Q for Reggae/Rocksteady/Studio1 heads:

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Bumps Oakley "Get a Lick" Generally heard on the Studio One LP "Rocksteady Coxsone Style" or the "Clement Dodd: Musical Fever" comp. from Trojan. But was this ever put out on 45? I've yet to come across one and google wasn't any help either. The track is tuff as nails but the fidelity on the LP is kind of shitty, especially for DJing purposes. lurkers don't fail me now!

Comments

• I've never seen it on 45, but you should be able to find a copy of rocksteady coxsone style that is loud/clear enough to play out, my copy is. Look for any pre-80's issue and the sound is solid. The tune is said to be the basis for shinehead's billie jean cover and I agree with it's radness just a tough little sad tune.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Never heard that original riddim to Shinehead's Mama Used To Say/BIllie Jean before. Nice.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    I have the original of "Rock Steady Coxsone Style" (let's just say a pre-1980 pressing-"original press" is a questionable term to use w/ Studio One). Mine sounds great on lp, I think you got a typical repress. I'd be skeptical about the quality of the 45 press, too...

I want to know who the hell Bumps Oakley is. I know that Johnny Osbourne had the nickname "Bumps" (for acne), but it doesn't sound like him.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Never heard that original riddim to Shinehead's Mama Used To Say/BIllie Jean before. Nice.

Doesn't really sound the same to me, but...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Also has a side with Norma Frazier for First Cut is the Deepest - "Rugged Girl"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    My press is definitely "old". Its not the original label but the yellow/orange one. I assumed it was a late-70s press but I guess theres no way to really tell.

Its one of the few LP cuts I spin at my night, so maybe it just ends up sounding muddy in comparison to the 7s. That 45 looks like a pretty modern pressing, but probably worth a shot. Thanks!