspective. Who knows though, either him and Bynum will pan out and Kupchak looks like a genius, or the opposite, slightly more likely scenario comes to pass and they are epic busts.

Who else peeped Bynum's myspace page before it was taken down?

Have you seen Websters numbers in the Summer league? He's going to get some minutes this year. I may reaching a little....but I'm sure you know Portlands history with the draft.....this is our best pick since Drexler...so you know us Portland folk are going to hype him as much as possible.

I smell that I-5 rivalry heating back up also.

We're gonna take it back to the Xavier McDaniel vs. Jerome Kersey days.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Trail Blazers Roster

2005-06 Roster

33 Shareef Abdur-Rahim (FA) F 6-9 245 12/11/1976 California '99 9
    1 Derek Anderson G 6-5 195 07/18/1974 Kentucky '97 8
    4 Maurice Baker G 6-2 200 07/28/1979 Oklahoma State '02 1
    14 Richie Frahm (FA) G 6-5 210 08/14/1977 Gonzaga '01 2
    Jarrett Jack ** G 6-3 202 10/28/1983 Georgia Tech R
    38 Viktor Khryapa F 6-9 210 08/03/1982 Russia 1
    23 Darius Miles F-G 6-9 210 10/09/1981 East St. Louis HS (IL) 5
    25 Travis Outlaw F 6-9 210 09/18/1984 Starkville HS (MS) 2
    21 Ruben Patterson F-G 6-5 223 07/31/1975 Cincinnati '98 7
    10 Joel Przybilla C 7-1 255 10/10/1979 Minnesota '00 5
    50 Zach Randolph F 6-9 253 07/16/1981 Michigan State '01 4
    42 Theo Ratliff C-F 6-10 235 04/17/1973 Wyoming '95 10
    5 Ha Seung-Jin C 7-3 305 08/04/1985 South Korea 1
    3 Damon Stoudamire (FA) G 5-10 174 09/03/1973 Arizona '95 10
    31 Sebastian Telfair G 6-0 160 06/09/1985 Abraham Lincoln HS (Brooklyn, NY) 1
    19 Nick Van Exel G 6-1 190 11/27/1971 Cincinnati '93 12
    Martell Webster G-F 6-7 210 12/04/1986 Seattle Prep HS (WA) R

HEAD COACH Nate McMillan (College - North Carolina State '86)
    ASSISTANT COACHES Jim Lynam (College - St. Joseph's (PA) '63)
    Dan Panaggio (College - SUNY Brockport '77)
    John Loyer (College - Akron '88)
    Bernard Smith (College - East Stroudsburg (PA))
    Tim Grgurich (College - Pittsburgh '66)
    STRENGTH-AND-CONDITIONING COACH Bob Medina (College - UNLV '88)
    ATHLETIC TRAINER Jay Jensen (College - Loma Linda '80)

Trash